this is just damn sad. obgyn quits to become jewelry repairer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr McSteamy

sh*tting in your backyard
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
isn't a really high malpractice insurance rate an issue with OB/GYN especially?

regardless, it is a sad article that reflects the unfortunate state some specialties have reached

we just seem greedy to the average american but they need to be reminded of what we have to go through and the debt that we incur. then they wont be so quick to judge. shift the "money hungry" mentality from doctors to insurance companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's nice to see an article that covers the other side of the story. However, I think it is overblown. The OBGYN's I know are doing fine, and the dermatologists I know are doing evern better. Having said that, I think salaries should not go down. Where they are is fine. If they go up, even better.

Every time that the word "salary" is thrown around I :barf:

Seriously though -- everyone knows that I am derm... and I happen to be intimately familiar with the Ob environment. They are horribly compensated for the risk, stress, and lifestyle costs incurred. I can see why any and every one of them would be looking for an exit. "Because you love it" may sound like a good reason at 25... it's something completely different at 35 with two children.

The dermatologist in the article only pays $2500/yr in malpractice?? That sounds low, no? MOHS, perhaps you can comment on this one. If that's true, I'm not sure anyone could consider it excessive.

At least he's still working with things that women consider very valuable...

The dermatologist in the article only pays $2500/yr in malpractice?? That sounds low, no? MOHS, perhaps you can comment on this one. If that's true, I'm not sure anyone could consider it excessive.

Sounds about right. In derm there really isn't that much that can happen that would seriously hurt or kill someone. I'm pretty sure they have one of the lowest malpractice rates of any specialty. Derm also has to have one of the biggest mismatches between risk/responsibilty and compensation. No wonder it's so competitive. Is there anything good about OB/gyn?

The only good thing about obgyn is the great satisfaction of bringing new life into the world on a regular basis. But, I would definitely say it is to a significant extent a self-sacrifical career choice. It will always be a necessary field, so I predict you will never see salaries lower than they are now. Let's not forget, only about 100 years ago childbirth was the leading cause of death among women. It's not exactly an easy, low consequence process.

Boo freaking hoo.

Could care less about a pathetic doctor who can't handle the pressures of medicine.

Love doctors whining about their lack of pay and "poor" job security. Comical

Tibor,

You need to pay a visit to a mental health professional, as you are clearly undermedicated. All of this internal anger and angst cannot be healthy.

Mohs

Tibor,

You need to pay a visit to a mental health professional, as you are clearly undermedicated. All of this internal anger and angst cannot be healthy.

Mohs

Just wait until meister gets in here...