Thinking of a big move

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mokal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Im a third year med student in Egypt. I've finished 3rd year now and going onto 4th. Our system here is 6 years.

The first 3 years of medical school cover basic medical sciences (Anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, histology, behavioral science, pharmacology, pathology, microbiology), while the last 3 years are clinical sciences.

Im considering joining med school in the US, no particular state in mind. But to start off, is it possible to join a med school without a previous undergraduate degree? If I do the MCAT and proof of my 3 years in med school is it possible to join med school? I know I'll start from zero, butt I dont mind that. I just want to know if its possible.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Generally, a BA/BS degree is required for admittance, so if you don't earn one from your school after 3-4 years, this will be a problem.

2. To apply, you need to take pre-requisite courses: at a minimum, 1 year Bio, 1 year chem, 1 year O chem, 1 year physics.

3. In addition to good grades, pre-reqs, and good MCAT, US Med Schools require some combination of volunteering, clinical experience, and research.

4. It is more difficult, statistically, for international medical students to get in.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will take years longer than simply completing six years at your current institution.

You also need to have a minimum of 90 credits taken at an American institution, whether you already ahve a degree or not.

It seems like it would take you the same amount of time to just qualify for medical school here as it would for you to finish in your home program. You would also have a harder time getting in here as int'l applicants need to have higher numbers to be accepted.

Do you not feel you would have a good chance at getting a US residency as a FMG?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for your help...I was just considering moving to the US and if it would be easy to continue over there.

But it seems complicated so I'll stick to Egypt until Im done

Thanks a lot for your help...I was just considering moving to the US and if it would be easy to continue over there.

But it seems complicated so I'll stick to Egypt until Im done
Study medicine at your home country, do some specialty training, and then decide to come over to the States for a "fellowship". This is gonna be your best way of ironing these things out, as many fellow indians, chinese, and arabs have been doing. On the flip side of it, you're gonna have much less educational debt but more fun than your US colleagues will have who would be working at the same place with you (reminds me Todd in the Scrubs.)

Stand strong, let the time tick, and see what the life has to offer you.

It's impossible to come and medical school in the US without having attended an undergraduate institution in the US or Canada (and ideally having got a bachelors degree). Even if you have an undergrad degree, you would still need ideally attend three years at the undergrad level in the US or Canada.

If you go to one of these schools you should be fine practicing anywhere in the US once you graduate and pass the USMLE and obtain a residency in the US:
  • Ain Shams University Faculty of Medicine
  • Al-Azhar University Faculty of Medicine
  • Assiut University Faculty of Medicine
  • Misr University for Science and Technology College of Medicine
  • Menoufia University Faculty of Medicine
  • South Valley University Sohag Faculty of Medicine
  • Suez Canal University Faculty of Medicine
  • Tanta Faculty of Medicine
  • University of Alexandria Faculty of Medicine
  • University of Asyut Faculty of Medicine
  • University of Cairo Faculty of Medicine
  • University of Mansura Faculty of Medicine
  • University of Minya Faculty of Medicine
  • Zagazig Faculty of Medicine

Last edited:
It's impossible to come and practice in the US without having attended an undergraduate institution in the US or Canada (and ideally having got a bachelors degree). Even if you have an undergrad degree, you would still need ideally attend three years at the undergrad level in the US or Canada.

This is absolutely FALSE! To practice medecine in the US, all you need to do residency in the US, and have your home country MD diploma recognized in the US (OP needs to find out if his Egyptian MD school diploma is recognized here). Most of the MD I know studied abroad and did residency in the US. The trick is to be super competitive on the USMLE to match a decent residency.

ceng2doc said:
Study medicine at your home country, do some specialty training, and then decide to come over to the States for a "fellowship".

Fellowship won't suffice, you still need residency. Those I know who went that way did a residency after fellowship, which is rather funny since you are being bossed around by some MD who is typically less qualified! These residencies may be a little shorter (you skip the first year).

You quoted me before I edited it... I meant to come to medical school in the US NOT practice in the US, which would be the logical conclusion from the rest of my post (fine to go to med school in Egypt and come do residency in the US).

This is absolutely FALSE! To practice medecine in the US, all you need to do residency in the US, and have your home country MD diploma recognized in the US (OP needs to find out if his Egyptian MD school diploma is recognized here). Most of the MD I know studied abroad and did residency in the US. The trick is to be super competitive on the USMLE to match a decent residency.

Fellowship won't suffice, you still need residency. Those I know who went that way did a residency after fellowship, which is rather funny since you are being bossed around by some MD who is typically less qualified! These residencies may be a little shorter (you skip the first year).

Thanks a lot for the replies...I have thought it out and it would take much longer if I decide to move to the US. I'll finish off here, do the USMLE and hopefully join a residency program in the US.

Sorry but I want to start this again, I know someone who completed two years of medicine in Egypt. And then he went to Canada and started an undergraduate degree in Science. But the thing about him is, he managed to skip two years and start 3rd year.

I'd be willing to start an undergrad program if I could skip 2 or 3 years as well. Does anyone know if its possible in the US?

Yes, this is possible. You would applying as an undergrad transfer student. Many institutions in the US allow this.

However realize a few things.
- You are now a candidate for a BS/BA and NOT an M.D.
- You will not eligible for any of the combined bachelor and medicine programs as they do not allow you to transfer in
- After the BA/BS during which you will need to fulfill the pre-reqs, you will need to apply to medical school in the US.
- Getting into a US medical school as an Egyptian is pretty much impossible (unless you have stellar stats). Most med schools only consider US permanent residents and citizens.

Sorry but I want to start this again, I know someone who completed two years of medicine in Egypt. And then he went to Canada and started an undergraduate degree in Science. But the thing about him is, he managed to skip two years and start 3rd year.

I'd be willing to start an undergrad program if I could skip 2 or 3 years as well. Does anyone know if its possible in the US?

I've got permanent residency...So I think I've got a good chance of getting into med school.

I'll start emailing admissions offices in California to see where I have a chance and if I'd be able to skip 2 or 3 years.

Thanks