This my resume. need some reply on how to improve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsc2879

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at Penn State right now. I am going to take a gap year before applying to medical school, so I got one year to make it better. Please give me some feedback. Thank you very much

*I did not take mcat yet.
*some clartification: this resume is for applying for research position. also please evaluate me as a med applicants.

Permanent Resident Status

****** Email: [email protected].

EDUCATION
The Pennsylvania State University. University Park; Shreyer Honors College
Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering with Electric Option – May 2011
Cumulative GPA: 3.83 Science GPA: 3.85

EXPERIENCE
Group Project in Design of transportation system for third world countries Fall 2008 ( this is done in class, and I probably take it off eventually)
*Designed a transportation vehicle for the third world country using simple items like bicycle to meet
the third world requirement and constraints.
*Group collaboration with my partners and be the leader of the group
*Using solidwork, PowerPoint, Microsoft Planner to design and manage the whole project.
*Assuming a leadership position and gave verbal presentation

Group Project in Study of two lanes Traffic controller Spring 2009 (this is done is class too, I probably take it off too)
*Assembled the traffic controller using building board, wires, resistors and etc. and mimicked the circuit design using multisim.
*Group collaboration with my partner and presented it in local EURECA conference

Research Project on the signal detection of the QRS Diagnostic six – leads EKG machine Fall 2008 – Spring 2009 ( this was initially a honor class project, then I expanded it to an independent research in the second semester.)
*study the effects of the positions and types of electrical leads on the signal collection and analyzing
*Using a six leads computer portable EKG produced by QRS Diagnostic and two types of electrical leads produced by the same company.
*Testing it on a male, a female and myself. Collected the data, analyzed it and presented it in the Northeast Regional Honors Conference in Annapolis.

Work in an Organic Chemistry Lab dealing with 1,3-Cycloaddition Summer 2009 (I worked in my professor's lab, he received a grant from NSF)
*Worked on several Organic Chemistry reactions, mainly dealing using Cycloaddition to synthesize nitrogen benzene derivates.
*Learned how to assemble the instrumentations and run complex organic reactions – using NMR, nitrogen gas, distillation, and column chromatography.
*Group work and team building.

Work in an Electric Bioengineering Lab Fall 2009 (this is also done in my professor's lab, this lab is for a company called medtronics)
*Enhance and adjust atrial fibrillation device
*Adjust and test the capacitor – inductor circuit, use function generator, oscilloscope and Triple – Output power supply.
*Using water to generate electrical wave and test its intensity. Test the catheter on pigs' heart and generate the ablations. Adjust the catheter and try different combinations to get the anticipated results.

Work in the Arby's fast food restaurant 2007-2009 ( it is my first job after coming to america, maybe not that significant compared to other students)
* Being a sandwich maker at the backline.

SKILL
*Using engineering and computer software: COMSOL *Multiphysics, Solid Work, Multisim, C++, Mat Lab, *Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Minitab.
*Using most of the devices and chemicals in an organic chemistry lab;
*Can speak fluent Mandarin Chinese. have received China's public education until the age of 17. ( I am a Chinese native, mandarin (more accurately Beijing dialect) is my mother tough)

AWARD ( I probably take this section off my resume)
Engineering Excellent Award – two years; Presidential Freshman Award; Academic Excellent Award – two years; Dean's List – 4 Quarters.

INVOLVEMENT and HOBBY
Lion ambassador. Fall/Spring 2007-2008;
Community service in the outpatient line at the Riddle Memorial Hospital. Summer 2007 and Spring 2009
Writer of the Agora Magazine (Penn State School magazine). Present
Have a passion for literature and history. won prize in Chinese composition contest and be able and have read classic Chinese history books, literature and philosophy.

Thank you very much for anybody left comments

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some first impressions I'd have if I were considering you for a job (and I'd guess these would be similar to what an adcom might think):

I am a junior at Penn State right now. I am going to take a gap year before applying to medical school, so I got one year to make it better. Please give me some feedback. Thank you very much

*I did not take mcat yet.

Permanent Resident Status
****** Email: [email protected].

EDUCATION
The Pennsylvania State University. University Park; Shreyer Honors College
Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering with Electric Option – May 2011
Cumulative GPA: 3.83 Science GPA: 3.85

Good GPA. sGPA doesn't go on a resume (if this is meant as more than just med school apps).

EXPERIENCE
Group Project in Design of transportation system for third world countries Fall 2008
*Designed a transportation vehicle for the third world country using simple items like bicycle to meet
the third world requirement and constraints.
*Group collaboration with my partners and be the leader of the group
*Using solidwork, PowerPoint, Microsoft Planner to design and manage the whole project.
*Assuming a leadership position and gave verbal presentation

Group projects don't belong on apps or resumes. They are insignificant (if done for a class). If done for a lab (non-curricular/no academic credit) then they should be worded as such.

