zeppelinpage4

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys it seems advisement time for next year is approaching and I was just sort of toying around with the idea of my major.

I've loved biology since high school and have no intention of changing it to something completely different. However I noticed that I find molecular and cell bio a lot more interesting than regular Bio II material such as botany and animal physiology.

I've been doing reasonably well in chemistry so far and I seem to be beginning to like it and i'm considering switching over to biochem. The only issue with this is that my math skills are not very strong. I'm managing an A- after the second Calc II exam and I have to put a lot of work into that class. I know biochem at my college will require me to take calc based physics next year and I have to deal with P-chem when i'm a junior or senior.
The material seems really interesting and our biochem department should be smaller and more close knit than the biology one which has a lot of students within it at the moment. However the biochem major is pretty rigorous in general and it could hurt my GPA or leave me with little time for ECs.

My other option which is completely different is to take some english courses. I feel that this is a really useful skill and may come in handy when I have to write in the future (essays, personal statements etc...any form of writing really). I could stick with bio and maybe switch to the BA track which requires less labs and then focus on english courses which I may never be able to take again after undergrad. Maybe I could even get a minor in english, the subject is something i've also done well in throughout high school and my first semester writing professor seemed to think I was a good student in the class.

Both seem like great options and I have plenty of time to decide but i'd definitely be interested to see which of the two paths you guys would find more favorable for yourselves. One is a lot more focused and science heavy while the other it pretty well rounded in general.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
You might want to look into how much calculus is used in your physics and physical chemistry class. It could end up being a lot easier than you think. I'm taking a calculus based physics class right now but it's more of a "this is how calculus is used and here is a derivation of this formula" class. Almost all of our homework and exams are algebra based.

zeppelinpage4

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
You might want to look into how much calculus is used in your physics and physical chemistry class. It could end up being a lot easier than you think. I'm taking a calculus based physics class right now but it's more of a "this is how calculus is used and here is a derivation of this formula" class. Almost all of our homework and exams are algebra based.
Thanks i'll try to look into that. I keep reading how most pre-meds are expected to avoid analytical physics but if it's not that much harder at my school then I might just go for it.

P-chem at my school only required up to Calc II but my adviser mentioned that Calc III helped in that class. So I imagine it must be pretty heavy with calculus.

I would go with whatever you are best at.
Well i'm only in my second semester of freshman year, so i'm really not too sure what i'm best at yet. Like I mentioned before i've done well in my English classes in the past up through college but more recently i've done okay with chemistry and math classes.

I'm waiting to see how I do in Calc II and chem this semester but I just wanted to see if anyone had specific reasons for choosing one over the other that they thought were important. Since both avenues would offer me some different benefits.