this is from hell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
this waiting is continuing to kill me. why have i heard nothing? my mailbox has been virtually void of med school correspondence since the small postcards that i received MONTHS ago!! is anyone still in this boat of NO INTERVIEWS?? it is currently january 8 and i am starting to wonder if i should start studying for the april mcat, since it is looking like i may have to apply again. i cannot imagine a thought more hellish. can anyone relate? is there still hope?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first of all, that whole AMCAS debacle has put some schools behind. Even without a similar problem last year, some of my interviews were in Feb/March, and some schools interview as late as April or May as spots start opening up.

As far as retaking the MCAT...what were your scores? Are you sure that's what's standing between you and interviews? Maybe there's something else on your application that needs a little beefing up...just a thought.

penelope

EMT Girl,

I was in EXACTLY the same boat last month. I got just two interview since then and am waiting around to here (hopefull) something else. It is VERY tough to read this board, which is mostly filled with post-interview banter and "where should I go after being accepted" talk, at this point. Just try to remember that no rejections is a positive. Maybe you should give calling the schools a shot. I wouldn't hound them but a phone call might do wonders.
Personally I am still trying to get AMCAS to correct my GPA. If you believe it I filed a complaint after being verified at the end of November (submitted in July) and just TODAY they said, "Oh, you are right, we'll get right on that". The point is.....this is not a normal year. I am sure you will get some good news soon! Best of luck!

Olsen

Members don't see this ad :)
I have only received one interview so far (and it is not until the end of the February). I took the April MCAT, submitted AMCAS on July 6, and all secondaries as soon as I received them. The waiting is indeed becoming painful. My application has been complete at my "safety" schools for many, many, months and I have yet to hear anything.

Hey girl,
I'm with ya. Even though I've gotten interviews, I haven't gotten any acceptances and it has been many weeks since most of my interviews. So once you do start getting interviews (and don't worry it's still early) there's even more waiting to do. Schools interview the most competitive applicants first, so if you have lower stats, then you have to wait longer than others to recieve interviews.

Besides being patient, make sure that you have taken care of everything that you can control. Is your app complete at every school you applied to? If you don't know, call the school. If something's missing (ie a verified AMCAS, letter etc.), get on it right away. Good luck.

Just to ease your mind about what serpiente said about schools interviewing the most competitive applicants first, let me add that while I think this is a policy that many schools would probably like to adhere to, many applicants slip through the cracks. Oftentimes the decision to interview or not depends on when a certain faculty member, the one with your application, decides to turn in his/her review. Just to underscore the randomness of the whole application process, I've received interviews very early from some schools and very late from other schools, all of which were in the same range of competitiveness.

Oh, and whether you should worry or not depends on how many schools to which you applied. If you applied to one school, don't worry too much. If you applied to 125 schools, then start to worry...

Hi,
Keep your chin up!!!
Did you know that you can call the schools and ask to verify your status. Most schools do not mind. I called Ohio State and she said I was coming up for review for possible interview this month. That ended my wondering about it in 3 short minutes.

They can generally tell you based on your stats when your file will be reviewed.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

EMTgirl, I totally am with you on this one. i have not received any interviews either. i took the august mcat but handed my stuff in relatively early. it really does suck but i really think its important to keep in mind that it is still early, especially with all the amcas screw ups.

just think, by march 15th, or same date around then, all schools have to send out a number of acceptances equal to the amount of seats they have avaliable....but they will accept twice or even three times that amount by may or june.

hang in there!

thanks so much for the support guys. and wouldn't you know it, i got my first interview invite today, and it's for next week! now i will just have something else to stress out about, but at least it's one step closer to hopefully getting in. hang in there everyone!!