This medschool blog really SCARES me!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:laugh:

Is that blog a joke? Was I the only one amused by his irrational fear of needle sticks and crack-***** baby's mommas?

In all seriousness, and as several people had already mentioned, not only does this guy does not belong in medicine, but he seems like a whiny little bitch. Quite frankly, Im surprised he made it as far as said clerkships. Granted, I couldnt stand OB/gyn either, but I still dont think it was NEARLY as bad as he made it out to be.

Unfortunately, medical school, as with other decisions you make, is a risk. You never know at the time whether you're making the right choice or not. You just have to go with your gut and hope that youre right. For me, it was right. Certainly not easy, and it certainly had its downs, but I have no regrets.

Most people who go through medical school end up liking it, at least enough to stay with it until they receive their coveted MD/DO degree. Don't let this loser scare you off.

I wholeheartedly endorse Medschoolhell, link to it prominently from my blog, and assure you that everything Brother Hoover says is absolutely true. His distaste for medicine is an opinion of course, but it is based on completely accurate information about medical school that all of you would be advised to consider carefully.

Getting a needle-stick from a crack-***** or a junkie is not an irrational fear. We resuscitate these people all the time and with ten people passing instruments, syringes, tubes, and other equipment around and over the patient who might be bloody, stool-covered, or just oozing from open sores your thin latex glove is not much protection.

Tell your senior nurses that you are amused by their irrational fear of needle sticks. Better yet, leave a "sharp" on the field or in the tray after a procedure and see how the charge nurse reacts.

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a needle-stick from a crack-***** or a junkie is not an irrational fear. We resuscitate these people all the time and with ten people passing instruments, syringes, tubes, and other equipment around and over the patient who might be bloody, stool-covered, or just oozing from open sores your thin latex glove is not much protection.

Tell your senior nurses that you are amused by their irrational fear of needle sticks. Better yet, leave a "sharp" on the field or in the tray after a procedure and see how the charge nurse reacts.

LOL, its true! I was just such a charge nurse for years in a teaching hospital's Pedi-ICU. You do get really "fussy" abouts sharps. No need for fear though, that can lead to overreactions that can further endanger yourself and others. Just be aware of your surroundings. If you are at the bedside, be on your guard; don't stick your hand somewhere that you can't see; throw any sharp that is unaccounted for away in a sharps container; don't recap needles (in general); and always take care of your own mess. You'll make nice with the nurses that way, too. ;)

MOTIVscared.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand why people with attitudes like that go into medicine. You have to accept the fact that you will be treating and working will all sorts of people, no matter how unsavory they may be. You may not like it, but its part of your job. When it comes time for me to inspect some "crack *****'s coochie" I'm going to dive into that mess (taking the proper safety precautions, of course) because if I can learn it like that, I can learn it anywhere, anyway and anyhow.

Well, let's say one of our typical drunks comes in with an altered level of consciousness. These guys don't just smell, they are like one man chemical weapons. I'm talking stench from one end of the department to the other. It's just you and the guy in an exam room. You know he's probably just drunk. Are you going to insist he is disrobed for your examination, including his shoes and socks which cover feet that are on yet another level of offensiveness, or are you going to just look him over, pretend to listen to his heart and lungs and then just document a complete physical exam anyway?

Dive into that one, Cochise.

...What I have realized through everything is you have to be satisfied with what you are doing and not pay attention to all the haters...

The "haters" are trying to open your eyes. You need to pay attention and make decisions with your eyes open.

Sometimes its hard to feel sympathetic to a patient when their condition is brought on by a long series of poor personal decisions. I think everyone knows that alcohol is not conducive to the health of a growing fetus. I think everyone knows that barrier contraceptives help reduce the risk of sexually transmitted diseases.

And yet, people continue to do it. Its not that they are incapable of comprehending the consequences, nor are they under duress. It baffles the mind.

this is very true. i am still premed and i am already feeling the depression of having to care and feel compassion for someone who really doesn't deserve it, who might not even appreciate it. anyways, there are still the nice patients out there, and they are the ones i'm entering the field for. maybe they aren't 100% of the patients, but at least in medicine you get to care for patients.