Thinking of rescheduling DAT, how will this affect my application/chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, if you have experience with this please let me know!

A little about myself and the situation:
I'm scheduled to take the DAT August 4th, right now I do not feel ready. There is availability to reschedule on August 8, 15, 22, and 23. I start school on the 21st, it's the beginning of the semester and teachers would understand if I'm in not class for this test (I'll notify them so I don't get dropped from the course).

I have submitted my app to 13 schools, I do not have a state school but I am from a WICHE state. My grades are verified, LORs are in, good ECs, and did most of the supplementals/paid fees. These are my GPAs from the application: Overall: 3.22, Science 3.31, BCP (Biology/Biochemistry/Chemistry/Physics): 3.30. My DAT is the only thing that is missing.

Thank you in advance. Good luck to everyone this cycle, woohoo!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly august 15,22,23 is pretty late considering it will take atleast 3 weeks for it to be verified. If I were you, I would study really hard these next 2 weeks and take it.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly august 15,22,23 is pretty late considering it will take atleast 3 weeks for it to be verified. If I were you, I would study really hard these next 2 weeks and take it.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm locking myself in my room to study haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump, does anyone else have any advice?

How are you scoring on practice tests? I think 2 weeks is plenty of time to put in some really solid hours and kill the test, but if you're scoring pretty low you might want to wait a bit; your GPA is on the lower end of average so you want to make sure you get a great score. That being said, August is cutting it a bit close.

I would study my ass off until your test date. then a few days before do the 2009 DAT and see how you score. if you score where you want to, great! take the test. if you score poorly, reschedule. however keep in mind you're getting late in the cycle and as others have said with your gpa you need a great test score. But don't take the test just to take it, make sure youre ready.

Reactions: 1 users
How are you scoring on practice tests? I think 2 weeks is plenty of time to put in some really solid hours and kill the test, but if you're scoring pretty low you might want to wait a bit; your GPA is on the lower end of average so you want to make sure you get a great score. That being said, August is cutting it a bit close.

I haven't taken a full length practice test...yet.

I would study my ass off until your test date. then a few days before do the 2009 DAT and see how you score. if you score where you want to, great! take the test. if you score poorly, reschedule. however keep in mind you're getting late in the cycle and as others have said with your gpa you need a great test score. But don't take the test just to take it, make sure youre ready.

Will do, thank you for the advice!

I haven't taken a full length practice test...yet.
Just go buy some extra strong coffee. You got it, and let us all know how you do :thumbup:

Last edited:
I would say that two weeks is plenty of time to nail down some concepts as long as you are fully focused on studying. In my opinion, you're always going to feel like you could have studied just a little more. I think you should take some practice tests to see where your weaknesses are and focus on those. If you really still feel like you won't do well like 3 days before the test, you can reschedule but I would try to take it if possible.

I would say that two weeks is plenty of time to nail down some concepts as long as you are fully focused on studying. In my opinion, you're always going to feel like you could have studied just a little more. I think you should take some practice tests to see where your weaknesses are and focus on those. If you really still feel like you won't do well like 3 days before the test, you can reschedule but I would try to take it if possible.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing a practice test to see where I'm at. I'll do one now.

What have you done so far to prepare for the DAT?

I was screwing around for the beginning and studying on/off, but at the end of last month I started studying for real since I realized I really don't have much time. I'm using Ari's study guide but those are meant for 10 weeks, so I looked at other SDNers 3 week and 4 week study schedules to follow those instead. I finished Chad's QR videos, doing test 1 on Math Destroyer now, it's going really slow and I've seen theses questions before in his videos, just gotta work on getting those concepts down. Been doing PAT like in Ari's schedule, I've went over keyholes, TFE, angle ranking, and hole punching. Will go over cube counting and patter folding. Almost finished with Chad's GC videos like 1.5 sections left, and still do OC. Almost done with Cliffs AP Bio, just about 1/4 section left to do. Been reading science articles from what the bootcamp schedule said.
Haven't done a full length practice test yet, I will do one to see my weaknesses for far. I know QR will definitely be one of them.

