Thinking of Med School but don't know what I should do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHHHH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year college student ( Accounting) , I have previously thought about going into med school but I had abandon that plan because of personal reasons.

I only have two science courses ( Physic I &II) , in which I did horrible and got C. To be completely honest, those were my crappies semester in term of gpa.

I think I will graduate with around 3.7+ and I plan to get my certification and work for a while.

My question is , should I leave those two C's in my transcript and take them after I graduate with the other prereq .

Or I should I try to take them again before I graduate .

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a third year college student ( Accounting) , I have previously thought about going into med school but I had abandon that plan because of personal reasons.

I only have two science courses ( Physic I &II) , in which I did horrible and got C. To be completely honest, those were my crappies semester in term of gpa.

I think I will graduate with around 3.7+ and I plan to get my certification and work for a while.

My question is , should I leave those two C's in my transcript and take them after I graduate with the other prereq .

Or I should I try to take them again before I graduate .
They are on your record either, way, whether you retake before you graduate or not. Retake them now or later, it won't really matter for application purposes. If you are taking a significant break between graduating and returning for your pre-reqs, you may want to wait so the classes are more fresh in your mind for the MCAT.

Are you sure you want to take a break and work before returning to take the pre-reqs? If you are sure you want to be a doctor, you can delay graduating until you fit all the pre-reqs in and then graduate with no further courses required. Study for and take the MCAT, work while getting EC's in order and while applying, and start med school earlier than you would if you graduate, work a bit, return to school, then apply.

kind of agree with above, however you indicate nothing to that would have us believe you want to really go into medicine. Spend some time shadowing physicians, reading some leisure science (I highly recommend A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson) to see if science is something that interests you. When you have decided medicine is what you want, you can pursue the prereqs. If you are sure it is what you want, if you delay graduation you could speed up the process. If you aren't positive though, don't delay graduation. If you decide against it, you needlessly delayed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should be more specific with the reason I abandon the med school plans when I was in my senior year of high school.

I was struggling with depression and a eating disorder :oops: , so I felt "What kind a doctor would I be with all of my issues??

So I have been working myself and getting my life on track and being healthy , I can help people in a lot of professions .

But I don't just want to help people , I want to help people have longer healthier life. As a doctor people put so much trust in your hands and share with you some of the most intimate moments with you , I do enjoy that doctor-patient relationship.

Aside from the things I want something that challenged me and stimulate me , is constantly changing and it allows me to work with people. The area that interest me is endocrinology, is for personal reasons I have a huge family and a lot of my family members suffer or have died of complications because of endocrine disease.

Maybe this are not the best reason to become a doctor , but that's what I have always thought .

I will check out the book.

I guess I should be more specific with the reason I abandon the med school plans when I was in my senior year of high school.

I was struggling with depression and a eating disorder :oops: , so I felt "What kind a doctor would I be with all of my issues??

So I have been working myself and getting my life on track and being healthy , I can help people in a lot of professions .

But I don't just want to help people , I want to help people have longer healthier life. As a doctor people put so much trust in your hands and share with you some of the most intimate moments with you , I do enjoy that doctor-patient relationship.

Aside from the things I want something that challenged me and stimulate me , is constantly changing and it allows me to work with people. The area that interest me is endocrinology, is for personal reasons I have a huge family and a lot of my family members suffer or have died of complications because of endocrine disease.

Maybe this are not the best reason to become a doctor , but that's what I have always thought .

I will check out the book.

1st: I am reading The Lost Art of Healing, and it does a pretty good job explaining that no one trusts their doctors anymore, nor do they share half the stuff that they should. And doctors are largely to blame for this, but it is easy to see that people don't get regular check ups, nor do they stay with a single physician, nor is there a universal code of patient treatment anymore. Second opinions should be encouraged to ensure quality care, but they are often ridiculed. Just saying.

2nd: I agree with you, however I am about to start med school. Some of the older, jaded doctors may laugh at this assumption. Some talk about it being a job that is just as mundane as others. I am sure this depends on the specialty though.

The two bolded statements are basically why you should spend a good deal of time shadowing doctors before you start the prereqs. You could find it still very rewarding beyond your wildest dreams. Or you could realize that isn't anything you expected.

Welcome from the world of accounting!

