Thinking about withdrawing from the semester vs withdrawing from a few classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fedekz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a transfer student to a top 25 private university from a community college / high ranked state school. Here is my situation, I have about 60-70 credits with a GPA of 3.8. I just transferred to this university, and started working as a paramedic for the first time. At my last school I just went to school full time and didn't work, so having a job was new to me. Well I bit off more than I could handle with my study habits. I used to be able to stay up all night before the test and read all the material for the first time, and it worked out perfectly. However now that I'm working 70 hours a week, its having a huge impact on me. I stay up 24 hours, then get off, have 1.5 hours of sleep, then go to school, then drive straight from work back to school. Repeat that just about everyday. I'm not trying to make excuses, it is entirely my fault - i have extremely poor study habits that need to change. My question is, do you guys think I should withdraw from the semester ? If I withdraw now I will NOT get any W's. And just start up again next semester ? Or just withdraw from one class, and change the rest to pass/fail (I'm sure I can pass them ). I have a full tuition waiver, so withdrawing will not cost me anything, nor will it effect next semester. I would just work this semester, and go prn/part time next semester for school.

If I change my classes to p/f they won't count for my major so id have to retake them anyway.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm a transfer student to a top 25 private university from a community college / high ranked state school. Here is my situation, I have about 60-70 credits with a GPA of 3.8. I just transferred to this university, and started working as a paramedic for the first time. At my last school I just went to school full time and didn't work, so having a job was new to me. Well I bit off more than I could handle with my study habits. I used to be able to stay up all night before the test and read all the material for the first time, and it worked out perfectly. However now that I'm working 70 hours a week, its having a huge impact on me. I stay up 24 hours, then get off, have 1.5 hours of sleep, then go to school, then drive straight from work back to school. Repeat that just about everyday. I'm not trying to make excuses, it is entirely my fault - i have extremely poor study habits that need to change. My question is, do you guys think I should withdraw from the semester ? If I withdraw now I will NOT get any W's. And just start up again next semester ? Or just withdraw from one class, and change the rest to pass/fail (I'm sure I can pass them ). I have a full tuition waiver, so withdrawing will not cost me anything, nor will it effect next semester. I would just work this semester, and go prn/part time next semester for school.

If I change my classes to p/f they won't count for my major so id have to retake them anyway.

Thanks

Honestly, I think you should be looking at quitting your job at this point. School is way more important than work. If it is a question of supporting yourself financially, you should be able to take out a loan to cover cost of living expenses, or find a less stressful job to do the same. Is there a reason you're not considering this?

I have thought of it, but I was trying to avoid loans all together through undergraduate. I also really like my job, but doing it 70 hours a week isnt doing me any good. I was planning on significantly cutting back my hours next semester that way I can focus on school. But that still doesn't solve what I should do for this semester. School started 6 weeks ago, and we have already had our first tests where I didn't do as well as I wanted to, and its either I withdraw for the semester .... the deadline to withdraw without a record is tomorrow, or withdraw from a class or two, then switch to pass/fail. My only issue is that if i take a major class p/f, it wont count towards my degree. Just looking for some opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
withdraw. Taking only a few classes pass/fail will not look good at all when it comes to apply. Withdraw, try to save some money this semester, then work as little as possible next semester.

Is everyone else in favor of withdrawing from the semester?

I went in and got some P/F forms, and you can only take 1 class P/F per semester .... so I'm looking at taking one class for a grade (currently have an A- in that class), and one class P/F ... for a total of 2 classes. OR I would just withdraw from the semester?

Any more opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Honestly, I think you should be looking at quitting your job at this point. School is way more important than work. If it is a question of supporting yourself financially, you should be able to take out a loan to cover cost of living expenses, or find a less stressful job to do the same. Is there a reason you're not considering this?

I have to agree with Astarael on this one. School>Work

I have to agree with Astarael on this one. School>Work

I totally agree with that as well, and next semester I will definitively live by that. However, this first semester is still an issue, because I can go PRN right now, but I've still already done damage to my grades because we have been in class for about 6-7 weeks now, and already taken all our first exams. So I completely agree that school and work are going to get switched up next semester, but I'm trying to solve the first semester right now because the last day to withdraw without a record is tomorrow.