Also a side note, timing on the math section is difficult and you will need to practice that for sure. Also, the quantitative comparison questions are tricky sometimes so i would look up videos on those or get a gre book to practice them! good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also a side note, timing on the math section is difficult and you will need to practice that for sure. Also, the quantitative comparison questions are tricky sometimes so i would look up videos on those or get a gre book to practice them! good luck!

Awesome, thank you so so much!

Start taking full tests now. And study on top of that. There's people s that killed DAT by studying only 2-3 weeks (a little luck of course) but you can definitely improve To score really well if uve been studying. Keep reviewing bio, hit generators often and hard, and do problembs on your weak Spots

Start taking full tests now. And study on top of that. There's people s that killed DAT by studying only 2-3 weeks (a little luck of course) but you can definitely improve To score really well if uve been studying. Keep reviewing bio, hit generators often and hard, and do problembs on your weak Spots

Gotcha, thank you everyone for all the advice and encouragement! <3

Hey!
I'm in the same boat! My my DAT is 7/31, so I only have about a week left.

PAT: Using Crack DAT PAT. Getting 18s. Meh.
QR: Using Math Destroyer. It's embarrassing how bad I'm doing.
Bio: I read through Cliff's and Kaplan for that, took notes, didn't retain much, so I'm gonna use Feralis Biology notes for a thorough review. For questions, I'm also using DAT Destroyer. Though I'm naturally good at it, I still need more practice.
RC: I have to start doing some RC problems too, I think I'm going to use Kaplan.
OC/GC: I watched Chad's videos, and now I'm doing DAT Destroyer for the second time for OC and GC. I'm slowly improving in those two, but I'm not where I want to be.

Basically, I'm not feeling prepared at all for any subject. I know that I also need to take some practice exams too.

I have no idea how much I can improve in just a week, but I'm thinking that if I'm still not feeling ready two days before my test date, I'm rescheduling. I figure that $100 is worth the reschedule for a higher score, but someone already mentioned how taking the test mid-August is risky. I wonder if someone had a different experience. The earliest test dates after 7/31 are 8/3 and 8/17.

Also, side note, I submitted my AADSAS application about a month ago, and I had already indicated when I would take my DAT. If I do end up rescheduling, do I need to inform all the schools I applied to?

Honestly, we all feel that we are not ready when its time to take the exam, so just be confident when you take it and try not to stress out

Hey!
I'm in the same boat! My my DAT is 7/31, so I only have about a week left.

PAT: Using Crack DAT PAT. Getting 18s. Meh.
QR: Using Math Destroyer. It's embarrassing how bad I'm doing.
Bio: I read through Cliff's and Kaplan for that, took notes, didn't retain much, so I'm gonna use Feralis Biology notes for a thorough review. For questions, I'm also using DAT Destroyer. Though I'm naturally good at it, I still need more practice.
RC: I have to start doing some RC problems too, I think I'm going to use Kaplan.
OC/GC: I watched Chad's videos, and now I'm doing DAT Destroyer for the second time for OC and GC. I'm slowly improving in those two, but I'm not where I want to be.

Basically, I'm not feeling prepared at all for any subject. I know that I also need to take some practice exams too.

I have no idea how much I can improve in just a week, but I'm thinking that if I'm still not feeling ready two days before my test date, I'm rescheduling. I figure that $100 is worth the reschedule for a higher score, but someone already mentioned how taking the test mid-August is risky. I wonder if someone had a different experience. The earliest test dates after 7/31 are 8/3 and 8/17.

Also, side note, I submitted my AADSAS application about a month ago, and I had already indicated when I would take my DAT. If I do end up rescheduling, do I need to inform all the schools I applied to?

Goodluck to us! My first practice test from BC my AA is 16. I've seen threads where people got their app done in September and October and got in but that's the very few. Not sure about informing your schools.

Goodluck to us! My first practice test from BC my AA is 16. I've seen threads where people got their app done in September and October and got in but that's the very few. Not sure about informing your schools.

I would recommend postponing unless you believe you can significantly raise your score in 2 weeks.

