This is so discouraging.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemcat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm set up for failure. Everytime I finish studying a particular section for the mcat, and feel like I have a decent understanding of it, I start doing practice problems only to realize I don't know much at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I'm set up for failure. Everytime I finish studying a particular section for the mcat, and feel like I have a decent understanding of it, I start doing practice problems only to realize I don't know much at all.

Kinda makes you want to change your screen name? :D I know how you feel. It can be intimidating. The more work you put into reviewing the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong the more you will find out why you missed them. It is good to realize where you aren't truly understanding the material now instead of test day. Stick with it and you will only get better over time.

hahah yeah, i don't love mcat. i 'get' the lecture material and then bam, i realize i either don't know how to apply it or i didn't understand something in reality... add in the times i misread something or interpret a definition wrong, etc, and you get pretty dismal post lecture problem sets :( i am hoping repetition will bring some of this stuff back to me!

that's what the problems are there for, to test and build your knowledge. try to approach it like you won't know it until you do the problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
same thing happens to most people, just keep plugging away, after a while something should start clicking.

No point in getting discouraged... we all have been there

look at it from the bright side: you miss questions now, you know what to study for, you study, you don't miss questions on the real thing... :)

are you having more problems with the BS or the PS? what study material are you using?... maybe your study books do not explain things in a way that works for you... try to read on the same topics in another book and see if you understand them better... I was using TPR for physics review but, after missing many problems on a given topic (thermodynamics anyone?) , I had to go back and read full chapters in my undergrad physics books to understand them better... maybe similar situation with you...

best of luck

No point in getting discouraged... we all have been there

look at it from the bright side: you miss questions now, you know what to study for, you study, you don't miss questions on the real thing... :)

are you having more problems with the BS or the PS? what study material are you using?... maybe your study books do not explain things in a way that works for you... try to read on the same topics in another book and see if you understand them better... I was using TPR for physics review but, after missing many problems on a given topic (thermodynamics anyone?) , I had to go back and read full chapters in my undergrad physics books to understand them better... maybe similar situation with you...

best of luck

Thermo is cake, its the electricity/magnetism that I do terrible on. I don't really know why, I aced physics 2, but apparently taking the class years ago and not using the material at all lets you forget it. I have re-read that chapter in my physics book but I don't know if it helped, I might have to do it again :(

Oh I had this problem, but I fixed it :)

Here's what you do, lets say you read and take notes on a chapter about Kinetic Energy and momentum. Now leave a page in your notebook after your last notes on the chapter. Label this page "FINAL NOTES" and proceed with the practice problems.

You get a question wrong? Write down what you messed up on. Like if your forgot about applying wind resistance write "conservation of momentum DOESNT INCLUDE RESISTANCE". etc, etc.

Sounds kinda silly but it works. A section of practical, test question related notes to supplement your acdemic notes on the section. Everytime you review that subject and get a question wrong, explain what you did wrong on the FINAL NOTES page for that particular chapter. After enough practice questions, everything that you could mess up will be listed on that page. Memorize those final notes and you will be solid :D

Here's what you do, lets say you read and take notes on a chapter about Kinetic Energy and momentum. Now leave a page in your notebook after your last notes on the chapter. Label this page "FINAL NOTES" and proceed with the practice problems.

You get a question wrong? Write down what you messed up on. Like if your forgot about applying wind resistance write "conservation of momentum DOESNT INCLUDE RESISTANCE". etc, etc.

Sounds kinda silly but it works. A section of practical, test question related notes to supplement your acdemic notes on the section. Everytime you review that subject and get a question wrong, explain what you did wrong on the FINAL NOTES page for that particular chapter. After enough practice questions, everything that you could mess up will be listed on that page. Memorize those final notes and you will be solid :D

This is a good suggestion. Even if you don't come back to look at these but maybe once, simply writing it down and making it seem important will do wonders for your memory. Good luck and keep your head up! :thumbup:

That's what happens to me every time, and not just for the MCAT! Doing the problems allow you to identify your weak areas, and you'll always have them no matter how hard you study the material. Don't get discouraged, just keep doing problems and go back and study the questions you get wrong, make sure you absolutely understand it, and you'll see improvements.

that's a GREAT idea. very impressive.