This forum is in the wrong place: It is Preventive Medicine, NOT Family Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tropical-International-Global-Enviromental Medicine is Preventive Medicine...which is a specialty VERY different from Family Medicine (as I came to find out). It has nothing even remotely related to Family Medicine.

-Family Medicine focuses on treating individuals, and following preventive guidelines/measures on individuals.

-Preventive Medicine focuses on preventing and treating disease at the population/global level, and developing preventive guidelines for individuals and populations.

It is like comparing apples and dinasours! Tropical & International medicine falls under Enviromental/Global medicine, which is purely within the job description and training of Preventive Medicine...not Family Medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

since physicians from basically any speciality can be involved in tropical medicine or global health this forum shouldn't be couched under just family medicine. Global health isn't just about the population, it's also about caring for individuals. I think if this forum wasn't hidden under FM as a subtopic it would be more vibrant. Topics relating to global health crop up in various SDN forums which means that there is interest. I mentioned this to the moderator of the forum and never received a response. :shrug:

since physicians from basically any speciality can be involved in tropical medicine or global health this forum shouldn't be couched under just family medicine. Global health isn't just about the population, it's also about caring for individuals. I think if this forum wasn't hidden under FM as a subtopic it would be more vibrant. Topics relating to global health crop up in various SDN forums which means that there is interest. I mentioned this to the moderator of the forum and never received a response. :shrug:

Sorry I didn't get back to you; as a graduating resident, who is moving over 1000 miles to start a new job, the past few months have been very busy.

I brought up the issue to the site administrators - I have no power to move this forum or do anything with it. They felt that there isn't enough consistent site wide interest to create its own forum or move it elsewhere.

I think if this forum wasn't hidden under FM as a subtopic it would be more vibrant. Topics relating to global health crop up in various SDN forums which means that there is interest.

smq thanks for bringing it up to the admins. I do agree with this post though. i'm interested, but it took me quite a while to notice it was even here.