This is for all the lost souls who're waiting for CS result

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnlitt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm long time lurker here, took CS 2 months ago. I only studied 3 days for it. which comprises of cramping FA in the first day and go over the 40 long cases with my non-medical student friend in 2 days. I felt like **** after taking the test, especially the CIS part. I went home and read every step 2 cs stories on google, pass or fail, and it didn't help, just escalated my anxiety to the roof. Therefore I strongly do not recommend to do it. Mistakes I made:
CIS
1. Only counsel in like 4-5 cases, I didn't counsel about lifestyle/eating/exercising, only smoking and drinking. Missed counselling in 1 case that directly and strongly affecting the chief complain.
2. For get washing hand in my first case due to nervousness. In another case, touch some dirty object and didn't re-washing my hand after that. The SP did give me a weird look but I just decided not to wasting my time washing hand again. Idk why.
3. Forgot to pull out leg rest in 1 pt
4. everyone was draped so i don't know if i was supposed to do anything more.
5. Told a pt that there is probably nothing serious going on in the closure.
6. Made a couple of SP repeating things twice cause I didn't remember if I asked it or not.
7. use leading questions couple of times. literally putting words into their mouth like "so i guess this is 9/10 on the pain scale eh"
8. Not sure if I had adequate eyes contact or not.
10. didn't shake any pt hands.
11. A guy were coughing his lungs out but i didn't offer water
12. slipped my hands underneath the drape to palpate femoral pulses and sp looked very confused...
13. left every room 3 mins early
ICE
1. put 3ddx in every case. Some of them has very little supporting facts.
2. Didn't do ROS in any case, I only asked question relevant to CC and things that I think would be important to the case.
3. Messed up a few diagnostic test like ordering a pelvic exam for a guy....
4. my physical skill sucks, period.
5. missed tons of relevant questions for some of the CC.
what I did right
Solid introduction
Threw in some random line "i'm very sorry", "this must be very hard for you" here and there
Ask some of the sp if the cc affecting their life
Closed every cases, summarized, paraphrased, ask if there is any questions...
got all the FMH, SH, etc for every cases
Feel like I got all the ddx right.
Got my score report today. Passed with ICE in the higher performance, CIS is very close to the borderline range but hasn't touch it yet. Moral of the story: even though there is a very high chance that you'll pass this test, study for it seriously so you can save yourself a couple of months of nightmare wondering what if...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats man! great write up! taking this **** show next monday. going over the FA cases. god i cannot wait to be done with this and med school
So, I'm long time lurker here, took CS 2 months ago. I only studied 3 days for it. which comprises of cramping FA in the first day and go over the 40 long cases with my non-medical student friend in 2 days. I felt like **** after taking the test, especially the CIS part. I went home and read every step 2 cs stories on google, pass or fail, and it didn't help, just escalated my anxiety to the roof. Therefore I strongly do not recommend to do it. Mistakes I made:
CIS
1. Only counsel in like 4-5 cases, I didn't counsel about lifestyle/eating/exercising, only smoking and drinking. Missed counselling in 1 case that directly and strongly affecting the chief complain.
2. For get washing hand in my first case due to nervousness. In another case, touch some dirty object and didn't re-washing my hand after that. The SP did give me a weird look but I just decided not to wasting my time washing hand again. Idk why.
3. Forgot to pull out leg rest in 1 pt
4. everyone was draped so i don't know if i was supposed to do anything more.
5. Told a pt that there is probably nothing serious going on in the closure.
6. Made a couple of SP repeating things twice cause I didn't remember if I asked it or not.
7. use leading questions couple of times. literally putting words into their mouth like "so i guess this is 9/10 on the pain scale eh"
8. Not sure if I had adequate eyes contact or not.
10. didn't shake any pt hands.
11. A guy were coughing his lungs out but i didn't offer water
12. slipped my hands underneath the drape to palpate femoral pulses and sp looked very confused...
13. left every room 3 mins early
ICE
1. put 3ddx in every case. Some of them has very little supporting facts.
2. Didn't do ROS in any case, I only asked question relevant to CC and things that I think would be important to the case.
3. Messed up a few diagnostic test like ordering a pelvic exam for a guy....
4. my physical skill sucks, period.
5. missed tons of relevant questions for some of the CC.
what I did right
Solid introduction
Threw in some random line "i'm very sorry", "this must be very hard for you" here and there
Ask some of the sp if the cc affecting their life
Closed every cases, summarized, paraphrased, ask if there is any questions...
got all the FMH, SH, etc for every cases
Feel like I got all the ddx right.
Got my score report today. Passed with ICE in the higher performance, CIS is very close to the borderline range but hasn't touch it yet. Moral of the story: even though there is a very high chance that you'll pass this test, study for it seriously so you can save yourself a couple of months of nightmare wondering what if...