This HAS to be the worst application year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizardKing

Veteran Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm just reiterating what you all have said to one another at some point...but is this not the worst year in the history of med school admissions?

It started with the AMCAS fiasco (which is still not over) and it just went downhill from there...anthrax and the mail delays, and now every time I fly I ask myself, "Is going to an interview worth dying for?"

I guess in the end it won't really matter, but it sure has been a strange trip so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Being that it's about X-mas, let's try to see the glass as half-full...shall we? :rolleyes: On my first interview, I was pretty scared since I was flying the week after 9/11. But I've felt more confident now each time I take off with more stringent security measures. Plus, we all get the benefit of lower ticket prices and more travel deals, although they come from such a terrible event. I have to admit though the AMCAS mess is such a test of our patience. I hope the schools keep this in mind.

And sadly, it ain't over yet. Bombs in tennis shoes? Just when you thought it was safe to get on a plane...

On a lighter note, it's past midnight, so Merry Christmas!

Members don't see this ad :)
I admit, this has been a frustrating admissions year, but I wouldn't necessarily say "bad". Sure, flying seems more dangerous, and it's certainly more stressful than ever, but I but I would think its actually safer. At Newark a few weeks ago I had to take off my belt (and mind you my pants were a little too big) for them to scan me -aside from the ladies getting a nice show ;) , I think security really is tight as hell these days. Also, on the bright side, the aggregate number of applicants seems to be lower yet again, so we all have a better chance of getting in somewhere! :)

I'll reiterate what I've mentioned before in another post....class-action suit against AMCAS may be warranted...........hint, hint all you legal types! :D

i missed the post that mentioned a class-action suit. there is at least one school that amcas's having sent my info IN DECEMBER when I submitted it in SEPTEMBER means that I will probably not get a reasonable interview. (I just received the secondary). Think of all the lost $$$$ not to mention the immeasurable punitive damages figure. It could be a hefty sum. i want in! too bad that the only people who would want to sue are pre-MED and naturally not so knowledgeable about legal matters. this would never happen to law school applicants!

No one will sue. Simple as that.

No one will sue. No one SHOULD sue.

I agree, Alice. Unfortunately, I don't think it would happen since I think most, if not all, the people who post here will be accepted somewhere if they haven't been already. At that point, I'm sure the anger against AMCAS will subside. However, if there was evidence that the AMCAS fiasco prevented some schools from receiving applications or delaying the process, thus preventing an interview and/or acceptance, then I guess you can argue a case. Also, think of what this year's application process has done to all us applicants in terms of "emotional damages". But again, I doubt it will happen...I just sometimes think that AMCAS should be held liable for implementing a system that wasn't tested, thus disrupting lives of thousands of applicants.

Well, look on the bright side, at least when we tell our children about walking 6 miles barefoot in the snow to school - uphill both ways, we at least have some backup!

Originally posted by jargon124:
•No one will sue. No one SHOULD sue.•••

Someone has already sued. I'm kind of amazed they found someone to take the case, because even though the case is good in theory, the monetary damages are so relatively small and difficult to prove, and the more important damage -- not getting in due to this year's mess -- almost impossible to prove. Bottom line is AMCAS eventually did what we paid them to do, they just did it slowly and chaotically. This topic was kicked around exhaustively early-on in the midst of the developing AMCAS fiasco, and the informed concensus was that a suit did not make sense. I personally consulted with an experienced class action attorney who said he would not take the case.

I personally would prefer to sue the md schools directly for mental anguish/pain & suffering... :mad:

Originally posted by alice:
•i missed the post that mentioned a class-action suit... i want in! •••

Alice,
here's the <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=006425" target="_blank">thread</a> with information on getting in on the suit. Although, in fact, we're all part of the class as it stands, and really don't have to do anything to be included. But you can relay your experiences to them which would help with the suit. I'm curious which school you figure you're so disadvantaged at. It seems to me that most schools are just pushing the interview season back, so although we're all frustrated, it's really not harming us.

SMW, just because monetary damages are small and damage is tricky to prove does not mean that a class action lawsuit can't be successful. I'm part of a class-action lawsuit against Pacific Bell because one customer had his DSL installation delayed several months like I did! If you can sue successfully over a $40 a month service that has many other competitors, I'm sure you can sue AMCAS and then some. It's about organization...we simply aren't in a position, with our acceptances on the line, to organize effectively to bring this case together.

Originally posted by SMW:

Someone has already sued. I'm kind of amazed they found someone to take the case, because even though the case is good in theory, the monetary damages are so relatively small and difficult to prove, and the more important damage -- not getting in due to this year's mess -- almost impossible to prove. Bottom line is AMCAS eventually did what we paid them to do, they just did it slowly and chaotically. This topic was kicked around exhaustively early-on in the midst of the developing AMCAS fiasco, and the informed concensus was that a suit did not make sense. I personally consulted with an experienced class action attorney who said he would not take the case.•••

SMW - I wasn't aware that anyone had filed suit, but if you say its so I believe you. I would just like to reiterate that, in my opinion, no one should be suing anyone right now. No one has grounds to sue AMCAS or the medical schools. They have each done their job, though it is taking more time than it should have. Come on, cut them some slack - they're working with a new system this year and we are the guinny pigs - maybe it's not fair that our year was the year that this happened, but that's not a reason to bring litigation. It's sad that we are in a culture where people's train of thought immediately goes there. Tort reform, though it will never happen (the crim lawyers' lobby is too strong), should be a priority on Capitol Hill. And keep in mind as I write this that I am a DEMOCRAT! :eek: :) Anyway people, good luck with your applications and hopefully EVERYONE is verified by now! :)

Originally posted by jargon124:
•SMW - I wasn't aware that anyone had filed suit, but if you say its so I believe you. I would just like to reiterate that, in my opinion, no one should be suing anyone right now. No one has grounds to sue AMCAS or the medical schools. They have each done their job, though it is taking more time than it should have. Come on, cut them some slack - they're working with a new system this year and we are the guinny pigs - maybe it's not fair that our year was the year that this happened, but that's not a reason to bring litigation. It's sad that we are in a culture where people's train of thought immediately goes there. Tort reform, though it will never happen (the crim lawyers' lobby is too strong), should be a priority on Capitol Hill. And keep in mind as I write this that I am a DEMOCRAT! :eek: :) Anyway people, good luck with your applications and hopefully EVERYONE is verified by now! :) •••

Would you cut them slack if AMCAS took four months to verify your application while it only took three weeks to verify others? Lets not fool ourselves by saying we are all in the same boat. The fact is many schools are on rolling admissions, the sooner you're verified the better your chances.