This King/Drew guy is going to be a legend...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LanceArmstrong

Level X Elite User
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MIDDLESEX COUNTY — A man accused of giving an exotic dancer from South Plainfield a severed human hand stolen while he was a medical student pleaded guilty to theft Thursday, part of a plea deal that will spare him jail time.

Joe Shmo, MD, was charged in September with second- and third-degree theft for crudely severing and taking the left hand from a cadaver in May or June of 2002 while he was a first-year student at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.

In Superior Court, New Brunswick, Shmo pleaded guilty to the third-degree charge of stealing research materials. The second-degree charge of the unlawful taking of human remains, which carried a maximum prison term of 10 years, will be dropped in exchange for his plea, prosecutors said.

He is due to receive probation at his March 1 sentencing hearing. As part of the plea agreement, he has agreed not to seek medical licensure in New Jersey during his probation period, said Assistant Middlesex County Prosecutor Judson Hamlin.

The Prosecutor's Office is seeking a probation term of five years, Hamlin said.

Shmo's's attorney, Kalman Geist of West Paterson, declined comment after the hearing before Judge Frederick DeVesa. Shmo refused to speak to reporters.

Geist originally sought pretrial intervention for Shmo, a program that leads to criminal records being erased if conditions are met.

But Ronald Abramowitz, executive assistant Middlesex County prosecutor, said, "He was never a candidate."

The part of the plea deal in which Rashed agreed not to seek licensing in New Jersey is rare, Abramowitz said.

"We usually leave licensing issues to licensing agencies," he said. "But we felt that what he did was so egregious, we took the unusual step of putting in this condition."

Abramowitz could not say how the conviction will affect Rashed's medical license in other states.

Shmo, formerly of Cranford, served as a resident in the department of Emergency Medicine at King/Drew Medical Center in Los Angeles at the time of his arrest. He remains free on bail.

He has since moved to Texas, Abramowitz said.

In November, Geist called Shmo a dedicated medical professional who worked in an emergency room in the Watts section of Los Angeles.

"Dr. Shmo has probably saved the lives of over 150 people in the last couple of years," Geist said.

Shmo initially rejected the plea deal he agreed to Thursday.

The exotic dancer, Linda Kay, 31, was indicted on charges of receiving stolen human remains, a second-degree offense, and receiving stolen property necessary for research, a third-degree charge. She has applied for pretrial intervention.

Abramowitz said the Prosecutor's Office has no plans to oppose that application.

Kay, a dancer at Hott22, an all-nude juice bar on Route 22 in Union, is free on $50,000 bail.

Police went to Kay's house at 28 Diana Drive in the borough on July 21 in response to a report of a man trying to commit suicide with a hammer. The man was not there, but the officers found the hand preserved in a foot-tall Mason jar of formaldehyde on a basement table.

Shmo gave her the severed hand in formaldehyde at the strip club, Abramowitz said.

The cadaver was cremated after being used in classes, he said.

Something to tell the grandkids...and all the new interns...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on the case, but he's actually a really great guy and one of my friends. Unfortunately people tend to do stupid things when they are younger, and those things often come back to haunt us later.

It's too bad for him, because I can't see how he will get a medical license in any state now. He was supposed to be coming to CC with us.

The guy made a mistake, I don't think he should be ridiculed here.

Members don't see this ad :)
MIDDLESEX COUNTY — A man accused of giving an exotic dancer from South Plainfield a severed human hand stolen while he was a medical student pleaded guilty to theft Thursday, part of a plea deal that will spare him jail time....

Something to tell the grandkids...and all the new interns...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LanceArmstrong, could you do us a favor and post your picture and name on this website for all to see?

I can't comment on the case, but he's actually a really great guy and one of my friends. Unfortunately people tend to do stupid things when they are younger, and those things often come back to haunt us later.

It's too bad for him, because I can't see how he will get a medical license in any state now. He was supposed to be coming to CC with us.

Poor guy, I bet she asked him for it and he was too young and immature to refuse. People are going to play it as a disregard for human life issue, but it could still work out for him, since this sounds like a misdemeanor.

Since he's not in jail and going to another state, anyway, isn't there a chance that CC won't hear of it and still take him?

I would wonder why no one noticed the hand was missing, though.

Members don't see this ad :)

The medical boards are run by cold hearted faceless autocrats looking for the smallest reason to deny your right to practice medicine.

The medial boards are run by cold hearted faceless autocrats looking for the smallest reason to deny your right to practice medicine. I have been denied a license for having too many speeding tickets. (I get the safe driver discount on my insurance and never have had an at fault accident, have no more tickets than most people I know, never more than one per year, never for more than 15mph over the limit.) Nevertheless the idiots on the state medical board feel fit to deny me the right to practice in the my home state.

:eek: :scared:

I have no problem with someone posting this but I think posting the dudes photo is not cool.

Oh and the diff between DKM's avatar and posting some dudes photo is obvious or at least should be.

I hope things work out for him but I doubt that will be the case. truth is this is not a small thing he did.

Just yest I was talking with friends about some of the dumber things many of us had done. Some spent 10 yrs in jail and others had nothing happen to them. Its a shame.

Poor guy, I bet she asked him for it and he was too young and immature to refuse. People are going to play it as a disregard for human life issue, but it could still work out for him, since this sounds like a misdemeanor.

Since he's not in jail and going to another state, anyway, isn't there a chance that CC won't hear of it and still take him?

I would wonder why no one noticed the hand was missing, though.

Actually it's a 3rd degree felony now. The original charge was a 2nd degree felony that carried jail time. He pleaded to the lesser felony to avoid any jail time.

I didn't know you could be denied licensure for a speeding ticket. I had one two years ago, but didn't put that on my application form.

LanceArmstrong, could you do us a favor and post your picture and name on this website for all to see?

bbio-action-lance-armstrong.jpg

The medial boards are run by cold hearted faceless autocrats looking for the smallest reason to deny your right to practice medicine. I have been denied a license for having too many speeding tickets. (I get the safe driver discount on my insurance and never have had an at fault accident, have no more tickets than most people I know, never more than one per year, never for more than 15mph over the limit.) Nevertheless the idiots on the state medical board feel fit to deny me the right to practice in the my home state.
I'm suspicious about this. Did you also have some other charge, like wreckless driving, public endagerment, road rage, etc.?

the thing he did was not a big deal its a hand of a cadaver that was going to be disposed of anyway. its just sounds shocking to the average man...dihonoring the dead and all but in reality remember anatomy lab and all the jokes ppl would make...i think most of us are a little guilty of that. at leat i bet he got some good you know what for that gift from that "exotic dancer"

Take down the dude's photo.

This aint a joke, would YOU want someone posting your name and face all over the internet for all your colleages to see because of some dumb prank you had pulled many years ago?

Keep in mind, this is a story carried by all of the major news outlets. The individual's name and likeness are all over the internet. SDN was not the original source. I agree posting the picture here is tacky, but it is not the huge problem everyone is making it out to be. The forum is supposed to be anonymous, but an individual whose name and picture are "news" doesn't get the same protection. Now, if someone "outed" this individual as a forum user and included their screen name, I'd be upset. But posting a news story (and accompanying picture) doesn't really violate the TOS in letter or spirit IMNSHO.

- H

I took this guy's name and image off the post. Although it is public record, c'mon, he is still one of us.

O.k., but for fairness'es sake, we didn't censor the reports of the Emory resident who was accused (not convicted as in this case) of child molestation. Now, I certainly agree that child molestation is far worse than what is being discussed here, but it begs the question - "when does your crime make you not 'one of us'?"

- H

O.k., but for fairness'es sake, we didn't censor the reports of the Emory resident who was accused (not convicted as in this case) of child molestation. Now, I certainly agree that child molestation is far worse than what is being discussed here, but it begs the question - "when does your crime make you not 'one of us'?"

- H

Well I dont believe the photo was posted. Look I know how to surf the net and find all sorts of info on people. That being said I think posting the guys photo is a little too much. Posting his name I have no problem with.

Oh and anyone who is accused of molesting children makes them "not one of us" IMO. Of course if he is cleared, AND the evidence isnt there then thats one thing.

Ill feel the same way about a doc like I did OJ, sure he was acquitted but I still think he did it.

Well I dont believe the photo was posted. Look I know how to surf the net and find all sorts of info on people. That being said I think posting the guys photo is a little too much. Posting his name I have no problem with.

Oh and anyone who is accused of molesting children makes them "not one of us" IMO. Of course if he is cleared, AND the evidence isnt there then thats one thing.

Ill feel the same way about a doc like I did OJ, sure he was acquitted but I still think he did it.

Look, I agree with everything you said. The child molester "isn't one of us". And if the photo was not included in the news story, it should not have been posted here. But, this guy did admit to giving a cadaveric gift to a medical school to a stripper. I really don't think he is "one of us" either. Think about the effects on donation this case could have. Disrupting future medical education is not something our profession should stand for. What if he had given her unlimited oxy scripts? Obviously his judgement is seriously in question. This isn't a speeding ticket we are talking about or even a DUI. His lack of judgement was directly connected to his professional life, and that shouldn't be tolerated.

- H

Look, I agree with everything you said. The child molester "isn't one of us". And if the photo was not included in the news story, it should not have been posted here. But, this guy did admit to giving a cadaveric gift to a medical school to a stripper. I really don't think he is "one of us" either. Think about the effects on donation this case could have. Disrupting future medical education is not something our profession should stand for. What if he had given her unlimited oxy scripts? Obviously his judgement is seriously in question. This isn't a speeding ticket we are talking about or even a DUI. His lack of judgement was directly connected to his professional life, and that shouldn't be tolerated.

- H

I agree with you as well. I just think that molesting kids is much worse than giving someone a cadaver hand. I think you agree with that as well.

It sounds like he will pay big time for his mistake.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070202/NEWS/702020452/1001

I'm with FoughtFyr. This link has an article AND a HUGE picture of the guy.

It's PUBLIC RECORD and a NEWS STORY. It is NOT someone's PM or something someone specifically asked not to be posted.

Editing a news article (and I seriously doubt that someone found that picture and inserted it, as the article I found has the pic right there) for a felon who used a position of privilege to commit that felon, just because he's an EM resident, is uninspired and illogical. If it's someone's friend or acquaintance, sorry, but he's the now-convicted shmuck (or shmo) who did it. In case anyone notices, there's a whole thread, very popular, called "What I Learn From My Patients", which has very few, if any, accounts that have been publicly written about or published besides here, and indeed has many pictures associated. That thread serves as an amusing but also cautionary tale, as this story does. But to censor it because this guy is an EM doc and not a patient is hypocritical.

The guy made a mistake and he is being punished accordingly. Hopefully, it was a terrible lapse in judgement and will never happen again.

That said, I hope he is not to be a part of the new program in CC. My school has an affiliation with that program and I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with him as my resident. As I said above, hopefully it was a lapse in judgement, but the nature of this crime makes me wonder.

The guy made a mistake and he is being punished accordingly. Hopefully, it was a terrible lapse in judgement and will never happen again.

That said, I hope he is not to be a part of the new program in CC. My school has an affiliation with that program and I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with him as my resident. As I said above, hopefully it was a lapse in judgement, but the nature of this crime makes me wonder.

Nothing like a little controversy to bring out the hypocrites.

1) What the guy did IS a big deal. Put yourself in the cadaver's family's place. Big difference between being a little cavalier with the scalpel during anatomy lab and stealing part of it to show off to your girlfriend. Or business associate. Whatever.

2) Cut the self-righteous bulls*^% crying about the guy's name etc. being posted. Too bad. Think before you do stupid stuff like this. It's a media frenzied world and consequences happen. Do any of you think that if you commit a crime in this day and age your name and/or photo isn't going to be in the public domain? Wake up. And don't invoke some ill-defined sense of "privacy" or "confidentiality" here, either.

3) Having said all that, he did a crime, the punishment has been levied (or in this case negotiated). If he gets denied a license in any state not named N.J. (since that was included in his plea) than I hope he sues that medical board and wins.

Keep in mind, this is a story carried by all of the major news outlets. The individual's name and likeness are all over the internet. SDN was not the original source. I agree posting the picture here is tacky, but it is not the huge problem everyone is making it out to be. The forum is supposed to be anonymous, but an individual whose name and picture are "news" doesn't get the same protection. Now, if someone "outed" this individual as a forum user and included their screen name, I'd be upset. But posting a news story (and accompanying picture) doesn't really violate the TOS in letter or spirit IMNSHO.

- H

The difference is most Er residents dont, or at least I don't, google "ER resident" "arrest" "cadaver hand" "stripper" daily to see what Er residents are getting in trouble. But hundreds of us DO, on the other hand, check out this website frequently. I am new to this site, but I am fairly sure the vast majority of us would never have known about this if it hadn't been posted here. And now this will haunt him for every job interview for the rest of his life. I personally don't think this should be public record to begin with, but there's not much that can be done about that.

The difference is most Er residents dont, or at least I don’t, google “ER resident” “arrest” “cadaver hand” “stripper” daily to see what Er residents are getting in trouble. But hundreds of us DO, on the other hand, check out this website frequently. I am new to this site, but I am fairly sure the vast majority of us would never have known about this if it hadn’t been posted here. And now this will haunt him for every job interview for the rest of his life. I personally don’t think this should be public record to begin with, but there’s not much that can be done about that.

The story was covered on Fox News, the AP, and MSNBC. I'd venture to guess that the coverage of those outlets (to say nothing of the story appearing in the "odd news" section of Yahoo! as a result of the AP feed) is far, far greater than that of SDN. If this thread is the first you've heard of this I might suggest you get out more, no offense.

- H

By the way I found a picture of his girlfriend online:

elvira-vhs-sized.jpg

And I have a message for her :

SNITCHES-SMALL_1.jpg

:laugh:

The story was covered on Fox News, the AP, and MSNBC. I'd venture to guess that the coverage of those outlets (to say nothing of the story appearing in the "odd news" section of Yahoo! as a result of the AP feed) is far, far greater than that of SDN. If this thread is the first you've heard of this I might suggest you get out more, no offense.

