This August Retakers!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quadmanturbo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey.........I wonder what were your breakdowns last time and how did you go to improve them this August? :)

Members don't see this ad.

8/8/12 R

- studied way more (like at least 6+ hours for 2.5 months)
- focused more on PS + verbal, less on bio
- did literally every question in the TPR science workbook
- used a variety of sources (TPR, EK, AAMC, Kaplan, Nova's Physics)
- made studying my day job
- tried to relax more

i found improving PS was really easy, once i really tried to understand the material conceptually and the formulas like the back of my hand. the practice for verbal did not yield as great of returns as all my PS practice did.

i found bio quite hard on my test form (EG). worries me, becuase last year i walked out of bio feeling amazing, and it reflected in my score.

11/11/12 N

- obviously, did a lot more practice on the writing sample with a friend that consistently does well in this section
- although I got an 11, still did a lot of verbal passages/tests so that I could perhaps keep my score
- did well in science, so used about the same strategy for general studying, but with more practice this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaboat said:
8/8/12 R

- studied way more (like at least 6+ hours for 2.5 months)
- focused more on PS + verbal, less on bio
- did literally every question in the TPR science workbook
- used a variety of sources (TPR, EK, AAMC, Kaplan, Nova's Physics)
- made studying my day job
- tried to relax more

i found improving PS was really easy, once i really tried to understand the material conceptually and the formulas like the back of my hand. the practice for verbal did not yield as great of returns as all my PS practice did.

i found bio quite hard on my test form (EG). worries me, becuase last year i walked out of bio feeling amazing, and it reflected in my score.

I had the same form as you did, but last time I was less worried about the physical sciences than I was this time (last time I scored an 11, and I ususally score a 12 on practice tests). I didn't seem to get any of the sound questions! What did you think of that passage (acoustics)?

allennh said:
why would you retake with a 34?

I'm Canadian, and applying to only Canadian schools. Unfortunately, an N either brings down my MCAT average (if the school counts it in calculations) or is not high enough to meet some school's cutoffs, if they have a WS cutoff (e.g. sometimes O, P or Q).

I guess I should have explained in my first post!