Third time applicant. Silence from schools. Should I send updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mmeow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a third time, non-traditional applicant for this cycle.

I’m getting quite anxious because I haven’t heard back from majority of schools I applied. Not even rejections or holds. This happened to me last time and I am starting to get worried.

I applied ~30 schools, 2 II (invited on September), 3 pre-II rejections.

I think my stats and application are average that they just set it aside just because I'm a re-applicant in many schools and not getting any attention. Being forgotten...

Should I call each school and check my status? Or should I send any form of updates to schools?

The thing is I am currently working as a full-time researcher at a medical device company and I don’t really have anything to update other than work-related stuff (which is not considered clinical experience at all). I don’t think it will significantly change the outcome but I am thinking maybe giving them any form of heads-up might help.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Patience is a virtue.

Since you have nothing important to update, you'll only come across as needy.

What are your stats, state of residence, and your school list?

Hello,

I am a third time, non-traditional applicant for this cycle.

I’m getting quite anxious because I haven’t heard back from majority of schools I applied. Not even rejections or holds. This happened to me last time and I am starting to get worried.

I applied ~30 schools, 2 II (invited on September), 3 pre-II rejections.

I think my stats and application are average that they just set it aside just because I'm a re-applicant in many schools and not getting any attention. Being forgotten...

Should I call each school and check my status? Or should I send any form of updates to schools?

The thing is I am currently working as a full-time researcher at a medical device company and I don’t really have anything to update other than work-related stuff (which is not considered clinical experience at all). I don’t think it will significantly change the outcome but I am thinking maybe giving them any form of heads-up might help.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reactions: 1 user
it's really tough to send a substantial update if you don't actually have anything to include..

what were the decisions for your IIs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Patience is a virtue.
Since you have nothing important to update, you'll only come across as needy.
What are your stats, state of residence, and your school list?

Here's brief stats:

college: one of UCs
cGPA: 3.69
sGPA: 3.74
1st MCAT: PS 12 VR 9 BS 10 (total: 31)
2nd MCAT: PS 14 VR 6 BS 14 (total: 34)
3rd MCAT: Phys 131 CARS 125 Bio 127 Psych 126 (total:509)
Clinical: Shadowing OB/GYN Clinic ~100 hrs
Volunteering (three diff hospitals) ~750 hrs
Research: short research during summer
currently working in a lab (Research & Development department)
Non-clinical: worked as part-time as a SATII/AP science tutor in local SAT academy right after graduation

state of residence: NJ

I'll post the school list in a few hours.

it's really tough to send a substantial update if you don't actually have anything to include..
what were the decisions for your IIs?

1 waitlisted and the other one is in a couple weeks

I'll bet what is giving pause to the Adcoms/screeners is the 3x MCAT takes, with weak VR scores, but overall good scores, which makes one wonder why the retakes?

I recommend gaining more service hrs to others less fortunate than yourself.

Here's brief stats:

college: one of UCs
cGPA: 3.69
sGPA: 3.74
1st MCAT: PS 12 VR 9 BS 10 (total: 31)
2nd MCAT: PS 14 VR 6 BS 14 (total: 34)
3rd MCAT: Phys 131 CARS 125 Bio 127 Psych 126 (total:509)
Clinical: Shadowing OB/GYN Clinic ~100 hrs
Volunteering (three diff hospitals) ~750 hrs
Research: short research during summer
currently working in a lab (Research & Development department)
Non-clinical: worked as part-time as a SATII/AP science tutor in local SAT academy right after graduation

state of residence: NJ

I'll post the school list in a few hours.

1 waitlisted and the other one is in a couple weeks

NJ resident w/ those stats? Surprised Cooper gave you no love.
From NJ who went out of state to UC - agre Ie w Goro - work with a less fortunate population. If you are still in NJ, Bancroft is a great organization to volunteer with www.bancroft.org They are located in south and central Jersey and ALWAYS looking for volunteers, and it can be really informal. You really get an eye opening experience - volunteering with them for 6 months pushed my out of my comfort zone and it was impactful. just my 2 cents