Third time DAT....Is buying the 2011 DAT destroyer necessary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dathatesme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the DAT for the third time next month. First time score was 15AA and 15TS (2009), second time 18AA, 18TS (2010). The schools I want to get in advised me to retake and try to get at least a 20.
I have DAT destroyer 2008 and 2009. I have notes from CHAD'S videos the free one from two years ago and CDP. For Biology I got Cliff's ap (old edition I got from half price books), random bio notes from SDN and examkrackers biology.
So my question is do I need to buy the 2011 DAT destroyer, ADA paid exam and subscription to chad's videos, or can I still kill this exam with what I have?
Also, should I buy topscore again as I do not have access to any full length exams anymore :(
FYI, first time I prepared for this exam I used Kaplan, second time I used sdn:)

Any helpful advice would be appreciated:)
Thanks!
Just a note for ppl who may tell me to give up (Plz don't waste your time by posting a useless comment).

Members don't see this ad.

I can't advise you on the destroyer. I would assume that it is good enough. How was your math, rq, and qr scores?

If lower PAT i would get --> Crack DAT PAT
If Low Math --> Crack DAT MAth and the Math destroyer

You watched chad's videos and know what they are worth (assuming you watched them since you have old notes). I would definitely use them if I were to study for the exam again. 50$ is not much...

My opinion is you should get both Top Score and Dat Achiever...The more practice the better you will get. Use them as a study tool and make sure you know why each answer is right or wrong. Take one before you start studying for the exam to see where your weakness are. Then take the remainder through out the time you are studying in order to roughly gage your progress (save 1 Top score and 1 achiever for the end).

I have more study plan suggestions posted which should give a good idea of what you can do in order to get each subject solidified.

Spending $200-500 now may seem like a bit but I know you have already spent a load applying to dental school and paying for 2 tests. Think of it as an investment!:thumbup:

I wouldn't buy the 2011 if you already have 2010.

let get something straight... if you can't hack a 20 with 2010 destroyer, then 2011 ain't gonna make the difference.

all the best with retake

Thanks for the reply. I love your site Philippines03j.
Math was 14 and RC was 18 first time,21 second time, PAT WAS 16 AND 15. I always tried practicing the math included in the DAT destroyer but I guess this time I should buy the MATH destroyer. As for chad's videos, would I be able to go through them in a month?
Thanks for the advice:) I have following sdn for some time and I knew I could count on you guys to give some helpful comments.

Members don't see this ad :)
My long long comment was removed by accidentally tapping on back space twice....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Okay I will re-write for you because this might help you out. I want to recommend to watch Chad's video for Gchem and Organic section while taking copious notes. Chad covers the Gchem section almost 100%, but it's really hard to follow his Orgo lectures after Day 3.(Just my opinion :laugh:)
Therefore if you feel lost on Orgo, just re-watch the video until you get it, and writing the reactions on the index cards helps you to understand better. Also, the quizes that Chad made for us are great!!! ( going over Chad's video would take about a month)

While you are going over the Chad's stuff, I would definitely go ver KBB bio section + taking notes. Although many people would cry out loud that KBB bio section is useless, I disagree. It really helps you to build solid basics into your head, especially if you are weak in bio. After you are finished with KBB bio, I would jump into Cliff's AP bio, this one will help you to add more details. I would definitely read at least twice while using anki to make index cards. (for the bio section, you will need hundreds of index cards to write them down... so I would recommend using anki)

Once you are done withthe stuffs above, NOW is time to take a practice test with either topscore or achiever(You have to know where you are standing). I recommend using topscore because of the fact that it is comparable to real DAT.

And now it's time to jump into the Destroyer, and see how destroyer is helpful to improve your Gchem and Orgo section. I wouldn't rely too much on destroyer for the Bio section. Just keep reading and go over the notes for this section. After going over the Destroyer twice, which can take about two weeks. Take the topscores + Kaplan tests if you have it + achiever + paid ADA sample test a day before the test.

I hope this helps to improve your DAT score

To DATHATESME I think you have so much determination and I know you will definitely succeed!!! Just keep trying and never give up. Have you by any chance tried applying to any Texas schools or other states?

Usually tried to stay in state but will try out of state this year (including Texas:)). Hopefully third time is the charm. I figured if my score went up 3 points the second time then this time it should be 21:laugh: (As I am planning to actually seriously study for more than a two weeks)
Thanks for the kind words, I am unable to give up as my curse is persistence:rolleyes:

Usually tried to stay in state but will try out of state this year (including Texas:)). Hopefully third time is the charm. I figured if my score went up 3 points the second time then this time it should be 21:laugh: (As I am planning to actually seriously study for more than a two weeks)
Thanks for the kind words, I am unable to give up as my curse is persistence:rolleyes:

I've heard that the Texas schools accept like 95% in-state and barely accept any out-of-state applicants. I still may apply but this is something you should be aware of (unless I'm wrong:D). If you're wondering what out-of-state schools to apply to then make sure to check out this thread: **What Schools Should I Apply To? / What Are My Chances?** (Read if this is you)

About 2011 Destroyer...I've never seen the 2010 but I do know that he claims to have 75 NEW problems in the 2011. The section I think any new problems would help the most in is the bio cuz for bio, new problem = new fact that you may not have known before. For the gen chem and orgo, new problems would just be more practice and therefore might not be as helpful.

I would also definitely get the 2009 ADA paid exam and take it TWO days before the actual test. This is because there's a few math questions that are pretty crazy on that thing and I never got a chance to learn how to do those problems cuz I took mine the day before and didn't have time to learn from it. Luckily none of those types of problems showed up on my math section. (I got some completely different crazy problems:eek:)