Thirty-year-old Soldier considering dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strider One

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It took me eight years to graduate from college, which I do not think is a recommendation in and of itself for an advanced degree. I also did not have a very good grade point average--2.97. I wanted to be a Special Education teacher and I was taking Spanish classes to improve my language skills. I learned of a post-baccalaurate program and felt that I could actually be a teacher sooner if I graduated in Spanish and then got a job and entered the program.

I do not know if I am a loser or if it was the economy, perhaps a mix of the two, but the only work that I found was as a substitute teacher, which went very poorly. I joke that I decided that it was safer to join the Army.

I felt that I was out of options, but I actually enjoy the Army. Just joining was more of a commitment than I wanted, considering being an Officer was too much, and I did not know if I would be able to do it. In the end I ended up as a fueler.

I do not want to pump gas for the rest of my life and I am considering the Health Professions Scholarship program, but my only lab sciences were Astronomy.

The difficulty is that I am stationed in Germany. I will be here until November of 2011 and then I am supposed to be able to leave the Army the following April.

With low expectations I looked for online lab science classes and the best that I found was one that required finals to be done in-person.

Do I have better options than waiting until I can attend school full-time and trying to get the classes done as quickly as possible? Can I take more than two lab sciences per semester?

If not it would take another two years!

Members don't see this ad.

Do I have better options than waiting until I can attend school full-time and trying to get the classes done as quickly as possible? Can I take more than two lab sciences per semester?

If not it would take another two years!

Two years isn't as long as you think. During that time you can add richness to your experience and to your life. They won't be wasted.

Now if you were 46, like me, you might have some excuse for counting down the months.