Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

This isn't going to work out, is it.....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LucidSplash, Nov 29, 2005.

1. LucidSplash

LucidSplash Bloody Plumber
    Physician Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ok, I'm feeling a bit anxious (that's actually a bit of an understatement) regarding my chances of being accepted this year. Here's my specifics (this is long, sorry):

I'm 24, female, caucasian, and graduated in 2003 with a degree in biochemistry/molecular biology and a minor in anthropology. I took the MCATs for the 1st time in August 2001 (VR11, BS9, PS9, WR). Ended up not applying to med school right out of college. Got married in August 2003. Since December 2003, have worked at a biotech in Gaithersburg, MD, as a toxicology associate helping to run preclinical toxicology studies.

I applied last year, but only to my state school. My MCATs were old, and it was one of few schools that would take them. Since my state school is really my top choice, I figured "why not apply and see what happens. Either I'll get in and not have to worry about retaking the MCATs or I'll have to retake them and apply next year anyway." Unfortunately, I got my application in a bit latter in the cycle that I probably ought to have. I interviewed in February, was waitlisted in the 2nd of a 3 tier waitlist, and never got off. My prehealth advisor from college spoke with them, and they told her they were put off by the fact that I only applied to their school and that I should take the MCATs again.

Retook the MCATs in August 2005, here are my current stats:

MCAT Score: VR 13, PS 9, BS 10, S
    BCPM GPA: 3.19
    Overall GPA: 3.39

This year, I didn't get my AMCAS in until 9/19; was processed on 9/28. The submission dates for my secondaries are in my mdapplicants profile, if anyone is interested. However, those dates are pretty much irrelevant, given that my LOR from my college's prehealth committee didn't go out until 11/4, after all my secondaries had been submitted.

Random ECs:
    One summer doing research, one summer as a nursing attendant at a rehabilitation hospital. Shadowing experiences, community service, varsity crew team (coxswain), taekwondo club (treasurer, president).

Random other stuff:
    Lower GPA second semester freshman year due to emergency appendectomy and recovery that kept me out of classes 2.5 weeks at the beginning of the semester. C- in physical chemistry my junior year (I hate hate hate this subject. Also, had some issues with my coach at the time that prevented me from getting as much extra help as I might have gotten). Ignoring the C-, there is a good general upswing in my GPA over the 4 years. My senior year I had an overall GPA of 3.58 and BCPM of 3.46. I know these aren't spectacular but I feel the upswing truly reflects an increased ability to study well. Looking back, I don't think I can say that I actually learned how to read a textbook and get anything out of it until the end of my sophomore year.

Generally overcommitted with extracurriculars/jobs during first three years of college, which also affected grades somewhat. Took A&P following graduation to increase qualifications at work and received a promotion; A in A&P. I have the highest recommendation rating from the prehealth committee and great LOR, both from when I was in college and from my work now.

So I guess the overall question is, how is the LOR getting out so late (and the later secondary submissions) going to hurt me? I'm really very concerned that even if I get interviews at this point, I will be so late (again) that I will be waitlisted and never get off, like last year.

Am I overreacting? Is it too soon to be this worried? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Lateness does reduce your chances somewhat, especially if you missed deadlines for some of the schools you applied to. If you were late last year and didn't get in, why didn't you turn your stuff in early this year?????

Your application looks good, though your gpa is not competitive. Turning in your stuff early might have made a difference. What kinds of schools did you apply to? Are your stats similar to the stats of the average matriculant at those schools?

Don't give up yet! There are still 3 more months of interviews & interview invitations that haven't been sent.

If you don't get in this year, try taking some more classes to boost your gpa, do some research, and submit your application EDP to your local school, if you can. Otherwise, submit your stuff the first week of AMCAS for the new cycle. It shows that you are serious & are not a slacker or procrastinator.
    :luck:

3. Labslave

Labslave Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The OP has an MDapps profile.

4. Labslave

Labslave Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I personally think you're overreacting a bit much, but it's not too soon to start taking action. Have you thought about sending a letter of interest to UMD? It certainly couldn't hurt your application and Dr. Foxwell is generally a cool guy with this kind of thing...

As for your chances in the admissions process, your late application will hurt you some, but from your post it looks like you already knew that. I don't think you should focus on this, but rather on how you can improve your chances from here on out. The big disadvantage to applying late is that it's harder for your application to stand out. I think a letter of intent might help them pay a little more attention to your application at UMD.

As for the other schools, only time will tell.

Good luck!

5. LucidSplash

Fellow [Any Field]
    I did not miss any application deadlines, so I am not concerned on that account.

I did not turn my AMCAS application in earlier than September this year because I was taking a Kaplan MCAT course/studying for the MCAT, working 40+ hours a week at my job, my 15-year old sister was visiting (things are not great at home - never have been really - and I wanted to get her away from it for awhile), was working on some things at work that were submitted to conferences, and my best friend got married in August (the day before the MCATs actually) and I was a bridesmaid and involved in the wedding planning and bridal shower stuff. I had the bulk of the AMCAS done throughout the summer, but did not find the time to put the polish on my PS until after the MCATs were over. Oh, and my commute to work is around 1 hour 1-way.

If I don't get in this year, classes are an option, though research is not given my full-time position. I did do research in undergrad. Also, it was recommended that I NOT apply EDP to my state school.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. LucidSplash

Fellow [Any Field]
    Well, I just got an interview invite from USUHS in my email.

My mother used to say that lighting a cigarette was a sure-fire way to make the bus you are waiting for arrive.

I wonder if posting on SDN is like that.

7. LucidSplash

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yes, I have already begun drafting a LOI and the pre-health advisor at my undergrad is planning on calling UMD for me later this week to reinforce to them that they are my top choice.

8. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats on the invite! Your're half-way there.

9. Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :laugh: congrats on the first interview. Best of luck with Maryland! :thumbup: