This is my life, Help me decide.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poolie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends!

My Stats:

Illinois Resident (Northern Illinois)

cGPA: 3.52
sGPA:3.26
(Upward trend)

MCAT: (Will take June 17th) tentative 30

Graduated in 3 years, Bachelors in Chemistry. Studied abroad twice. First general studies in Ireland first semester freshman year, then a second semester in Ecuador shadowing doctors and attending a class at the medical school there.

ECs: Choir, Lots of Church involvement. Several jobs: Chem Lab, nursing home, restaurant, office, etc.

120+ hours doctor shadowing (In Ecuador) (Working on getting more here and with some DO docs.)

No volunteer work, but should be volunteering at the hospital and local soup kitchen this summer.

Interested in general medicine for sure and will also be applying for the NHSC scholarship.

Really Like:

University of Illinois
Southern Illinois (though I've heard they only admit southerners)

Possibly:

Mayo (My dream!)
DMU
CCOM

Also Looking at:

DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
William Carey University
Medical Colege of Wisconsin
St. Louis University
Creighton University
Wake Forest
University of Rochester
Tufts
Temple
Loyola
Rush
Drexel
Jefferson Medical College
NY Medical
Rosalind Franklin
Albany Medical College
Tulane
Eastern Virginia Medical School
UNECOM
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
LECOM

Sorry, that's a lot... Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Also I only want to apply to like 5 schools. I can't afford any more.

If you want a reasonable chance at US allopathic med schools, I think you're rushing into an application season too quickly.

You have only one semester in Equador of clinical experience + the time you worked in a nursing home, I'm guessing maybe for a summer.

You have no US physician shadowing. You have no local community service. You have no research. You have no leadership or teaching (maybe the chem lab job involved this, though?)

With one year of upper-level science classes at a local, cheap college you could raise your BCPM and establish/maintain an upward trend.

With one more year, you'd have a solid year of nonmedical community service, US medical experience and shadowing, and possibly a volunteer or for-credit research activity. And more time to study for the MCAT to ensure the best possible score.