MedChic

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
429
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
so i really really really want to break a 30 on this test and for some reason, it's not happening....i'm considering postponing til January/April as I won't be applying til June anyway

anyone else floating along in my boat??
 

bullishMD

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
325
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am right there with you. I wont applying til next summer as well. I have not broken 30 yet and it is really starting to make me mad because i have studied 6-10 hours everyday this summer. If i dont get above a 30 soon i want to postpone it til jan/april. However i dont want to postpone it til then because i dont know about switching to computers after i have prepared for the paper and pencil version. Also i feel that i have put in so much work into this and it would be really anti-climatic if i didnt take it on the 19th. I have no idea what to do. An easy solution would be to just start getting 36's then i would know exactly what to do. too bad thats not happening
 
OP
MedChic

MedChic

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
429
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ooh and one more question for ya: do you think that finishing the pre-reqs with organic 2 plus a couple other upper level sciences may increase the score. I think the reality is you do need more science background to do well on this test and I don't even have my pre-reqs finished......I wanted to relax and just be done with this damn exam, but now I'm starting to think it's such a vital part of the application process and I don't wanna fudge it up. I mean, will I just be at the same point in January/April or will classes help to increase my score?

I'm stuck between a 27-28 right now and am not budging. Thing is I really need to do well on this thing since my science GPA is a 3.4 right now.

I feel kind of bad postponing it after putting all this effort in and giving up so much for it, but then again, I will need to make countless sacrifices as a doctor, why not start now right?
 
About the Ads

ParvatiP

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
335
0
NY
Status
Medical Student
If you don't break a 30 on your practice tests, then you might as well postpone it (although how much studying will you be able to do when you're also taking classes??). But I would keep plugging away for now.

BTW, I am taking the April test...because I haven't taken any bio courses yet. So I would think that waiting because you haven't taken the prereqs would be a good idea too.
 

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
2,343
5
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I guess we're all part of next year's class. I've taken one pt so far, and since I calculated my score (unsatisfactory), I haven't studied. I plan to take it in January, so I figure there's still time to get my act together this fall and start hitting the pts hardcore. We'll see how it goes. But if you're not ready, don't waste money on it now.
 

luckycharms08

all it takes is one =)
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
413
0
Status
Medical Student
tempted to, but i spent my entire summer and a LOT of my parents' money on this exam, so i'm going to give it all i have and take it on august 19. you're never gonna feel 100% ready, so you just gotta give it all you got and have faith that you are a smart person and all that knowledge is in you somewhere.

(i'm also applying for admission in fall 2008)
 

Pdiddy310

Med School 4.0
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
87
1
the Pale Blue Dot
Status
Attending Physician
MedChic said:
ooh and one more question for ya: do you think that finishing the pre-reqs with organic 2 plus a couple other upper level sciences may increase the score. I think the reality is you do need more science background to do well on this test and I don't even have my pre-reqs finished......I wanted to relax and just be done with this damn exam, but now I'm starting to think it's such a vital part of the application process and I don't wanna fudge it up. I mean, will I just be at the same point in January/April or will classes help to increase my score?

I'm stuck between a 27-28 right now and am not budging. Thing is I really need to do well on this thing since my science GPA is a 3.4 right now.

I feel kind of bad postponing it after putting all this effort in and giving up so much for it, but then again, I will need to make countless sacrifices as a doctor, why not start now right?

The upper level science courses help but aren't required. I know this is trite but I have realized one absolute truth for the MCAT, you have to be able to think quickly outside of the box. Even if you memorize most of the info, you might never reach a composite score of 40. Just b/c you memorize something doesn't mean you can apply it to a particular situation. IMO, I would go ahead and take the Aug 19th MCAT and see how you fare. You never know, it could just be your day to break 30. :)

p.s. If you do decide to "chicken out", take a biochem course b/c that will DEFINITELY help.
 

theunremarkable

MS2
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2005
461
0
Status
Pre-Medical
The upper level sciences will help only a little on the mcat, so dont take those classes as a sort of mcat-prep, but you will see an improvement in your ochem score if you take ochem 2. Most of the orgo mcat is from what I learned in second semester.
 

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
1,589
2
35
TX
prettydoc.blogspot.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I second that biochem really does help you out on this test.
 

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
1,252
1
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
MedChic said:
ooh and one more question for ya: do you think that finishing the pre-reqs with organic 2 plus a couple other upper level sciences may increase the score. I think the reality is you do need more science background to do well on this test and I don't even have my pre-reqs finished......I wanted to relax and just be done with this damn exam, but now I'm starting to think it's such a vital part of the application process and I don't wanna fudge it up. I mean, will I just be at the same point in January/April or will classes help to increase my score?

I'm stuck between a 27-28 right now and am not budging. Thing is I really need to do well on this thing since my science GPA is a 3.4 right now.

I feel kind of bad postponing it after putting all this effort in and giving up so much for it, but then again, I will need to make countless sacrifices as a doctor, why not start now right?
From what I've heard, Physio and Biochem are the only classes which are pertinent benefactors to your MCAT score...upper division will not help that much.