As others mentioned, I think you should take the opportunity to shadow some physicians AND other health care professionals, to make sure that it is the right path for you. I've shadowed and talked to docs, PTs and PAs..

You mention your thoughts of getting your CPA and working a while before heading back. How are you doing on your 150hr requirement? Those credits can be in anything so this is a great opportunity to explore the option while still accruing the credits needed to take the exam. Anatomy and Physiology, though not a required prerequisite for med school, could be a great way to gauge your interest.

It will never be easier to take your pre-recs than while you are still in school. Trust me! Working while taking classes is not fun, especially in the field of accounting. Plus, you will have easier access to advisors, premed committees and research opportunities.

Aside from the things I want something that challenged me and stimulate me , is constantly changing and it allows me to work with people.

I'm going to put my devil's advocate hat on now. :)
This is kind of the definition of public accounting. You may not play a role in the person's physical health, but you can play a very key role in their financial health, especially if you go down the tax route or financial planning. I can't begin to tell you the intimate details I've learned about clients. This is a field that is changing all of the time and provides a lot of challenges. Lots of problems to solve.

The financial rewards are very likely to be equal to or better than a physician's after you factor in the loans, deferred income, etc. Plus, there's no tax insurance companies to deal with. You'll still have to deal with the gov't but instead of Medicare, it's the IRS, and instead of begging them for money, you're making sure they don't get any more of your client's. :smuggrin:

I think it would be well worth your time to do an internship at a CPA firm or a financial planning firm. You may find you like it. [End devil's advocate]

So after all my glowing adoration of accounting, why am I changing careers? After 8 years of trying really hard to like the world of accounting and finance, it is just not for me. I love science too much. I like making a meaningful difference in people's physical health. I can't shake the dream that I left behind. Watching those that I've shadowed has been inspiring. I am a happy and positive person, but I feel that I'm losing that in what I do. I have consistently worked as hard as many of my friends in residency (no kidding), and if I'm going to put that much time and effort into my job, I want it to be a more meaningful way.

If you do decide to go down the accounting path but really have an interest in working with people, focus on tax. Audit will sap every bit of life out of you. Nobody thanks you when you tell them they have a material weakness. But in tax, if you tell them they're throwing money away, they ask you how to fix it.

If you decide, after researching and shadowing, to go down the path of medicine or healthcare, what you have learned in your business classes will not be lost. I think there's a lot of doctors that wish they would have more business knowledge.

Please feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions and want some honest answers about accounting from someone that has been there, done that, and is hitting the "eject" button.

@FrkyBgStok , I understand what you are saying and I have experience it.

@CPA2DOC
Don't get me wrong , I do enjoy accounting specially taxation but I ended in accounting because it was plan B. I have put so much attention and focus on my plan B , that here I am in my third year of college and I have done nothing to even try plan A.

I'm already taking at least two extra semester for my cpa , so at this point I'm to late to take the extra credits in science since all of the credits left are part of my curriculum .

I have a family member who is a doctor so I'm not a complete stranger to the physicians world.

I'm taking things slow , I have a lot of things do and research before I continue. At this point my biggest worry were the 2 C's in physics .

@FrkyBgStok , I understand what you are saying and I have experience it.

@CPA2DOC
Don't get me wrong , I do enjoy accounting specially taxation but I ended in accounting because it was plan B. I have put so much attention and focus on my plan B , that here I am in my third year of college and I have done nothing to even try plan A.

I'm already taking at least two extra semester for my cpa , so at this point I'm to late to take the extra credits in science since all of the credits left are part of my curriculum .

I have a family member who is a doctor so I'm not a complete stranger to the physicians world.

I'm taking things slow , I have a lot of things do and research before I continue. At this point my biggest worry were the 2 C's in physics .

At this point, those two C's are probably the last thing to worry about IMO. Keep working hard, volunteer, build your ECs, etc. When it's time to apply, start talking to admissions office and ask them if you should retake those two courses. Good luck.

Last edited:
My grandmother has been part of a hospice for the past 3 years , so I'm going to ask the nurse to find out if they need any volunteers. Hopefully they do and I will be getting some volunteering in.

Leave the two C's and get A's in the other classes and you should be fine. Also, I recommend touring a medical school to see first hand whether you like it. You can also ask these questions to who gives you the tour, they're a better source of information.