This Good Enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medking

The time will come...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After high school here in the states, I attended a college in Japan for 2.5 years before transferring back to a college in the states.

In Japan:

-Intercollegiate Soccer: 2.5 years
-School Newspaper Chief Editor: 1.5 years
-Dorm Cultural Exchange Committee Lead: 1.25 years

In the States:

-Assistant Soccer Coach/Trainer: volunteered 3 years in high school and 2 summers while in college. I just started again today so this will be my 3rd summer while in college.
-Undergraduate Research: 1.3 years
-Hospital Volunteering: 6 months
-Housing Student Government for one of the complexes at my school: 1 year
-Chemistry Department Tutoring: 1 quarter. Will be continuing in the fall.
-Club Soccer: 4 months (Fall league)

I also just started teaching English to two kids as a job. Will do this over the whole summer (~2 months). Also, starting July I start my volunteer internship as a medical scribe. This will be more like shadowing an ER doctor.

Do you think my EC's are ok??? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dedication to soccer is nice but more important is that it seems to overshadow your medical experiences. If you're apply this rotation then your upcoming scribe activity won't "count" so it hinges solely on that 6 months and how much you got out of it.

Seems alright, just low on the clinical

I didn't have many extracurricular activities, and I was accepted. I think it depends on your application as a whole - case by case basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dedication to soccer is nice but more important is that it seems to overshadow your medical experiences. If you're apply this rotation then your upcoming scribe activity won't "count" so it hinges solely on that 6 months and how much you got out of it.

Seems alright, just low on the clinical

Hey, giving your application a unique spin often adds a lot to the application and the interview. If you fall upon a soccer lover, you're in! haha. But really, I think it looks good, but it's not about the list, it's about what you learned from it, what you did with it, what LORs you get with it, etc... You can have all the individual pieces perfect, but if you can't put it together in a nice tight package for the application, it wont matter.

Any other opinions on my EC's? One mentioned that my numerous involvement in soccer could take away from my clinical stuff.

I would appreciate comments. LizzyM, what is your take?

Thanks guys!!!