This is probably a really stupid question, but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruins2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For 2 summers in high school, I volunteered in 2 separate physical therapy clinics (one was part of the hospital system; the other was part of a private practice group) and did have some interaction with rehab physicians. Can I put this on the AMCAS, even though it was during high school?

Members don't see this ad.

The general rule is that nobody cares about high school. Seriously, nobody gives a crap about high school. However, if you began a volunteer experience in high school, which continued in college, then mention it or at least mention the time frame. Otherwise, you look like a complete dork if you are using high school to try to bolster your application. Experiences in high school will not get you admitted to med school. So forget high school. You had some pimples, perhaps you went to the prom and got excited about some girl or some guy, drank some beer and puked in your parents car, who cares.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I took a year off from the volunteer work because of health issues, but will be volunteering again this fall...but in the ER.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I took a year off from the volunteer work because of health issues, but will be volunteering again this fall...but in the ER.

Well, are you still in high school or are you in college now? Sorry about the health issue, hopefully you are ok now. If you are still in high school, just hit the ground running your freshman year of college, keep your grades high and work hard, but have some fun. Don't be a premed grind. That is no way to live. I did not start my volunteer and clinical experience until after I graduated from college, so you have plenty of time to build a solid application.

Good luck.