Reactions: 3 users

2nd this, dont let test day be the first day you do a full test

I would recommend postponing unless you believe you can significantly raise your score in 2 weeks.

I'm pretty sure I will at this point. When do you think is the latest I should reschedule? I'm scheduled August 4th right now and there's availability to reschedule on August 8, 15, 22, and 23. There are available dates past this but I think that's cutting it too close.

I'm pretty sure I will at this point. When do you think is the latest I should reschedule? I'm scheduled August 4th right now and there's availability to reschedule on August 8, 15, 22, and 23. There are available dates past this but I think that's cutting it too close.
im on the same boat... my DAT was scheduled for August 4th but i rescheduled to August 8th. I haven't done a full length test, but i'm doing individual practice tests. so far im getting 17s and 18s on them. just got a 20 on o chem and a 13 on bio :/
i decided im gonna haul ass these next 2 weeks and when i take my practice tests the days before, ill determine if im ready. if not, ill probably postpone to the week before school starts, which is he 28th. So maybe like 21st. People say it's risky, however, the last thing i would ever want to do in my life is study for the DAT a second time.
Also, i havent practiced RC yet and am currently getting my ass handed to me by math destroyer.

Last edited:
im on the same boat... my DAT was scheduled for August 4th but i rescheduled to August 8th. I haven't done a full length test, but i'm doing individual practice tests. so far im getting 17s and 18s on them. just got a 20 on o chem and a 13 on bio :/
i decided im gonna haul ass these next 2 weeks and when i take my practice tests the days before, ill determine if im ready. if not, ill probably postpone to the week before school starts, which is he 28th. So maybe like 21st. People say it's risky, however, the last thing i would ever want to do in my life is study for the DAT a second time.
Also, i havent practiced RC yet and am currently getting my ass handed to me by math destroyer.
Sounds good

Looks like you're almost done with content review. It might be rushing it to cram your mastery of that content in two weeks. I'd say extending another two weeks to improve scores another 1 or 2 points would outweigh the delay in your application. Bootcamp full length practice exam will tell you if you're ready. With your GPA, I'd be shooting for DAT above 21

Reactions: 3 users
If you are not ready you postpone!
People don't know what you can or can't do, only you know that, make your decision based on that fact.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing a practice test to see where I'm at. I'll do one now.

I was screwing around for the beginning and studying on/off, but at the end of last month I started studying for real since I realized I really don't have much time. I'm using Ari's study guide but those are meant for 10 weeks, so I looked at other SDNers 3 week and 4 week study schedules to follow those instead. I finished Chad's QR videos, doing test 1 on Math Destroyer now, it's going really slow and I've seen theses questions before in his videos, just gotta work on getting those concepts down. Been doing PAT like in Ari's schedule, I've went over keyholes, TFE, angle ranking, and hole punching. Will go over cube counting and patter folding. Almost finished with Chad's GC videos like 1.5 sections left, and still do OC. Almost done with Cliffs AP Bio, just about 1/4 section left to do. Been reading science articles from what the bootcamp schedule said.
Haven't done a full length practice test yet, I will do one to see my weaknesses for far. I know QR will definitely be one of them.

I didn't read this whole thread and idk if you took it yet, but, from what you said you did, I would FOR SURE not take the test yet. If you don't know what it's like at all, seeing it for the first time with only a week or two left to study is going to be a shock for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn't read this whole thread and idk if you took it yet, but, from what you said you did, I would FOR SURE not take the test yet. If you don't know what it's like at all, seeing it for the first time with only a week or two left to study is going to be a shock for you.

Thank you for your advice. I have taken a full length practice test, I did alright in some areas and need to really improve a lot in other areas. I will reschedule for sure. Do you have advice on when is the latest I should reschedule?

I mean, people are getting interviews now. I'd say hurry up, but make sure to score well. I saw on UCSF's website that the latest you can take the DAT for this cycle is 9/15 in order to get your scores in on time

Are you applying this cycle too?

