This is where I am at

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted925364

Hi everyone hope everyone is doing well, I appreciate you taking the time to read about my situation and I value your input.

I am currently technically a senior with 85 credits, according to my school I am an upper junior.

Unfortunately I made a lot of mistakes, (bad studying habits, asking for an F, and so forth.)

My dream is to become a physician and intend on fighting through, but unfortunately life throws curve balls and we all need some type of back up plan. Luckily podiatry is my first back up plan.

I find the field very interesting and see a great future for it, just wanted to know what others believe? Is there a future for podiatry?

This is where I am at as far as my science courses;

Bio 1 C-/ Bio 2 C
Chem 1 F(was told by my advisor to take the the F and replace it won't appear on my transcript ) Chem 2 C
Physics 1 A- / Physics 2 B+
Micro Bio B- / Enrolled in lab but had two of my grandparents admitted in the same hospital, at the exact same time, so I withdrew.
Science Research Course Affiliated with a SUNY during high school A-, I also performed my research at a symposium at my high school for this course, not sure if this makes a difference.
Field Studies in Botany : B

My currents stats; 2.4 sGPA, cGPA according to my school 3.01, and 2.84 accounting for the F that I received

My plan is to delay my graduation by a 5th year to take more science courses to raise my sGPA to at-least a 3.0, and my cGPA a little over a 3.0

By doing this I plan on taking Orgo 1, Orgo Lab, Neuro Bio, Micro Lab, and Lifespan Psych (Pre Req for nursing as backup),

I also intend on taking Orgo 2, Evolution, Genetics, 2 More Bio electives in order to receive my degree in biology
I also plan on taking Psych Stats, Sociology, Anatomy 1, Anatomy 2, Bio Chemistry, Bio 1 (again), and possibly another elective or two from @Goro reinvention guide.

Technically I will only be delaying my graduation by a semester, one semester would be a 15 credit or so post-bacc as a non degree student.

Just wanted to know if this makes sense? Please keep in mind I am taking the Psych Stats, and Sociology as a pre req for nursing as a back up plan.

I have some volunteer hours at a pediatric emergency room and intend on going back, I have shadowed a pediatrician as well (DO) and was able to get a letter of recommendation, and intend on following a (MD) pediatrician.

In the case of applying to podiatry school I intend on shadowing a podiatrist of course

I plan on volunteering at my nearest soup kitchen, and or house of worship. I also am debating whether or not it makes sense to receive an EMT certification or CPR certification (would really appreciate advice on whether I should go for it or not).

I also have an opportunity to do research with my psychology professor, I wanted to know what podiatry schools think about doing research on Psychology.

Also wanted to know if podiatry schools will weigh all these classes more then my past, it will be about 45-50 credits or so. I am also nervous if I am shy of a 3.0 sGPA will it still be possible?

What will I need to get into podiatry school with a strong upward trend?

I think this is everything I needed to mention, I know it is hard based to judge without an MCAT which I intend to take a prep course for and really study hard for but I would really appreciate some insight and advice. I thank you in advance for your input and time for reading.

Also first generation student, and grew up financially disadvantaged.

PS: I also have a W in Calc 1 but replaced it w a B-, just wanted to mention.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get your GPAs to 3.1-3.2 and get around 495+ on the MCAT, then you may have a shot at a Podiatry program. Based on your current GPAs, you are not ready for medical school, so as per your plan, take higher-level science classes and get those GPAs up.

MCAT Prep course: as long as you have taken all the premed courses and courses that are tested on the exam; imo those prep courses are useless. Pick one companies books and just do a bunch of questions and all of the AAMC qbanks and full-length exams. Read in the MCAT forum to gain more insight in preparing for the exam.

When you get the minimum requirement stats, asks us again at that point. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If you can get your GPAs to 3.1-3.2 and get around 495+ on the MCAT, then you may have a shot at a Podiatry program. Based on your current GPAs, you are not ready for medical school, so as per your plan, take higher-level science classes and get those GPAs up.

MCAT Prep course: as long as you have taken all the premed courses and courses that are tested on the exam; imo those prep courses are useless. Pick one companies books and just do a bunch of questions and all of the AAMC qbanks and full-length exams. Read in the MCAT forum to gain more insight in preparing for the exam.

When you get the minimum requirement stats, asks us again at that point. Good luck!
What if someone is shy of a 3.0 sGPA, did better on his last 50 or so credits and scored at least a 500 on his MCATS, would that be sufficient for podiatry schools?

What if someone is shy of a 3.0 sGPA, did better on his last 50 or so credits and scored at least a 500 on his MCATS, would that be sufficient for podiatry schools?

It might be but that depends on the school and time you apply. This past cycle the number of ppl applying to Pod programs increased so that only ups the competition in the selection process; so applying early will be key.

You may also want to look into BMS programs that are affiliated with either a Pod or MD/DO schools.
Such as: Biomedical Sciences, MS : College of Nursing and Health Sciences : Barry University, Miami Shores, Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.