Thinking of Being a Doctor but of what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thauncle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of becoming a doctor but I don't know which area of study I should go into I have an assoc. in app.bus and web design but I always wanted to be a doctor but didn't want to be in school that long but I think I want to try to work and take classes on the side.Andy advice on what area I should go into and what books,research and websites I can study to prepare me to go into med. as well.Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

thauncle said:
I'm thinking of becoming a doctor but I don't know which area of study I should go into I have an assoc. in app.bus and web design but I always wanted to be a doctor but didn't want to be in school that long but I think I want to try to work and take classes on the side.Andy advice on what area I should go into and what books,research and websites I can study to prepare me to go into med. as well.Thanks
You've posted this in the international forum so I'm not sure where you are. If you want to get into a U.S. medical school, you will just need an undergraduate degree in something. It will be fastest to transfer your credits to a four-year school. That said, medical schools just ask for 90 credits to be earned in the U.S. or Canada. Those credits can be in anything - as long as you do 8 credits (with lab) in each of the following: general chemistry, general biology, general physics, and organic chemistry. Some schools also ask for 6-8 credits in English and math/calculus. After that, take the MCAT. Be sure to gain work-related/volunteer experience in some area of medicine - to be sure this is what you really want (in fact, I would do that first in case this is not what you want). Good luck!