Third time reapplicant deciding on applying this year or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THrowawayantacid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have applied two years in a row (2017 and 2018) and both cycles I ended up with 1 late interview each without acceptance. My stats are 511/515 MCAT, 3.42 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA with cookie cutter ECs (1000 hr research no pubs, 80hr shadowing, 100 hr ER volunteer, 60 non clinical volunteering, 50 hours private tutoring, 1 year scribing).

School list:
EVMS
VCU
Drexel
U of MD
Stony brook
NYMC
Penn state
Rush
Emory
Miami Miller
Temple
U of Rochester
VTC
Tulane
Tufts

I began working as a full time lab tech in a hospital and have gained about 80 more non clinical volunteer hours since last cycle. I believe my low gpa and cookie cutter ECs were the reasons for my low success so should I consider a DIY post bac or a SMP? If so do I apply this year or wait another year?

I currently live in VA, near EVMS. If taking more classes, I prefer the DIY post bac since it will cost 3 times as less as a SMP at EVMS so I would like more insight into SMP vs post bac.

I’m the meantime, I am looking into hospice volunteer as I have interest in it and want to improve my clinical hours. One last thing, I did notice my personal statement from last cycle wasn’t something I was proud of looking back at it now. I think I have a better idea of how I should frame my narrative so I can better show why I am pursuing a MD.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! Thank you for the thorough background. Your GPA isn't bad but it doesn't hurt to improve your application by doing a postbac if you're a 3rd time applicant. If it's DIY, definitely shoot for a few semesters of full-time upper level sciences. Essentially, you're trying to prove that you handle a typical medical school semester. Build your classes to mimic that structure. I highly recommend reaching out to the schools you applied to in the past and ask them what specifically you could improve upon. Definitely reach out to the places you interview at and ask how you can improve both on applications and on interview skills. Most of the time, they'll say bump up that GPA with some extra classes. Other than that, MCAT looks fine. I do question your extra-curriculars. Are you just checking things off of a list or are you engaging in activities that you're truly passionate about - I ask that because your descriptions in your applications and essays will speak for themselves. I would encourage you to look over activity descriptions and make sure they aren't just "I volunteered here for this many hours." Instead, explain why each experience was valuable and what skills you now have that will be applicable to your role as a physician. Happy to discuss further or look over other details of your application! :)

Good luck!
Lauren

Thank you Lauren! I definitely enjoy my most recent volunteer experience and have some ideas on how to write about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what you've written, I see a 'slightly below average' applicant numbers-wise with below-average ECs. I don't pick up any burning desire or even anything remotely interesting. Why should one of these all-very-popular schools choose you over a great number of other qualified applicants? Do you want this or not? If so, how much?

Now prove it!

I would want to see at least 200 more volunteering hours done within the next year alone doing something interesting -- NOT just the same old box-checking. You'll need to muster up some passion and make it show.

And if you want to be a physician, also apply DO.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you willing to apply to DO schools? If so you could reapply to MD schools and also apply to DO schools. Even if you improve your GPA by taking science courses in a DIY post bacc there is no guarantee of a MD acceptance in your 3rd cycle.

DokterMom’s post definitely hit home. I lack the thing that shows why I want to be a physician and it definitely was hard to talk about in my interviews. I think I will take another year from applying and reaffirm why I want to be a physician with hospice or nursing home volunteering. I will have to retake the MCAT if I do still want to apply after the year though