This is going to be one stupid question but......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachdude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmm...this will sound really stupid but I just want to double check something...

I just finished my second year in university and will be applying to med schools this summer....although I technically havent had 3 yrs of undergrad, I will be "when/if?" i get accepted right? So in other words, Im eligible to apply right?

Secondly, it seems that many schools have an English requirement...I dont have that right now but if I take that in my 3rd year, they will take it into consideration?

Thanks so much for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Yes and yes.

ACK! Samoa is right! Definitely! I thought the OP would have a bachelor's and would just complete it in three years! I'm now guessing that's probably not the case. Do NOT apply if you won't have a bachelor's when you enter! It's a total waste of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I not only agree with the above posters, but applying after only two years of undergrad coursework and extracurricular experiences can only limit how much you show them. Giving yourself another year would probably help your application a LOT. Besides, what's the rush? Is your name Doogie or something? :wink:

don't most schools have a minimum semester hour requirement? if they do, the OP probably doesn't meet it. if he/she does, isn't it possible to apply to only schools that offer unconditional deferrment, get in, defer and finish the degree in that year "off"? i agree with everyone else that this isn't the best thing to do, but it may be possible. maybe.

Judging from his language, I think the OP is Canadian, in which case Canadian schools do not discriminate much between those who have 90 credits and those who have a degree. So apply away (to Canadian schools). Correct me if I'm wrong, however.

if i'm not mistaken, the 90-hour/3-yr requirement is a prerequisite to apply to med school, not a prereq to matriculate. the assumption is that you finish your bachelors during the year that you apply, so that your degree is finished by the time you are ready to start med school. this means that no, you are not eligible to apply yet, yet alone matriculate. and you won't get into med school without finishing college--some schools state that they will take a small number of people who don't finish college, but i have never actually heard of this happening (have any of you?) and you need to imagine how absolutely stellar an applicant must be to beat out thousands of people who HAVE finished college (which is what is preferred).

prereq courses taken during the year you apply are taken into consideration--schools ask for a final transcript when you are accepted.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sandflea:
•if i'm not mistaken, the 90-hour/3-yr requyou won't get into med school without finishing college--some schools state that they will take a small number of people who don't finish college, but i have never actually heard of this happening (have any of you?)•••••I've heard of a total of ONE person doing this - and this was a few years ago. As far as I know, nearly EVERY school in the country requires a bachelor's degree for matriculation at this point. I suppose that if you had really compelling circumstances, they would consider otherwise, but this is NOT the norm by any means.

I know many students who routinely get in WITHOUT a bachelor's degree IN CANADA. If the OP is from Canada (which I suspect from his post) then applying to Canadian schools with only two years undergrad is completely OK. As stated above however, almost all US schools require a degree.

Hi Moo,

Actually yes I am Canadian....(how you got that from my language is quite interesting =)

The reason why I'm asking is that I had a friend who got into Stanford University, yes Stanford and he was in his thrid year when he applied. Actually, it was this year that he got in....as of now, he is going to Stanford with 3 years of undergrad...

At my university, most people get a Bacholers of Sci Honours, which is a 4 years. However, if you do get into meds after 3 years, you can swtich and get a Bachlores of Sci General Degree, which is a 3 year degree....So in short, he got into Stanford with a 3 year B.Sc General Degree...

Although it is rare, its definitly possible I believe.....The guy had good stats though.

Whats interesting about the AMCAS is that for Canadian med schools like Uni. of Toronto, >90% is equivalent to 4.0 GPA. But according to AMCAS, >87% is a 4.0 GPA, so I guess that guy who got into Stanford had a huge advantage (in terms of GPA only that is :) )