Third time applicant, Canadian, 3.75cGPA, 3.69sGPA, 507 -->507-->516 MCAT

Med_bound_maybe

Jan 12, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
I am a Canadian premed, about to finish up my thesis-based master's degree - I'd appreciate any insight/feedback!

I have applied to medical school twice thus far:
1. First cycle (2017-2018), only applied to MD schools and stats were as follows: GPA 3.65, sGPA 3.64, MCAT taken twice - 1st attempt August 2016 - score 507 (128/125/127/127); second attempt August 2017, same score (breakdown: 126/124/128/129)
One interview invite from the University of Arizona - Tucson (which I had to turn down because I realized that although international students could apply, you need to be a US permanent resident or US citizen in order to matriculate).

I really shouldn't have applied the first time but I gave in to the pressure of needing to get into med school right away after undergrad. I was more prepared to apply the second time but my master's project was at risk of being extended by a year so I only applied to 10 MD schools, and applied to DO schools extremely late in the game.

2. Second application cycle (2019-2020), took the MCAT for the third time in May 2019 and got 516 (128/128/130/130); GPA 3.75, sGPA 3.69. Applied to 10 MD schools early-ish (finished all secondaries by early Sept), applied to 3 DO schools VERY late (submitted primaries in mid Jan, 2020). As DOs are extremely rare in Canada and I didn't have a LOR from a DO, I didn't think I would have a shot at osteopathic med schools.
Received an interview invite from AZCOM, and I am currently on the waitlist. I know I shot myself in the foot by applying to DO schools so late, but I feel more prepared to apply very early this cycle (2020-2021).

**represents additions for the upcoming cycle

Clinical hours:
Total 850 (** plus 80 more since last cycle)
Providing psychosocial & informational support to adult cancer patients & caregivers
Rural health internship abroad (worked with a US MD doctor)
Hospital volunteering (general tasks, patient visiting etc)

Shadowing:
15 hours peds oncologist
90 hours neurosurgeon
100 hours primary care (through the rural health internship abroad)

Community service & ECs:
400+ hours (**90 more since last cycle) - president of non-profit organization that provides swimming lessons & aquatic therapy to kids with physical & developmental disabilities, and those coming from low income families
500+ hours - various peer mentorships, science literacy advocation, leadership, tutoring stuff

Research:
**Thesis based master's - 2 international conferences, 2 first- author pubs (submitted, not accepted yet)
*1 third author paper, comprehensive review paper
1000+ hours of research in undergrad in psych and neuro-onolocy labs (2 poster presentations, no pubs)

Various leadership awards (**2 new leadership awards since last cycle, both granted by my school's faculty of medicine) and few scholarships (small, $5,000 and under)

Are there any areas that seem lacking? I was supposed to shadow a primary care doc from Feb-June but he had to cancel due to COVID19.
I have a list of MD and DO schools that I'm eyeing but would appreciate any school lists as well. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Med_bound_maybe

Jan 12, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
That's a nice MCAT improvement. What did you do differently the third time?

Thank you! I did a lot more practice tests and passages third time around, and approached CARs completely differently (started doing practice passages 4 months prior to my test date, did 3-4 passages everyday. First focused on getting answers right and reasoning through the questions, then about 3 months out, focused on timing. Didn't follow any kind of strategy, except highlighting dates and names. Only used Jack weston, Khan academy and AAMC packs - jack weston mostly for getting my timing down because their passages can be a hit or miss in terms of imitating the actual CARs section). For the other sections, just practiced a lot (khan academy and AAMC practice passages), and for psych, I read through the 300 page khan academy doc that's circulating (either on SDN or reddit - I forget - but it's very comprehensive so I'd highly recommend sifting through it).

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.