This is incredible...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RetroX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
post deleted. forget it... pretend I didn't say anything.

Members don't see this ad.

RetroX said:
I am at a top 20 school (can't reveal which school), and I am currently conducting clinical research with a Rad Oncologist who happens to be on the admissions committee last year... I was told that the school received 500 applications for one spot last year, and they screen the application by whether or not you have a PhD. In another words, they look at 1. PhD?; 2. Number of publications and where they are published; 3. Step I Score; 4. Reputation of your med school. I was told that without a PhD, your grades, Step I scores, and recommendations made no difference, and they only interviewed people with PhD last year. And of the interviewees, many had Cell, Science, Nature, type of top papers to go with their PhD. This field is getting crazy.

The only place I know that is that selective is Vanderbilt (one position last year and looking only for MD PhDs). Fortunately most programs are not that way. Generally they fill their slots with 1/2 MDs and 1/2 MD PhDs while some more clinical programs don't even like people with PhDs. It's a wide range. But you are right, competition is stiff and a PhD generally gives you an edge (esp if you have very good pubs) to get an interview.

I suppose you created a new account just to post this?

RetroX
PostsTotal Posts: 1 (1 posts per day)

I doubt the credibility of the information in the opening post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idiopathic said:
I doubt 500 people apply to RadOnc.
Agreed. That's like 4 per allopathic school.

its not all about allopathic schools. people in other residency programs (IM, ENT, surgery, radiology), people who have finished residencies, FMG's all ahve to be figured into the mix. i wouldnt say 500 is out of question....though it does seem a tad high.

i am in vegas right now and would put money on it not being 500 for any given program. 200-300 at max.