I mean, people are getting interviews now. I'd say hurry up, but make sure to score well. I saw on UCSF's website that the latest you can take the DAT for this cycle is 9/15 in order to get your scores in on time
Looks like you're almost done with content review. It might be rushing it to cram your mastery of that content in two weeks. I'd say extending another two weeks to improve scores another 1 or 2 points would outweigh the delay in your application. Bootcamp full length practice exam will tell you if you're ready. With your GPA, I'd be shooting for DAT above 21

Thank you for your advice! Do you know if there a list somewhere that says when is the latest date to take the DAT for each school?

In your same shoes my test is August 9th. I'm going to do practice test starting 7/31 till my test date.

Thank you for your advice! Do you know if there a list somewhere that says when is the latest date to take the DAT for each school?
Yea I already applied. I spoke to an admissions director. He said if you must postpone your exam to kill the DAT, then postpone it. But he also said do not venture later than September.

I don't believe I've seen that list

Thank you for your advice. I have taken a full length practice test, I did alright in some areas and need to really improve a lot in other areas. I will reschedule for sure. Do you have advice on when is the latest I should reschedule?

Are you still in undergrad? If so, I wouldn't even apply this cycle. You have nothing but time. Getting a good DAT score and applying a year later will be much more helpful than getting a bad/ok one and applying now. In the event of that, you'd probably have to retake the DAT anyway.

How are you doing on individual tests?

I've taken a full length practice test to see the areas I need to improve on. So now I'm gonna focus on Destroyer to help me in my weak areas before taking anymore practice tests, this way I get concepts down and not waste the practice tests.
What about you?

Well he said he starts school on the 21st so I think he has his deadline

Are you still in undergrad? If so, I wouldn't even apply this cycle. You have nothing but time. Getting a good DAT score and applying a year later will be much more helpful than getting a bad/ok one and applying now. In the event of that, you'd probably have to retake the DAT anyway.

I've already applied lol. Hoping for the best and gonna do my best.

I've taken a full length practice test to see the areas I need to improve on. So now I'm gonna focus on Destroyer to help me in my weak areas before taking anymore practice tests, this way I get concepts down and not waste the practice tests.
What about you?
I haven't been doing too great on individual practice tests (with the exception of o chem) so right now I'm focusing only on Destroyer so I can drill these concepts in my head before doing practice tests again.

I'd still hold off on applying, do you have experience? As in volunteering, shadowing, LOR, etc... yet?

Yeah, everything else is good. Just my GPA is on the lower side in my first post, and only my DAT is missing from my app.

Yeah, everything else is good. Just my GPA is on the lower side in my first post, and only my DAT is missing from my app.

I see, as of now when were you planning on taking the DAT? I'm also applying right now and retook my dat this summer (last week) so I asked a lot of schools how late taking it would effect me.

I see, as of now when were you planning on taking the DAT? I'm also applying right now and retook my dat this summer (last week) so I asked a lot of schools how late taking it would effect me.

I'm scheduled for August 4th but will reschedule. Haven't decided when yet, there is availability to reschedule on August 8, 15, 22, and 23. There are available dates past this but I think that's cutting it too close. Applied to 13 schools, I do not have a state school but I am from a WICHE state.

I'm scheduled for August 4th but will reschedule. Haven't decided when yet, there is availability to reschedule on August 8, 15, 22, and 23. There are available dates past this but I think that's cutting it too close. Applied to 13 schools, I do not have a state school but I am from a WICHE state.
Pick your date soon so you'll be pressured to study more intensely. That time crunch does wonders

Pick your date soon so you'll be pressured to study more intensely. That time crunch does wonders

But he is not ready, cramming is not gonna help that much you know
I find the stress of having the test soon is getting me up all night
I mean I always sleep at 4 am or 5 am.
now I have to sleep at 6 am or beyond.
and he'll pay again if the date is soon and he is not ready again
so far I re-scheduled 4 times
it was on the 4th
then I made it 10th
then I made it 14th
then I made it 21st ( I payed like 25, 25, 60, 60 dollars)
now I know I won't be ready on the 21st, but I am trying to keep it on 21st to force myself to be ready.
I have to travel for 3 days in august, and that is screwing everything for me.

No, I correct myself, Freaking Biology is screwing everything for me.

i advise to get off sdn - it adds unneeded stress and wastes time.