- H

I need to get out more because I am not spending enough time surfing the internet or watching TV?

I need to get out more because I am not spending enough time surfing the internet or watching TV?

No, but you might if you are so entrenched in EM that the SDN forum is your source for news and contact with the rest of the world. If you are reading this, you are already surfing the internet.

Look, this isn't a story carried on a local network and placed here by an ill-spirited person. It was a broadly reported on story carried by many major news outlets. At least some of your patients have read it. You may be asked about it. Why should this guy enjoy addiitional protection here on SDN than he does on the rest of the internet. We, as his "colleagues", should arguably hold him to a higher standard. And come on, is there anyone here who would believe that this person did not know what he was doing was very wrong? If he will do this for a piece of a$$ as a student, what will he do as an attending?

- H

3) Having said all that, he did a crime, the punishment has been levied (or in this case negotiated). If he gets denied a license in any state not named N.J. (since that was included in his plea) than I hope he sues that medical board and wins.

Conviction for a felony will make it difficult for him ever to get licensed in any state. Given that the crime was entwined with his profession, his doctor days are probably over.

Let us shudder and then move on.:(

Conviction for a felony will make it difficult for him ever to get licensed in any state. Given that the crime was entwined with his profession, his doctor days are probably over.

I agree with this, and I've discussed it with him. He probably will never practice clinical medicine again.

By the way, we did find a picture of the stripper who implicated him. She makes Elvira look attractive.

I agree with this, and I've discussed it with him. He probably will never practice clinical medicine again.

By the way, we did find a picture of the stripper who implicated him. She makes Elvira look attractive.

I had a classmate convicted of a felony at the end of residency. He has never practiced but is now making more money than most of his classmates working for a large biotech company. Even if you make stupid decisions your life can go on.

Wow!
Sad, bizarre, and....insane?
Perhaps this is a perfect testament to an overtrained, real-world-bereft individual, who skipped learning some basic coping in lieu of a high stakes profession. It sounds like some folks in my class.

She also skipped basic criminal behavior 101. The diapers were an especially unelegant touch.

his doctor days are probably over.

On the broader topic of what constitutes career ending moves, what exactly will cost you a license?

We have the speeding ticket weirdness above and DUI puts you in significant peril, but what else?

PD? Porn? Being Gay in the Southeast? Yelling at a librarian? Not complimenting the cafeteria lady?

The OP's example is a warranted case of licensure loss given all the reasons stated above, but it seems in this world of illusory privacy that the "high standards" applied to physicians become harder to harder to maintain while trying to stay human.

I'm suspicious about this. Did you also have some other charge, like wreckless driving, public endagerment, road rage, etc.?

All I have is speeding tickets and parking tickets. Nothing else.

this whole story kind of reminds my of the astronaut lofe triangle thats in the news now (im sitting in the ed watching cnn) - what do you guys think?

this crazy astronaut girl is proly gonna get kicked out of nasa now...

Plus she is still married and has 3 kids.. bye bye career and prob family..

All I have is speeding tickets and parking tickets. Nothing else. I have several other Medical licenses when I applied for a new state license, They had a very broad question about convictions, I showed it to my lawyer he said it included speeding tickets so I answered yes and included an explanation saying my only convictions were for speeding tickets and parking tickets. The bureaucrats at the board refuse to review my file until I include all court papers related with every speeding ticket I ever had and a full explanation of the all the circumstances. I do not remember every ticket I ever recived. I told the board I just paid them and threw them away. The bureaucrat assigned to my file said that I obviously have a problem obeying the law, since I have so many tickets that I can't remember all of them, therefore I do not have enough integrity to deserve a new state license.
So you were denied a license based on refusal to submit paperwork. That makes the story more believable.

If you provide the paperwork, you won't have your license application rejected because of speeding tickets.

You can go to the DMV to get records of your speeding tickets.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070202/NEWS/702020452/1001

I'm with FoughtFyr. This link has an article AND a HUGE picture of the guy.

It's PUBLIC RECORD and a NEWS STORY. It is NOT someone's PM or something someone specifically asked not to be posted.

Editing a news article (and I seriously doubt that someone found that picture and inserted it, as the article I found has the pic right there) for a felon who used a position of privilege to commit that felon, just because he's an EM resident, is uninspired and illogical. If it's someone's friend or acquaintance, sorry, but he's the now-convicted shmuck (or shmo) who did it. In case anyone notices, there's a whole thread, very popular, called "What I Learn From My Patients", which has very few, if any, accounts that have been publicly written about or published besides here, and indeed has many pictures associated. That thread serves as an amusing but also cautionary tale, as this story does. But to censor it because this guy is an EM doc and not a patient is hypocritical.

AGREED! I heard about this on the radio on the way in to the hospital yesterday morning in Houston. To censor it here it ridiculous. Thanks for the link Apollyon!