third year reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillybabe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes I know this is probably not needed, but I would like to keep in touch with path during my third year rotations next year. Are there any books you recommend to go over few pages a weekend that will help with my fourth year electives? I have already read Robbins once during my second year. Should I just read over it again? Congratulations to all those who matched into path this year.

Members don't see this ad.

dear philly babe,
just work hard in your rotations. It is your only chance to touch base with clinical medicine. Use it. You will "naturally" come into all kinds of pathology. If you have free time to study journals or review Robbins, then you are not studying hard enough.

After doing a PSF, I could not shut off the pathology side of my life third year. So here are some suggestions to stay involved (which I think is a good thing for when it comes time to ask for recommendations):

1) Attend the multidisciplinary pathology conferences of whatever rotation you are on, such as rads-path, or tumor board, etc. Ask the pathology program director or chair for a list of conferences that pathologists are a part of and attend when you can. You will not only display interest to the pathology department, you will show interest to your current attending.

2) Read 1 pathology journal a month. Everyone has free time 3rd year to get down to the library and thumb through the journals. Get to know some of the literature and what is considered new exciting horizon material for pathologists. It will give you an idea of what type of research you may want to participate in. Or it will give you a good basis for both your essay and your interviews. Remember that pathologists are often trying to answer the question "why". We are the scientists of medicine. Also makes for great discussion (i.e. what do you think of latest gene transfer techniques and the impact they will have on the future of pathology?)

3) For ALL of the dozens of presentations I gave 3rd year, I would review histologic features or laboratory testing of the topic and report this to my audience. I would often print out a few copies of images I wanted to discuss. For example on a 5-minute discourse of myeloma, I printed out a couple of copies of a montage of pictures of radiographic bone findings, myeloma colonies, and electropheresis gels. While my team(s) would occasionally giggle at the fact that I was hyper-pathology focused, I could often demonstrate things they did not know which would make the presentation more interesting. Plus pictures always sparked good discussions, taking the pressure off me. As surgical pathologists, being able to describe a picture of a micro specimen to others is critical (good practice!)

4) Review pathology of lesions in text as time permits. Familiarize yourself with histologic features of disease. Make every rotation not only a learning experience of that particular specialty, but also a learning experience specific for a pathologist. I viewed every rotation through pathology.

5) Go to the path labs and look at your own smears and specimens. Review the cases with a resident and/or attending. Sit in on path sign-out on occasion. Get involved with your labs.

These recommendations should of course be additional to the activities delineated by the rotation you are in. I, however, did not find them to be incongruent with course objectives. In fact, I felt my attendings admired my consistent interest in pathology and never felt any negative repercussions as a result of it.

Good Luck and sorry for the long-windedness...

Mindy