This might have been asked before...but

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Technorino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a high DAT sort of counter a semilow gpa?

Talking like a 24+ on the DAT

and

a ~3.0 GPA

with shadowing and all the necessary stuff.

Any advice?

If a student has a ~3.0 gpa and is approaching graduation, is there any way he or she can bring that up before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are tons people per day that ask this question. Take your mouse and scroll down just a little on the forum or maybe do a search and you'll see all the people with the same question. Look up 3.0 gpa or something if it is too difficult for you to know what to search for. Sometimes I feel bad for people with a low gpa because they had difficult circumstances etc. Other times I think that if people like this guy are too lazy to search for an answer to their question then there is probably a reason they got such a low gpa (ie. LAZINESS) and I don't feel sorry for them at all.

Yes this question has been discussed millions of times on SDN but that's kind of the nature of the forum.

I'll answer your question with my opinion. I don't think a high DAT score offsets a low GPA. If you have a lower GPA but an upward trend and then get a high DAT score, the DAT could help, but there will still be students with a high DAT AND a high GPA.

I think the DAT and GPA tell adcoms different things about you. So it's not like one will make up for the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
a superstar DAT score WILL mitigate a subpar GPA. However, if you are below a 3.0 odds are you may need to take some extra classes in addition to try and boost it.

Getting a 24+ is no walk in the park....just sayin

And that being said alot of schools won't forgive your GPA regardless. Stony, Harvard, etc short of a 27 they will prob toss your application if they see a 3.0 So apply to ALOT of schools and hope that a few of them are willing to give you a shot.

Yes this question has been discussed millions of times on SDN but that's kind of the nature of the forum.

I'll answer your question with my opinion. I don't think a high DAT score offsets a low GPA. If you have a lower GPA but an upward trend and then get a high DAT score, the DAT could help, but there will still be students with a high DAT AND a high GPA.

I think the DAT and GPA tell adcoms different things about you. So it's not like one will make up for the other.

Right, that was my inkling. Thanks.

If the GPA will be ~3.1 by graduation, do you suggest a Post-Bac? Talking with an adviser soon so going to see what he says, but what are your thoughts?

I've looked through some threads but whats the difference between a post-bac and masters? I'm assuming masters is grad and post-bac is undergrad?

a superstar DAT score WILL mitigate a subpar GPA. However, if you are below a 3.0 odds are you may need to take some extra classes in addition to try and boost it.

Getting a 24+ is no walk in the park....just sayin

And that being said alot of schools won't forgive your GPA regardless. Stony, Harvard, etc short of a 27 they will prob toss your application if they see a 3.0 So apply to ALOT of schools and hope that a few of them are willing to give you a shot.

Right, I understand that a 24+ is no walk in the park but I know that I have what it takes.

What if I do a Post-Bac without applying to any schools whatsoever and then apply after the post-bac is done?

Is that better than applying to a bunch, getting rejected at all, and then trying again a year or so later?

Thanks for the responses :)

If you have the money to spend, why not. It shows that you are determined to get in.

Right, I understand that a 24+ is no walk in the park but I know that I have what it takes.

Wait.. so you don't have 24AA and you are asking this assuming you will get 24+??? You should ask after you get such score.
Mister 24 on the DAT is around 99 percentile just for your knowledge.

Right, that was my inkling. Thanks.

If the GPA will be ~3.1 by graduation, do you suggest a Post-Bac? Talking with an adviser soon so going to see what he says, but what are your thoughts?

I've looked through some threads but whats the difference between a post-bac and masters? I'm assuming masters is grad and post-bac is undergrad?

Yes I think post bac generally refers to taking additional classes but not as part of a masters program.

I would saying getting into a masters program would be better because at least those classes are going towards something in case you end up not going to dental school. I'm not sure how much of a difference (if any) dental schools view the two. They just want to see you doing well in science classes.

A 3.1 isn't too bad. I would do really well on the DAT, plan on a post bac or masters but hope to not need it!

What if I do a Post-Bac without applying to any schools whatsoever and then apply after the post-bac is done?

Is that better than applying to a bunch, getting rejected at all, and then trying again a year or so later?

Thanks for the responses :)

Yeah, it's not too bad. You just have to beat other 99 pre-dental students out there :) If you go to a decent university and you are used to studying correctly, then 24 could be a walk in the park for you.

If you have the money to spend, why not. It shows that you are determined to get in.

True.

Wait.. so you don't have 24AA and you are asking this assuming you will get 24+??? You should ask after you get such score.
Mister 24 on the DAT is around 99 percentile just for your knowledge.

Acknowledged. Thanks.

Yes I think post bac generally refers to taking additional classes but not as part of a masters program.

I would saying getting into a masters program would be better because at least those classes are going towards something in case you end up not going to dental school. I'm not sure how much of a difference (if any) dental schools view the two. They just want to see you doing well in science classes.

A 3.1 isn't too bad. I would do really well on the DAT, plan on a post bac or masters but hope to not need it!

Hmm the plan is to go to dental school and nowhere else, so I think post-bac is a necessary because I don't wanna get rejected and then have to re-apply, if you get my drift.

Yeah, it's not too bad. You just have to beat other 99 pre-dental students out there :) If you go to a decent university and you are used to studying correctly, then 24 could be a walk in the park for you.

Right, I understand that, lets see where it takes me. :thumbup:

Too bad 24s are not available just for the asking/wishing/dreaming.