Assuming that you have not planned a busy schedule for fall 2006 (this is probably when you would be studying), then I think it's a good idea to wait. With a 3.4, you need around a 30 to be competitive. You could probably get into a medical school with a 27-29, but it would be more difficult.

"A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains."
Dutch Proverb

One last thing: I totally agree with the person who spoke about the "out of the box" mentality. I suggest that you do some logic games, read some thought-provoking material etc for a few months (basically, stress reading comprehension and critical thinking) and I'm sure that it will help your confidence and your performance.

Best of luck :luck:
-Dr. P.

P.S.: I love Elliot's "I told you so" dance. :D
 

pufferfish

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
219
0
Rio
Status
MedChic said:
so i really really really want to break a 30 on this test and for some reason, it's not happening....i'm considering postponing til January/April as I won't be applying til June anyway

anyone else floating along in my boat??
Hey MedChic,

We're in the same boat. I figure, go for it. 3 weeks left. I still haven't gotten close to a 30 on a practice test, even SDN's proverbial mother-easy 3R. I mean, if you've put so much into it already, why not wrap up and see? I find myself discouraged by many of the posts on here "one point from a 15 in PS; what do I do?" or "retake a 45?" but, frig em--that's their game. It's about your game. An important exam? Yes. Everything? No. Plus, last paper and pencil. I can't do crap on the computer unless they'll let us underline the screen.

So, that said, need some reinforcement? You can do it!!! Chop chop...go study. No one ever feels ready for this exam...except for that guy that went in trying to steal the thing.... :love:

--pfr
 

Pdiddy310

Med School 4.0
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
87
1
the Pale Blue Dot
Status
Attending Physician
pufferfish said:
Hey MedChic,

We're in the same boat. I figure, go for it. 3 weeks left. I still haven't gotten close to a 30 on a practice test, even SDN's proverbial mother-easy 3R. I mean, if you've put so much into it already, why not wrap up and see? I find myself discouraged by many of the posts on here "one point from a 15 in PS; what do I do?" or "retake a 45?" but, frig em--that's their game. It's about your game. An important exam? Yes. Everything? No. Plus, last paper and pencil. I can't do crap on the computer unless they'll let us underline the screen.

So, that said, need some reinforcement? You can do it!!! Chop chop...go study. No one ever feels ready for this exam...except for that guy that went in trying to steal the thing.... :love:

--pfr
Even then, I'm sure he was nervous as heck and sweating his @$$ off. :laugh:
 

pufferfish

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
219
0
Rio
Status
Pdiddy310 said:
Even then, I'm sure he was nervous as heck and sweating his @$$ off. :laugh:
hahaha true that. come on, pure cross between pathetic and cajones so big they hit the ground....
 
About the Ads

Breakerboy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
4
0
Status
I'm really glad you made this thread Medchic.

I am having the same feelings, I have dedicated my summer thus far towards the mcat, and have spent a lot of money on it. I'm not close to breaking a 30, and Im not sure what I can do in the next 3 weeks that will bring me up to it. I'm really stressing out, and I'd just like to get your guys' opinions on the new computerized version of the test...

I know very little about the new test, but after preparing for so long for the paper test will it be very difficult to adjust to the computerized version?

So help me decide I need some support :)

This doesn't mean I am going to stop studying... I just might end up taking summer school!

:luck:
 

Pdiddy310

Med School 4.0
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
87
1
the Pale Blue Dot
Status
Attending Physician
Breakerboy said:
I'm really glad you made this thread Medchic.

I am having the same feelings, I have dedicated my summer thus far towards the mcat, and have spent a lot of money on it. I'm not close to breaking a 30, and Im not sure what I can do in the next 3 weeks that will bring me up to it. I'm really stressing out, and I'd just like to get your guys' opinions on the new computerized version of the test...

I know very little about the new test, but after preparing for so long for the paper test will it be very difficult to adjust to the computerized version?

So help me decide I need some support :)

This doesn't mean I am going to stop studying... I just might end up taking summer school!

:luck:

take some practice computerized mcats. I think e-mcat.com offers them in computer format. TPR and kaplan has them too.
 

Noeljan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
1,531
0
Status
Medical Student
i am also not sure if I am taking it. I really didn't do as much physics as I would have liked. I don't want to walk into this test knowing I didn't give it my all. I hate that it is going to computer, although not having to worry about a scantron is a good thing. But, it kind of worries me that you have no physical record of what you marked (ie. computers can make mistakes and you have no way of really proving it).
 

doc G

RESPECT MY AUTHORITA!!
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
227
0
Jacksonville, FL
Status
Pre-Medical
MedChic said:
ooh and one more question for ya: do you think that finishing the pre-reqs with organic 2 plus a couple other upper level sciences may increase the score. I think the reality is you do need more science background to do well on this test and I don't even have my pre-reqs finished......I wanted to relax and just be done with this damn exam, but now I'm starting to think it's such a vital part of the application process and I don't wanna fudge it up. I mean, will I just be at the same point in January/April or will classes help to increase my score?

I'm stuck between a 27-28 right now and am not budging. Thing is I really need to do well on this thing since my science GPA is a 3.4 right now.

