this is for all you ladies out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownyeyed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am in the process of buying a suit for upcoming interviews (hopefully), but i was just wondering what type of suit you wore to the interview? was it a pant or skirt suit? which one do you think is more professional? and did your suit have stripes or not? i cannot decide which would be best....for previous ladies that had gone to interviews, your input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO the fact that you're already going to be wearing a suit is good. Whether you choose pant/skirt, solid/pin stripe depends on whatever you like.

since fashion is a personal hobby of mine, ill take the liberty to answer first haha...i wore a gray pinstriped pantsuit to my interviews. i got it from this store called MNG Mango *shrugs* apparently its a spanish brand i believe? they have great suits there for petite figures, most other places i tried just swallowed my 5'1'' frame up entirely. i hope you're "normal" sized and not vertically deficient like me..it makes suit buying much easier.

at my interviews, there were probly an equal number of ppl in suits and ppl that threw together a business casual outfit and of the suits, an equal number of pants and skirts. as long as you know your boundaries, i think you'll be fine; just go with what you would feel most comfortable in..interviews are loooong marathons, comfort is more important than i can stress.

editorial aside, pants elongate and skirts give a certain feminine appeal ;P
REMEMBER. mini skirts and sequins are huge NO'S with red X's all over & a little cleavage never hurt anyone ;) (JUST KIDDING!!! PLEASE DONT SEND ME HATEMAIL FOR THAT)

Members don't see this ad :)
i am in the process of buying a suit for upcoming interviews (hopefully), but i was just wondering what type of suit you wore to the interview? was it a pant or skirt suit? which one do you think is more professional? and did your suit have stripes or not? i cannot decide which would be best....for previous ladies that had gone to interviews, your input is appreciated!

If you're about to go suit shopping-BEBE has these really cute and totally appropriate white suits with gold buttons that were put on clearance last week (I work there). We also have some more casual italian linen suits for half off.

If you're style is more trendy than classic we just got these super cute wide-leg gray pant suits with suspenders (yes, they are back!) and a trendy matching blazer, but those aren't on sale and will cost around $300 for the 2 pieces. This discussion is making me sad about my last week at bebe, no more employee discount :(

Ladies, how much are you willing to spend on a suit? I bought a Nine West pinstriped pantsuit last year for $85 at Macy's and thought it was a bargain! But unfortunately, I no longer like that anymore so I want to buy another one. It's so hard being a girl...so expensive too :p

**That's assuming that I do get interviews >_<**

As far as color or pant/skirt goes, do what feels right to you. As long as you look professional, the chioce is yours. You want to be cool and confident in your choice, so don't rush into the decision - visit many stores to see your options. Also, avoid uber-trendy pieces, because they always have an expiration date of a season, or generally at the most a year. If you invest a lot of money into this outfit, you want to get some use out of it... at CE events, networking, and interviews at graduation time. Last piece of advice is to make sure the suit FITS WELL!!! It doesn't matter how much you spent on it, where you bought it, skirt, pants, black, white, blue... if it doesn't fit, you'll look awful. A trip to the tailor (or if you are domestically gifted - DIY) is money well spent.

I wore my black suit from The Limited (I LOVE their suits!), and it was the pant version.

But, I threw a twist into it. I wore a nice crisp white button-up with a pink fall sweater from New York & Company. I had my jacket, but I only wore it at the beginning and once I got to the airport. You want to pick something that is comfortable, that you like wearing, and something that makes you feel confident.

Also, the black suit is very popular for interviews at SCO, and it gets tiring seeing all those black suits. When tour groups go by it looks like a funeral. So, if you want to stand out a tad from the norm, wear something with a little bit of color if you go the black suit route.

thanks for ur input ladies....i'm going shopping this weekend to pick it out (i'm probably go with the pant suit)....but since i am very picky about clothes, i'll probably go to a half-dozen department stores before i find the right one!

Hi ladies.

