1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Thinking of Podiatry

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by travoltage, Dec 8, 2008.

1. travoltage

travoltage Crank up the travoltage!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone, recently I have been hearing a lot of talk about podiatry. I first stumbled upon it early this semester, and have researched it and began giving it some thought. I am going to start to shadow a podiatrist soon, but I have some questions for everyone here on SDN. First, what are the average GPA requirements and MCAT scores for podiatry schools. Im hesitant to ask, as I know everyone will have a different answer that ranges from 100-500K, but what is the salary outlook for a podiatrist? Also.....I have always wanted to be a surgeon, what are the chances of doing that through podiatry school? If I have a 3.88 cgpa and a 3.70 bcpm and (I know this score is bad, however, I will be retaking the MCAT in the early spring) a 21 on the MCAT....what are the chances of getting in? I will raise the MCAT score...with my current scores, is there a chance for a scholarship? I have to be a honest, a full scholarship to a school would be very tempting, considering my undergrad debt and all. Sorry for the length, thanks for your responses.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UNMorBUST

UNMorBUST Mystery Man
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Umm may i direct you to the search button. As well as the stickys at the top of the forum.

4. Gryhu

Gryhu Dom
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your GPAs seem fine just try to shoot for >25 on the MCAT, work on your ECs and you'll be solid!

Salary has a pretty big range due to how podiatrists are trained. Old school pods didn't have to go through a residency so they just do basic in office procedures. They probably make around 100K. Newer pods go through either a two or three year surgical residency. From what I've read starting salary out of residency is around $150k. There are some pods that are business savy and make WELL over that amount. Either way, you won't be starving on the streets.

I don't know if any schools give full scholarships. Maybe a Pod student can comment.

5. 165007

5+ Year Member

Podiatry Student

From the people I have talked to, the starting salary is usually between 80-140K.

6. GymMan

Removed

Large variance there though, don't you think? 80K = Nurse Pract. salary. 140K = her boss, the MD's salary.

7. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Every current, and future, pod resident is trained for surgery. Assuming you complete residency, pass surgical boards, etc, you should expect to be doing at least some procedures when they are indicated. How much surgery each pod does after training depends on training level, ability, preference, referral base, etc. If you did a high power residency and end up as the only foot and ankle guy in a large ortho or multispecialty group, I'd imagine you'd be doing a ton of surgery. If you went to a residency where you got minimal surgical exposure and set up shop in a city with many highly trained F&A surgeons, I doubt you'd do much in the OR. It's all relative.

Your stats should be competitive due to high GPA, but taking the MCAT again is a good idea. If you are wanting to start fall 09, apply now and inform the programs that your retake MCAT will be sent when it becomes available. Scholarships may be within range with your app, but you need to get the ball rolling ASAP. Most of the schools offer some half tuition scholarships, but consider their renewal criteria (ie $6k per year easily renewable might be better than $12k first year that only renews if you are top 10%).

GL... shadowing is probably the best way to gain insight.

8. 215512

lol...thanks for the clarification:bang:

9. 165007

5+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Yes, and?

Not everyone is going to get a 150K offer. Infact, the range I gave out was offered in the same residency program.

10. dtrack22

Podiatrist 10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    On retaking the MCAT:
    Unless you are a nuts you will get into pod school...from what I've gathered on the forums and interview feedback, you will get into any of them you apply to. If all you want to do is get in and are not too concerned with scholarships DO NOT retake the MCAT. If you do about the same of worse your application looks worse than it did before. You MUST do significantly better on the MCAT whenever you retake it (ie improving your 21 to at least a 24 which still is not a great score). However, you will need to have a mid to high 20's MCAT score to get a decent amount of scholarship money.

Me personally, I'm hoping for some scholarship money and posted awhile ago as to how much I could get...no response. I think people were in disbelief of my MCAT score, which wasn't great by allopathic standards, but leaps and bounds above many pod applicants. Hopefully the 31r with a decent gpa, 3.6, will get me some financial help.

#9 dtrack22, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  11. 215512

wait a sec so are you prepod or pre-allo?

12. GymMan

Removed

pre-fab :laugh:

13. 215512

:highfive:

14. dtrack22

Podiatrist 10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    I was pre-allo, until end of my junior year. The more work I did in the ER and the more shadowing I did under the Ortho who fixed my ACL, the more I realized that is not the lifestyle I want. I found podiatry on this forum, started shadowing a local pod and was hooked. I like the constant challenge even though you are so highly specialized as a pod...ortho, vascular, endocrine, ped's, etc. You've got to know it all and you have the training to immediatley solve (as opposed to treat) problems when surgery is necessary. The hours make practicing medicine and having a family (one in which you can be there for) congenial. I'm excited for my fututre and am confident I made the right decision, but as a future pod I would like to see my profession be taken seriously by pre-pods and pod schools. IMO admission standards need to be raised which is going to require an effort to attract a higher quality student, thats why a lot of this talk on here about 16's and 18's on the MCAT bugs me.

I'll get off the soap box now :)

15. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist
    Podiatrist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's safe to say that this is only a part of the story. There is a lot that goes into salary. It may be an 80K base but with incentives, you could make over 150K your first year out. I have a co-resident that signed for a base of 110K but made nearly 200K with incentives his first year out.

In other words, you could sign a base of 80K and make way more than someone who signs for 150K with few incentives. I plan on and will not settle for making any less than around 150K my first year out. This is reasonable and what most people from my program are easily doing.

16. dinofeet

dinofeet cavs
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Jonwill, which pod school did you attend? What residency program are you attending? Which states are your co-residents practising at? You can PM me. Hope you don't mind me asking!