Thinking of a career in pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Applicants...

Please do the research on the job market and salaries before embarking upon this career. Look at the threads we post in the practicing pharmacy section. I understand this is what you want. But sometimes your dreams can become a nightmare. It has for all of us. Please open your minds and eyes before you set yourselves up for failure. I have given you gold here.....do something with it. Look, Listen, and learn....from the generation that has already walked the road you are about to. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This is not a joke.
Most students are too excited about going into pharmacy school where they can spend next 4 to 6 years being busy, but they must know that there is nothing more painful than not being able to find a job after graduating with debt.

I will say that probably top 10% of most talented students will always thrive even in this saturated pharmacy field.
But it`s a terrible truth that a degree that requires over 5 years of study with near $200000 tuition does not guarantee anything anymore.

Buy a damn house with the money. Do not go to pharmacy school unless you are truly passionate about being a pharmacist.
Being passionate means you are willing to be a pharmacist even if nobody is willing to pay you a dime.

I switched last year from pre pharm to pre dentistry in September after I stopped being ignorant and hiding from the facts. It was a hard pill to swallow but I found something else I was much more passionate doing and fit me better

Members don't see this ad :)
I switched last year from pre pharm to pre dentistry in September after I stopped being ignorant and hiding from the facts. It was a hard pill to swallow but I found something else I was much more passionate doing and fit me better
NICE!! that's what im talking about. hopefully someone helped you dodge that bullet. That's what i am trying to achieve among this new generation of students. Trying to open their eyes. It's hard though. They still go to school anyway most of the time.

NICE!! that's what im talking about. hopefully someone helped you dodge that bullet. That's what i am trying to achieve among this new generation of students. Trying to open their eyes. It's hard though. They still go to school anyway most of the time.

In this new era, you cannot go through at least 8 years of post-high school schooling for a degree that will not guarantee you a job within the first two months of graduating. It is crazy that people will just walk right into the hurricane after being warned.

I had a floater pharmacist come cover my pharmacy manager shift and he asked me what I wanted to do and I said pharmacy and he asked me about my gpa and I told him and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said "you are better off going to MD, DDS, or PA school because you will not find a job and you can't waste that talent". I tried to ignore that comment but it kept repeating itself for the next month and every floater than came in during that month was telling me not to do it.

One floater told me he is half a million in debt and has to travel 50-100 miles to different stores and is living out of an apartment

In this new era, you cannot go through at least 8 years of post-high school schooling for a degree that will not guarantee you a job within the first two months of graduating. It is crazy that people will just walk right into the hurricane after being warned.

I had a floater pharmacist come cover my pharmacy manager shift and he asked me what I wanted to do and I said pharmacy and he asked me about my gpa and I told him and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said "you are better off going to MD, DDS, or PA school because you will not find a job and you can't waste that talent". I tried to ignore that comment but it kept repeating itself for the next month and every floater than came in during that month was telling me not to do it.

One floater told me he is half a million in debt and has to travel 50-100 miles to different stores and is living out of an apartment

Absolutely Pan, I am a manager for Wal mart pharmacy (for now) and i have seen everyone (my staff pharms) cut down to 65,48,42..even 28 hours. They were hired as "part time staff pharmacists" , they can then float "as needed" to get their hours up. Also, they were hired on at about 10-15$ less per hour than someone like me who came on board just 1.5 years ago. Eventually , they will hassle me and/or make me so uncomfortable I quit. Then they will replace my 70$/hr position with a 50-55$/hr position. It's just a matter of time. I watch closely as my district manager makes hiring decisions. This is going on at EVERY major chain by the way. CVS, Walgreens, rite-aid, grocery stores....you name it. The profession is officially dead. Now it will start to simply rot.....Go be a dermatologist! they make bank and have fun. or cardiologist ?? that's awesome...and you really make a difference. Enjoy your life and do something important! peace....