Thinking of switching from pre-med to pre dental- Need advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Please bare with me and with all the info I have here. I need a lot of advice please!!

I've been in a difficult predicament lately. So I'm currently pre-med, but after a lot of thinking, shadowing, and personal decisions, I believe it's not for me. I've been considering other health related careers, and dentistry has been at the top of my list (I don't want to go into the specifics of WHY dentistry in this post; im here for something else).

So I'm currently a junior, and I wanted to share my stats/ extracurriculars to help explain more info:
-3.93 cumulative gpa; 3.91 science gpa
-Volunteering in ambulatory surgery/ pre-surgery at hospital (150 hours, ongoing)
-Work experience:
-3 months KMART
-2 years Muvico Theaters
-1 year Jewelry Store
-Member of Alpha Sigma Nu
-Member of NSCS
-Member of Golden Key Honor Society
-2 school related scholarships for GPA
-Tutoring for 2 years
-Member of Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre health) (2 years)
-Member of Neuroscience Society (1 year)
-Research in Ecotoxicology Lab (May 2014- on going)
-Floor hockey team captain
-Assistant soccer coach for summer

Now, obviously I don't have any dental experience, and I know time is running out as I'm starting my junior year and I am behind. I want to shadow a dentist for a long duration of time (Already shadowed one in the past to see how it was), and maybe some dental specialties as well, and I would like to volunteer at a dental office/clinic. Assuming I do all this, and do good on the DAT, what would be my chances? Would I be fine since I started getting experience this year, and until I graduate?

Also, when do most people take their DAT? How hard is the test compared to other health professions, and when do you apply to dental school? Can you have pre-reqs completed after you apply (but before graduation)?

I know this is a lot of info, but this is a big life decision and I would like to get some advice. Please help me out. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, when do most people take their DAT? How hard is the test compared to other health professions, and when do you apply to dental school? Can you have pre-reqs completed after you apply (but before graduation)?

The latest time that I would recommend to take the DAT is around June-July of the cycle that you apply. Application starts on June 1st (usually) and you can still submit the AADSAS application before taking the DAT. You don't have to complete all the pre-reqs before applying but have to before graduation/enrolling into dental school.

Do you think I can get enough dental experience until I apply, being a junior? And how do my stats/ EC look (so far)?
The latest time that I would recommend to take the DAT is around June-July of the cycle that you apply. Application starts on June 1st (usually) and you can still submit the AADSAS application before taking the DAT. You don't have to complete all the pre-reqs before applying but have to before graduation/enrolling into dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I can get enough dental experience until I apply, being a junior? And how do my stats/ EC look (so far)?

Your GPAs are competitive; EC looks great; researching is a plus! Do some dental shadowing and study well for the DAT (aim for 18-19 and above!). I took mine in June so I could study during early summer but of course you can take it anytime from now until you apply. You have good stats. Don't worry! :)

A year is plenty of time to get shadowing or other dental related experience in. Just do a little every week, and it won't be too overwhelming. Last year around this time I had zero dental experience, but I was able to get in the hours over the course of the year and now have several interviews. Your GPA is beautiful, so I'm sure you're capable of getting a great DAT score. Just read over posts on SDN, formulate a manageable timeline, and you'll be fine.

A year is plenty of time to get shadowing or other dental related experience in. Just do a little every week, and it won't be too overwhelming. Last year around this time I had zero dental experience, but I was able to get in the hours over the course of the year and now have several interviews. Your GPA is beautiful, so I'm sure you're capable of getting a great DAT score. Just read over posts on SDN, formulate a manageable timeline, and you'll be fine.

Would a lot of shadowing hours be good enough (probably what I will go for, since I'll be taking class, and then having to study for DAT, so dental related job might be hard)? Is this good, like 50-100 hours, maybe in a couple settings if possible?

I believe most applicants (on SDN) aim for 100 hours of shadowing and the majority of that should be with a general dentist. I personally got a dental assisting job, and it's been a great experience, but shadowing is perfectly fine.

So with the overall picture, do you guys think I'm "late" in doing pre-dental? I know I'm behind, but it doesn't mean I can't cove up with a positive stride.

I think you'll be fine! A year is plenty of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Besides shadowing a general dentist, would it be good to shadow a pediatric dentist, and also an orthodontist?

Props to you for doing your homework to figure out what you want to do. If there's one thing I can't reiterate enough on here - don't go into a program because you think you might like it! (That was me).

I think youre fine.

You're not "behind". Take your time and make sure this is something you want to do for a career.

As for the DAT, it is very comparable to the MCAT. I should know, I took both. PAT and QR are probably the 2 biggest differences.

Applying procedure is the same for any other health profession schools. GPA, DAT (MCAT, PCAT, etc), LOE, Personal Statement, EC, the works. Admission cycle runs a full year. Acceptances go out starting in Dec.

Since you were premed, Im sure you are familiar with the application processes.