I feel kind of bad postponing it after putting all this effort in and giving up so much for it, but then again, I will need to make countless sacrifices as a doctor, why not start now right?

orgainc 2 .no most likely not. But upper level bio yes yes yes


27 or 28 is that kaplan or AAMC or TPR???
 
OP
MedChic

MedChic

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
429
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
doc G said:
orgainc 2 .no most likely not. But upper level bio yes yes yes


27 or 28 is that kaplan or AAMC or TPR???

Kaplan 27 was my highest score and for AAMC 5R, it was 28.
Yep, only took 2.


Pufferfish,
I know, I'm not giving up - no way, no how; gotta keep on chuggin'

But I've decided - if I don't break a 30 by next week I'm gonna take a few months to study and take the computerized one. I'm not one for mapping passages anyway and I need to prove my ability in the science classes once and well. I really wanna just give it my all when I take this test and feel prepared for it.

I did learn something from this expereince though. You can't expect to do well just cuz you tell yourself "i'll do nothing but study for 6 weeks" and it'll be over. You gotta balance. Balance, balance, balance is the key to happiness.
Sometimes that means slowing down and doing 3-4 hrs of prep for 5 months rather than 10 hrs a day in 6 weeks.

ooh and dr. P, i like your posts!! :thumbup: (and not just cuz you like eliot's dance either!)
 

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
290
1
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
If you don't feel good and have another chance later...I suggest taking it. You don't want to just go ahead...then get a score you don't want and regret it. Just make sure you work hard for the next test though.

If you're studying non-stop...I suggest taking a few days off. Then getting back to studying and see how it goes.
 

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
3,300
1
Status
Pre-Medical
After much thought...I've decided to take it in January. I've already taken 8 FLs and my scores have pretty much stayed the same (less than 30). This will be my second time taking the test and I don't want to re-take unless I see significant improvement. Good Luck to all of you!!!
 

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
3,300
1
Status
Pre-Medical
lala83 said:
i haven't broken 30 yet either, but i think it's smart to go ahead and take it b/c it is the last paper/pencil version. i think i would fail even more miserably trying to read passages on a computer screen, so i'm just gonnna try to go all out for the next 19 days and hope for some luck from the mcat fairy?
If you haven't reached your goal score, I suggest just to wait until you're fully prepared. Don't just take the test just because it will be the last paper & pencil test.
 

pufferfish

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
219
0
Rio
Status
if it's your second i don't blame you... i'm still giving it a shot, being a first timer with more practice tests to gauge myself with. we'll see. i may not have the gusto to study for this ever again, so i figure i better keep going now. plus i'm gauging everything on kaplan tests. tomorrow will be aamc full time conditions.
 

Jwax

Just a minor variation
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
1,710
9
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Pdiddy310 said:
p.s. If you do decide to "chicken out", take a biochem course b/c that will DEFINITELY help.

That p.s. is right on... I've noticed that of the classes I've had between my last MCAT (April 2005) and preparing for the upcoming August 2006 exam, biochem is really the only thing that is helping... and it really helps quite a bit!!! So far, it is the only pre-req I'm GLAD to have taken!
 

ceed

New Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
2
0
Status
I registered for August paper exam, but I think I'm going to refund my ticket. My scores are not good enough (in need of 30+), so I think I'll continue to study for January (but not in the hectic way that I did for August). I started studying in June doing 8-9 hrs a day, but my scores are not reflecting that. I'm thinking of doing 3 hrs a day up til January & doing full lengths starting late December.

I'm not a re-taker, but I wanna take the mcat only once. The only thing that scares me is adapting to the new CBT format, but I hope everything will be okay. I'm applying to formal post-bacs (Loyola MAMS), so my scores aren't due til next summer. I still have time...and even if I have to retake (which I hope not), the CBT exams are offered many times a year.

MedChic said:
I did learn something from this expereince though. You can't expect to do well just cuz you tell yourself "i'll do nothing but study for 6 weeks" and it'll be over. You gotta balance. Balance, balance, balance is the key to happiness.
Sometimes that means slowing down and doing 3-4 hrs of prep for 5 months rather than 10 hrs a day in 6 weeks.
I just learned that too...
 

bubbles17

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2005
60
0
Status
i haven't been hitting my target score (30+)...but like everyone here said, i've studied all summer for this and i don't want to let go....

what deadline have you set for yourself to chicken out and take it next year with the CBT?

or do you guys think its a good idea to just go and take the test and void it just to get the experience of taking the test?
 

mnmsuccess

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
30
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I chickened out in April 2 weeks before the exam but decided to sit through it and void the score. It was a great experience. This time around I felt much better preparing fir it. AAMC exams released are not actual full lengths so if money is not a concern I would highly recommend sitting thru it. It can be very insightful. Also I feel much less anxious about testing day having sat through it once.


bubbles17 said:
i haven't been hitting my target score (30+)...but like everyone here said, i've studied all summer for this and i don't want to let go....

what deadline have you set for yourself to chicken out and take it next year with the CBT?

or do you guys think its a good idea to just go and take the test and void it just to get the experience of taking the test?
 
About the Ads