1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

This is so sad!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Janny, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Janny

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey everybody, just wanted to cry a little. Unfortunately I applied late in the season and now find myself WL'd or rejected everywhere except one school I will be interviewing at on Thurs. I am not sure what to do, I know I ought think about reapplying, but that makes me sad:scared: because I have stressed out enough this year! Also I am finishing up a grad degree (part of the reason I applied so late), I think even if I applied more broadly this year I don't think I would have had the time to go on more interviews :( Oh well, I gave it a shot, and technically I'm not out of the game yet. I just don't want to get my hopes sky high. Thanks to everyone on SDN for the support and encouragement during this strenuous and nerve wracking process:love:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vano

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you really want to do medicine you'll apply again, but hopefully you wouldn't have to and you can get in this cycle. Good luck

4. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Don't be discouraged Janny. Applying late in the cycle is a main reason for many that haven't gotten in before. The next year when they applied early, the had alot of success. If it doesn't work out this year, just use the year to truly make your application better (if possible). Do something that you love and you won't have time for once med school starts. But don't be discouraged because you aren't alone, and if it just means that you are delayed one year, its better than not getting in at all. Be encouraged!!!

5. Steve203

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Don't give up Janny, if this is what you really want to do, address some of the weaknesses on your application and re-apply early. Hopefully you saved most of your essays and now you know how the game works...I would definitely give it another shot if I were you. I know how you feel though..I was a re-applicant....twice!

6. nickthemaestro

Don't worry Janny, I'm in the same sitatuation. You have friends :p

7. OncoCaP

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Think of it as working on those stress coping skills for medical school! Do your best at this interview and one admission is all you need.:luck:

8. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey, if it makes you feel better I still have no acceptances either and I applied late too. So...you're not the only one who's worried about having to apply again.

For what it's worth though, apparently a lot of people who become doctors didn't get in the first time. And the doctor I was talking to said she ended up being chief resident anyway, and her friend (who was also a reapplicant) is doing a cardiology fellowship at Mass General. So...it doesn't mean that you're not going to be a great doctor someday anyways, even if you don't get in this cycle.

Of course, I'd still rather get in this cycle :laugh:

9. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey, if it makes you feel better I still have no acceptances either and I applied late too. So...you're not the only one who's worried about having to apply again.

For what it's worth though, apparently a lot of people who become doctors didn't get in the first time. And the doctor I was talking to said she ended up being chief resident anyway, and her friend (who was also a reapplicant) is doing a cardiology fellowship at Mass General. So...it doesn't mean that you're not going to be a great doctor someday anyways, even if you don't get in this cycle.

Of course, I'd still rather get in this cycle :laugh:

10. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    That story was so touching that it was worth a double post eh Cirrus? ;)

11. meah

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm in the same boat - 4 waitlists...with a final interview tomorrow. Late application, non-traditional applicant, and sub 3.5 GPA. I think the late-ness is what's killing me. Somehow, the seriousness of the term "rolling admissions" escaped me.

12. Mastac741

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    IT's OK, you'll always have a job in the fast food business....

13. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    One more year isn't the end of the world! I read somewhere that 50% of applicants don't get in each year, and 1/3 of applicant pool is re-applicants each year. You're not the only one in that boat. Don't give up!

14. DrBubbles

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No worries, Janny! I'm in the same boat: 3 waitlists, waiting to hear from one school, and an interview on Thursday as well. (It's not at Drexel, by chance, is it?) I am also finishing up a graduate degree next month. And I'm on my second time around, and looking at a third round. At this point, bring it on! Reapplying is totally doable, and you'll have a graduate degree, which makes you a much more amazing candidate, and you can apply early. And you can use this next year to do whatever you like until you settle into your career for the next three or four decades. So don't worry, good luck getting in this year. And if you don't, and you apply early, you'll likely be accepted somewhere by the end of 2007.

15. Steve203

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

what does this have to do with anything?

16. droberge

droberge Admission or Bust
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am in the exact same situation you are... I am finishing a graduate degree in public health this spring and am waitlisted or rejected at every school I applied. Finishing a thesis and classes this year made me only able to attend a handful of interviews... that may end up costing me a year. Hopefully one waitlist school will come through for me and I will not have to go through this costly nightmare again! It is hell!

17. H_Caulfield

H_Caulfield Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmm... I'd say SO SAD is something of a relative phrase. Funny that you posted last night, in the midst of national 33-people-shot-and-killed headlines. In reference to that situation, shouldn't your situation be downgraded to "sort of sad," or at least something along those more menial lines? Sucks for you, though, having your spotlight stolen and all.

If you'd been an ideal student and still been rejected everywhere, well, then I guess maybe I'd actually consider it "so sad." Look on the bright side!!! ... Someone more qualified than you was accepted and is probably pretty happy right now. Just think of that person when you're fighting back those tears.

18. mintendo

5+ Year Member

Five years from now, you can either be:

1) wondering what would have happened had you replied to medical school.

2) graduating from med school, holding a MD and a graduate degree, and think to yourself, "I'm pretty bad a$$"

19. mintendo

5+ Year Member

20. vixen26

2+ Year Member

..... harsh:thumbdown:

21. JesusISourLORD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    At least you got an interview. Also, you never know youmight come off the waitlist :luck:

22. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :beat: (me = smiley, H_Caulfield = fly infested dead horse)

Keep your head up, Janny! The game's not over yet!

23. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    funny, when I saw this title I was sure it was about the VA Tech tragedy; that sort of puts everything in perspective. :(

24. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In reality, the US likes to blow things out of portion for our own public interest. I'm actually quite devastated by the atrocities in Darfur right now. There have been FAR MORE than 33 deaths in Darfur, and a good portion of them have been babies. I've seen pictures of babies being thrown into fires. It's ridiculous. So, objectively, yes what happened at VA Tech is a terrible tragedy, but if you wanna look at the bigger scheme of things then perhaps you should think about Rwanda or Darfur.

25. Steve203

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    wow...I'd hate to be your patient

26. geogil

geogil Still training.
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ok, just for my own curiosity, why are we posting about Darfur and abortion? the topic at hand is medical school applications, yes? OP, buck up. Some folks only need one interview to get in, and you might be one. Look up the posts by the use 'itonlytakesone' who, if I remember right, only applied to one medical school and was accepted.

Since this interview is so important, be sure you have good answers to the questioons in the interview feedback.
    :luck: :luck:

27. SalseraDoctora

SalseraDoctora Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student

Wow I hope this guy goes into pathology.

28. foofish

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So did I....