Third year IMG about to start clinicals-any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healer777

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a third year student from a Caribbean school. I went to med school wanting to do psych, and I want to maximize my chances of matching while also being effective.

My school does things a little differently; we have to wait a few months between taking step I and starting clinicals. They will not even schedule us until after we get our scores back, and then it will still be a 1-2 month wait.

I took step in June and scored a 239. I know that that is a decent score, but I also am aware that as an IMG I will be held to a higher standard. I will start my first rotation in New York (internal medicine) in early Sept. I am lucky in that after that, I will have back-to-back core rotations through Aug 2019.So there is a chance that I can match in 2020 as planned initially.

I am a little concerned though, because I will not have a chance to take time off to study for step II. I am very efficient with my studying and I can get a lot done in a short amount of time, but still...with clinicals, I am still not sure if I will have enough time. I am also concerned because I will only really have time to complete one elective before submitting my residency application (if I go for the 2020 match).

I have been thinking about waiting for the 2021 match. I have applied for an online MPH program. I am also interested in research, and I would love the chance to get a publication or two before submitting my residency application (which would be almost impossible if I go for 2020).

I read another thread in this forum, however, where a USMD student was thinking about delaying his match year due to not having step II completed in time, and everyone cautioned him not to.

I know my situation as an IMG is a little bit different though. Would it look really bad for me to complete an MPH and/or do research for a year after graduation? Does anyone have any advice on the path that I should take? If I decide to go for the 2020 match, I should start studying for step II CK immediately, I think. I would have to take it before completing all of my cores. But again, I am good at teaching myself things and I am efficient with studying...

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert in IMG matching, but I do know there can be all kinds of crazy hurdles depending on which state or which school you are looking at. There are some places where you really have to have a year off to apply. I still think you should apply where you can and then apply again if unsuccessful. You have a good step I and it sounds like you are doing what you need to. Good luck.

I did the exact thing you are trying to do, and had the same question back in 2009. I'm a U.S. IMG from a Caribbean school.
I studied hard for step 1 for about a month, all day every day, and about 2 weeks for step 2, and about a week for step 3. I should have studied 2 weeks for step 3. I arranged my clinical rotations so I had two weeks in between rotations to study before step 2. I also found that attendings were understanding when I took the day before the test and test day off my rotation when I let them know ahead of time. I would encourage you not to put off matching for a year, UNLESS you are in a rigorous MPH program and published. I would still take step 2 on time rather than put it off a year, even if doing an MPH.