Thinking about taking a break after undergrad...best time to take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jv00927

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about taking a year off after undergrad. When's the best time to take the MCAT: April of Junior year, August before senior, or April of Senior year?

Members don't see this ad.

If ur taking a year off I recommend taking it april of senior yr..........then send out ur application materials ASAP....june is best. If you do not think u will do great on mcats........i recommend taking it august after junior year and then u can retake them if u need to senior year in april.

I would take it earlier than april of senior year. You have no idea how you will do on your MCAT, so that way if you don't do as well as you hope the first time, you can try again. Then you can spend your year off without the stress of worrying about your MCAT score - you can just be stressed about whether or not you're going to get in!!! :) Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
evajaclynn said:
I would take it earlier than april of senior year. You have no idea how you will do on your MCAT, so that way if you don't do as well as you hope the first time, you can try again. Then you can spend your year off without the stress of worrying about your MCAT score - you can just be stressed about whether or not you're going to get in!!! :) Good luck. :luck:
Taking it August after your Junior year would provide you with an opportunity to retake without delaying applications if necessary and the summer to focus on prepping for the test, assuming you wont be taking classes. Seems like a win win.

YzIa said:
Taking it August after your Junior year would provide you with an opportunity to retake without delaying applications if necessary and the summer to focus on prepping for the test, assuming you wont be taking classes. Seems like a win win.

Agreed. I'm taking the august 2005 MCAT for those same reasons :thumbup:

Yeah go with August before Senior year, and then hopefully not, but if need be, you can retake in April during Senior year. You'll know from your first score where you need to improve, or if you're just looking to improve your score regardless, you will know what the test is like, and how to study for it....good luck!! :luck:

i took it april of my senior year because i needed to finish all the prereq classes for the mcat...they were all fresh in my mind and i took kaplan and did fine. i guess that's just to say that if you take it april of senior year, you definitely aren't hurting your application. but feel free to take it earlier if you want / aren't sure how you'll do the first time / want to get it over with.....