I just bought a black suit from the Limited (more than I wanted to spend, but oh well). I'm debating on whether I should go back and get one that is a grayish-brownish color. It's very pretty, and a little softer. I'm fair skinned, and I'm not sure if the black washes me out.

Also, what color shirt are you guys wearing? I have a white one (of course), a pale blue, and a really pretty green. I saw this awesome shirt at NY&C, a great pink color that works really well with my skin, but is the pink too much?

02392854_251

Thanks for your input!

Hi ladies.

I just bought a black suit from the Limited (more than I wanted to spend, but oh well). I'm debating on whether I should go back and get one that is a grayish-brownish color. It's very pretty, and a little softer. I'm fair skinned, and I'm not sure if the black washes me out.

Also, what color shirt are you guys wearing? I have a white one (of course), a pale blue, and a really pretty green. I saw this awesome shirt at NY&C, a great pink color that works really well with my skin, but is the pink too much?

02392854_251

Thanks for your input!

Ask for a few friend/family member opinions on the black suit. If you feel comfortable in it - that is all that matters. The grayish-brownish option is also perfectly acceptable, and may be even better because you'll probably be the one student of the day NOT in black!

That pink shirt will also work very well. A splash of color will really liven up the outfit and help you feel more like yourself. I say go for it!

I wore a cream/grey suit to my interviews and actually stood out because I was one of the few NOT in black. I also added a brighter color shirt (purple) underneath it to brighten it up.

keisler -- if the pink looks good on you and makes you feel more confident.. go for it ! it definitely looks professional enough. :) :luck:

I agree!
Wear what makes you feel confidant and also what makes you feel comfortable!

I love this question. Optom fashion! Who knew how important it could be. Some people know that I interviewed twice- once in 2002 and again in 2006. Anyway, I wore a suit for both. I am a skirt girl so for the warmer ones, I wore that, but for the March interview in a blizzard I did wear the pants- you want to look like you're not insane right??

Anyway, the reason I wanted to post to this topic is not because I am in need of a fashion fix but because what I saw between the two interviews amazed me so much. The first one was in Feb, so right in the middle of the applicant pool, and everyone was dressed very professionally in suits and ties. The second one, the girls really shocked me. No one was wearing jeans ( that I can think of) but none of them looked too spiffy/professional. That second one took place in April, when most of the class was filled. Interestingly, I didn't see anyone from my interview group when I entered school.

Moral of the story. Why chance it? Wear a suit. It doesn't have to be expensive. I got my first one and had it tailored (got in) and my second one in a going out of business sale, no tailoring (got in). Limited is great, though as Target's best customer, I know you can get something great there too. :laugh:

Oh, and as for shirts underneath...live it up! I went for a navy skirt/jacket and a bright turquoise shirt (black with purple the first time), and not only did I look good, but I felt great. The little things can still be personal, and they are important especially if they make you feel more confident.

I agree!
Wear what makes you feel confidant and also what makes you feel comfortable!

Just to let some of you know...the Limited is having a sale this weekend on their suit jackets and pants. I bought a very cute, professional suit today and I'm quite excited! $50 off of the suit jackets, and buy one get one 50% off of the pants. It could give you some versatility with a couple pieces. They also have cute button-up shirts (fun colors!) on sale for $22. I know the suit jackets are only on sale this weekend though...

It's always nice to save money where ever possible!

hi ladies,

I was wondering about bringing a purse to your interview! Here was my post:

My question is not so much the outfit, but is it appropriate to carry a purse/bag? i like having my "essentials" with me at all times, plus maybe some notes i could go over before the interview. i have a big black bag, its dressy, but im not sure if the size is too big, about 11" x 14". (it can fit notebooks/magazines). any advice? thanks!

Of course it's appropriate...you're a woman. Besides, what else would you do with your keys?

I brought a purse and a black expanding folio to mine.

For everyone, I wouldn't worry too much about the little things. I don't think anyone really notices. Just remember to use some common sense.

That mean NO HELLO KITTY! Sorry....:laugh: