This may sound dumb, but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybe.a.dentist

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
... do yall have a hard time with forming or maintaining romantic relationships? I'm still only a predental student but I'm applying for the HPSP and the prospect of going through four years of difficult, time consuming schooling followed by 4+ years of military service is starting to look real. I just wanted to hear from current HPSP students and military dentist as to how relationships worked out for your and your peers. If I'm accepted to dental school this year and receive the scholarship I would be 31 by the time I'm done, I was pretty late to start the dating game (homeschooled) in the idea of not really dating again till I'm 30+ years old sounds like a recipe for creating a socially awkward lifelong bachelor. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think anyone that you may be serious about possible marriage needs to know that you have an HPSP commitment. When I was in dental school about 20% were married at the start and about 80% were married when we graduated. Keep that in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think anyone that you may be serious about possible marriage needs to know that you have an HPSP commitment. When I was in dental school about 20% were married at the start and about 80% were married when we graduated. Keep that in mind.

That is a huge jump. Wow.

Last edited:

I'd be concerned if that didn't come up in a serious relationship.

Reactions: 1 user
Have not seen this as a problem in either dental school or the military. I was already married when I started dental school, but as Hedgy said, lots of people get married to each other in dental school.

stay single and get stationed in san diego

Shoot, if I were single, I'd be taking as many deployments or obscure assignments as I could. Join the Navy, see the world. Get your SWO/FMF/AW pins and pile on the salad.

Reactions: 2 users
Being single also gives much more leeway towards overseas assignments - my buddy is living the life in Korea - plus great downtown Seoul apt.. Who knows? You may even meet a local and get married overseas...

Reactions: 1 users
Shoot, if I were single, I'd be taking as many deployments or obscure assignments as I could. Join the Navy, see the world. Get your SWO/FMF/AW pins and pile on the salad.

^ This is such an awesome attitude. I love it.

What would be your top 3 assignments that you would aim for? (specific ships, specific bases, etc.)

my buddy is living the life in Korea - plus great downtown Seoul apt..

Is he Army?

^ This is such an awesome attitude. I love it.

What would be your top 3 assignments that you would aim for? (specific ships, specific bases, etc.)

1) 6th fleet flagship out of Gaetta, Italy (USS Mount Whitney still?)-- great location between Rome and Naples. An admiral signing your Fitrep isn't a bad thing either. The ship itself is a bit outdated though.
2) Rota, Spain--beautiful weather, beautiful base
3) Annapolis-so much Navy history and tradition and near DC which is good for a history buff like me. Maybe actually living there would change my mind as there is some pucker factor living close to so much brass.

You also have to remember that I was stationed in Italy before, so Europe is a little more dear to my heart.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) 6th fleet flagship out of Gaetta, Italy (USS Mount Whitney still?)-- great location between Rome and Naples. An admiral signing your Fitrep isn't a bad thing either. The ship itself is a bit outdated though.
2) Rota, Spain--beautiful weather, beautiful base
3) Annapolis-so much Navy history and tradition and near DC which is good for a history buff like me. Maybe actually living there would change my mind as there is some pucker factor living close to so much brass.

You also have to remember that I was stationed in Italy before, so Europe is a little more dear to my heart.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I can't decide if it's a good thing or bad thing to tell a potential classmate you'd be interested in that you're doing HPSP (obviously being truthful is best, but in theory).

No debt and a great job guaranteed, but hey I'm gone for four years at the minimum, while you try to figure out your dental career after school.

I know quite a few dentists who have been stationed in Bahrain. Nothing but good things said. That said - I am taking orders there for 1 yr per my request.

I can't decide if it's a good thing or bad thing to tell a potential classmate you'd be interested in that you're doing HPSP (obviously being truthful is best, but in theory).

No debt and a great job guaranteed, but hey I'm gone for four years at the minimum, while you try to figure out your dental career after school.

True.

Last edited:

Plenty of military people with non-mil dentists/healthcare professional spouses.

Reactions: 1 users
Plenty of military people with non-mil dentists/healthcare professional spouses.

My wife is a hospital based pharmacist. Each time we move, she ends up getting better jobs because of the experiences gained at the previous location. Now -she's the clinical director of a local hospital. She even took it upon herself to start up a clinical pharmacy residency from scratch. Moving hasn't hurt her career. It has helped.

Reactions: 2 users

People worry about their potential bf/gf/wife/husband, but potential classmates? That's like even a few levels below potential friends lol

People worry about their potential bf/gf/wife/husband, but potential classmates? That's like even a few levels below potential friends lol
I think I worded that poorly. I meant a classmate you would be potentially starting a relationship with.

I know quite a few dentists who have been stationed in Bahrain. Nothing but good things said. That said - I am taking orders there for 1 yr per my request.
Bahrain is nice. The apartments there are gorgeous. The money is nice too. People are constantly PCSing in and out, so you can get yourself a cheap little car to get you back and forth from the base. There's plenty of restaurants near the base too. Up the block from the base entrance, you turn left and there's a street called "American Alley" (from what I remember), there are plenty of places to eat.
There's no shortage of places to grab a drink either. I've even been to an Irish pub in Bahrain. Just be careful because there are lots of "professional ladies" (the OLDEST profession) that frequent these places. So keep an eye out.
Otherwise, it's a cool place for a single person to be stationed for a year to earn some money and experience.