1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

this might be a stupid question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by the unconquered, Nov 25, 2005.

1. the unconquered

the unconquered Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey all,

I've got a question which might be recieved as moronic to some, but ask you to please bear with me as i am a recent pre-med. Here goes:

If i am interested in a particular med school, is it bad form to email the dean (or whomever serves as the contact for the med school) and simply ask her/him: "I am interested in your program because (insert reason) and my credentials are (insert credentials), do you think i am a competitive applicant? If not what should i do to be more competitive?"

please let me know before i make a fool of myself

dave

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    if you do end up doing it (I have no idea about your original question), use a disposable e-mail address

4. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc
    I don't think it's a bad idea or moronic to say the least. It's probably a good idea to show that your interested in the med. school and you want to be a well-rounded student for the particular med. school. In fact, I think you should call up whoever you wanted to talk to because it'll make thigns a lot less informal since it's not someone "anonymous" over the internet.

5. thegenius

thegenius Senior Wharf Rat
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Showing interest in a school is a good idea, but I would approach it differently. I would just set up an appiontment to see the dean, then you can explain why you are interested in that school and go over your application. You can get a lot more out of a meeting than an email.

6. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That is a fantastic idea. It shows you have initiative, and if you continue to stay in touch with that dean, by the time you apply there you'll be good to go. That said, some deans are nicer than others, but in all honesty I don't think this could do any harm to you, and the insight you can gain from the answer(s) would be awesome.

7. WhatUpDoc!

WhatUpDoc! The Sign Says It All
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Great idea actually... I found myself doing this after receiving my lousy MCAT score last month. The feedback I received ranged from "your chances are very poor" to "we look at the total applicant so apply anyways." I just got my first interview so I know it doesn't hurt if you do so. Get those e-mails out on the double ;)

8. rocketman

rocketman Member
    5+ Year Member

I agree that you should set up an appointment with the dean for admissions at the medical school you are interested in. Don't simply send an e-mail as those are sometimes ignored.

9. the unconquered

the unconquered Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks to everyone for the advice...

perhaps i will start by emailing and if that doesnt seem to get results, i will certainly call and set up an appointment with the dean...unfortunately, i am currently living on the west coast and my desired school is in on the east coast, so i will probably have to hold of on a personal meeting until i make it back out east

thanks

dave

10. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I scheduled a meeting with the director of admissions at a school I was very interested in. We discussed the school, my credentials, and she said I had a good shot if I retook the MCAT and got a current score comparable to my original score which was too old to consider. I took her advice. Due to some career issues, I couldn't apply for two years, but when I did, I got in on the first possible date. I think my ongoing correspondence helped rather than hurt me in the process. Just be extremely courteous, professional, and be ready to accept their advice or you might as well not ask.