This may be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask it anyway

McSurgeon

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2015
Memphis
Status
Pre-Medical
So at my university the organic chem classes are set up like a the Foundations style where instead of having Orgo 1 one semester and taking Orgo 2 the next, it's combined into one semester. So would courses set up like this count as one or two semesters of organic chemistry since technically I'm learning the material from both classes, or since it's technically just one semester would it only count as one semester of organic chem?

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
So at my university the organic chem classes are set up like a the Foundations style where instead of having Orgo 1 one semester and taking Orgo 2 the next, it's combined into one semester. So would courses set up like this count as one or two semesters of organic chemistry since technically I'm learning the material from both classes, or since it's technically just one semester would it only count as one semester of organic chem?
If the course is 3-4 credits, it would count as a single term. However, some premed schools are moving to this as many med schools are moving to 1 term of Organic followed by Biochem.

Reactions: McSurgeon
OP
McSurgeon

McSurgeon

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2015
Memphis
Status
Pre-Medical
@gonnif thanks for the reply! It with the lab is only 4 credits, so I figured that it might only count as one semester. I've seen you mention in other threads about having only one semester of organic and one semester of biochem. My school strongly suggests that premeds to take Foundations/Bioorganic chemistry after orgo and then Biochemistry. Do you think this is overkill or would it be beneficial?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Not overkill and sounds likes a good foundation for MCAT and med schools

jkeast

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2017
If the course is 3-4 credits, it would count as a single term. However, some premed schools are moving to this as many med schools are moving to 1 term of Organic followed by Biochem.
Just curious, but which schools are doing this?

speedwalker

don't @ me
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
FL
Status
Pre-Medical
Just curious, but which schools are doing this?

many schools. For example, all 7 in Florida. Other schools will have their prereqs listed and have orgo with a * and then under will say biochem can be substituted for one orgo semester (ex. WashU, Cornell, Boston U, & more)

Last edited: