This just isn't working (AAMC Review)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlamJam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I've heard it from MCAT gurus that it's imperative to review all questions of an AAMC FL after completion. Well, I do this and IT'S NOT WORKING! I know we say that after so many "reviews" one can begin to have an "MCAT intuition" that may lead to higher scores.

The problem I'm having is when I review I think "oh yea now I see what I did wrong there," but the next aamc test just brings it's own set of unique fubar's. I'm not learning from the review (especially in VR).

I have the MCAT in one week and my AAMC scores are declining...

My test endurance seems fine. I finish each section with several minutes to spare. I just don't know how I'm not scoring higher than mid-twenties. I just don't know!

What are some specific things that one should be learing from reviewing these tests? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

I've heard it from MCAT gurus that it's imperative to review all questions of an AAMC FL after completion. Well, I do this and IT'S NOT WORKING! I know we say that after so many "reviews" one can begin to have an "MCAT intuition" that may lead to higher scores.

The problem I'm having is when I review I think "oh yea now I see what I did wrong there," but the next aamc test just brings it's own set of unique fubar's. I'm not learning from the review (especially in VR).

My test endurance seems fine. I finish each section with several minutes to spare. I just don't know how I'm not scoring higher than mid-twenties. I just don't know!

What are some specific things that one should be learing from reviewing these tests? :confused:

Maybe you are lacking in content review?

Hey

you might need to do more content review. for bio, i got a 9, 11, and then a 10 on the first 3 tests and then started getting 14 and 13s and i think understanding the format of it, understanding how to eliminate answers based on logic even if you dont know the answer right off the bat, and mining the passage and the question stem for either the answer or hints that lead you to the answer really helped. a lot of times, 2 answer choices imply the same thing and the 3rd one doesnt make any sense or contradicts itself, leaving you with only one possible answer.

i had trouble with their verbal explanations - maybe try identifying why you got the answer wrong? i realized that i would frequently get answers wrong because i did not go back to the passage to verify and remedy faulty memory.

you might need to do more content review. for bio, i got a 9, 11, and then a 10 on the first 3 tests and then started getting 14 and 13s and i think understanding the format of it, understanding how to eliminate answers based on logic even if you dont know the answer right off the bat, and mining the passage and the question stem for either the answer or hints that lead you to the answer really helped. a lot of times, 2 answer choices imply the same thing and the 3rd one doesnt make any sense or contradicts itself, leaving you with only one possible answer.

i had trouble with their verbal explanations - maybe try identifying why you got the answer wrong? i realized that i would frequently get answers wrong because i did not go back to the passage to verify and remedy faulty memory.

Thanks for the replies. Grinding out the fundamentals more never hurts, but the questions I'm missing are not becuase I don't know a physics equation, or physiology concept. I miss the questions that require very obscure calculations or have several "switchbacks" in the questions stems- ("what would be the LEAST likely to happen if the bloodflow did NOT INCREASE"). My mind just takes longer to wrap around those questions.

I guess it's a mixutre of test anxiety and a mild case of general test-taking ineptness. :laugh:

How do you all learn from your mistakes when reviewing these tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it is fine to slow down during bio to make sure you understand the question. understanding the question itself and the point of the question are essential for the entire test.

i read all the explanations to make sure i could follow their logic (right or wrong). for ones i get wrong, i would try to identify exactly why i got it wrong and what i needed to do next time to avoid it. did i gloss over the passage and miss information that could have helped me answer the question? i also like to go through each question and try to eliminate answers purely based on reasoning and asking myself why the author asked the question and what concept they were trying to get at. that way, you start to train your brain to think more logically. i kept a notebook when i reviewed the AAMC tests and would write down general strategies I learned and concepts. also, when confused, drawing a picture or writing your thought process on paper may help, especially for bio. going through and categorizing answer choices was quite helpful as i mentioned above - i did this for most of the bio questions i reviewed and i would write it down in my notebook.

hope that helps.