Group Project in Study of two lanes Traffic controller Spring 2009
*Assembled the traffic controller using building board, wires, resistors and etc. and mimicked the circuit design using multisim.
*Group collaboration with my partner and presented it in local EURECA conference
Lab? Class? If class or similar, take off. Insignificant.
Research Project on the signal detection of the QRS Diagnostic six – leads EKG machine Fall 2008 – Spring 2009
*study the effects of the positions and types of electrical leads on the signal collection and analyzing
*Using a six leads computer portable EKG produced by QRS Diagnostic and two types of electrical leads produced by the same company.
*Testing it on a male, a female and myself. Collected the data, analyzed it and presented it in the Northeast Regional Honors Conference in Annapolis.
Lab? Supervisor? Position? Duration? (Months, not semesters)
Work in an Organic Chemistry Lab dealing with 1,3-Cycloaddition Summer 2009
*Worked on several Organic Chemistry reactions, mainly dealing using Cycloaddition to synthesize nitrogen benzene derivates.
*Learned how to assemble the instrumentations and run complex organic reactions – using NMR, nitrogen gas, distillation, and column chromatography.
*Group work and team building.
As in Ochem Lab (course)? Remove.
If not class... specify lab name, supervisor, title.
Work in an Electric Bioengineering Lab Fall 2009
*Enhance and adjust atrial fibrillation device
*Adjust and test the capacitor – inductor circuit, use function generator, oscilloscope and Triple – Output power supply.
*Using water to generate electrical wave and test its intensity. Test the catheter on pigs’ heart and generate the ablations. Adjust the catheter and try different combinations to get the anticipated results.
Give months, not semesters. Supervisor? Your title? Supervisor's title & affiliation? Accomplishments?
Work in the Arby’s fast food restaurant 2007-2009
* Being a sandwich maker at the backline.
Accomplishments? Why is this significant? (Make "me" care.)
SKILL
*Using engineering and computer software: COMSOL *Multiphysics, Solid Work, Multisim, C++, Mat Lab, *Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Minitab.
*Using most of the devices and chemicals in an organic chemistry lab;
*Can speak fluent Mandarin Chinese; have received China's public education until the age of 17.
Good. Skills section is good. List specialty areas w/ ochem lab; it is assumed that you are able to operate basic related equipment if you were part of an ochem lab so "can use most of the devices and chemicals" is redundant and not particularly helpful. Rate your fluency in terms of native level not "have received China's public education...." That implies you probably spoke Chinese well at one time but says little about now (people lose it).
AWARD
Engineering Excellent Award – two years; Presidential Freshman Award; Academic Excellent Award – two years; Dean’s List – 4 Quarters.
Ok. I'd probably leave awards off unless you have more significant ones. I actually don't generally list mine on my resume and I have some very large monetary grants (unless applying for a research or academic position or similar).
INVOLVEMENT and HOBBY
Lion ambassador. Fall/Spring 2007-2008;
Community service in the outpatient line at the Riddle Memorial Hospital.
What did you do? Why should "I" care?
Summer 2007 and Spring 2009
Writer of the Agora Magazine (Penn State School magazine). Present
Have a passion for literature and history. won prize in Chinese composition contest and be able and have read classic Chinese history books, literature and philosophy.
Good job w/ listing some achievements.
Thank you very much for anybody left comments

What kind of job are you looking for? Resumes aren't actually one-size-fits-all. Perhaps you're looking for a software development or research position? You will want to organize your resume to emphasize the most relevant skills/experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of job are you looking for? Resumes aren't actually one-size-fits-all...

This is a great point. The resume needs to be customized for the position you're applying to. (The points I gave were generalized but you need to consider what you want out of the resume.)

apumic's advice was generally spot on.

Depending on the job you're applying for, I would add some more detail to the skills section. If you're applying for lab-type jobs, be sure to address any techniques that they may use that you have significant experience with.

I'd also add that if you're applying for jobs, be sure to write an individualized cover letter for each position. At former companies I've worked for, we wouldn't even read resumes that didn't have cover letters addressed specifically to our organization.

The guys before have pretty much got it covered in content.
I'd like to emphasize formatting and language. Small mistakes in grammar and spelling on a resume will make you look un-intelligent, while you clearly are very intelligent. work on these issues.
Also, consider, making a CV instead of a resume, as most of your experience is academic. Google CV for sample formats.

Good advice so far. Would also advice making a CV.

Just a side note, why are you taking a "gap year" before applying? Seems like you could get some good volunteer and clinical experience in before your app. Your gpa is fine, just need to get the MCAT done. Sounds like you would be competitive. I keep hearing this growing trend of people just immediately taking a gap year and if its for grades and such there really is no need. If its for personal reasons that understandable.

Good advice so far. Would also advice making a CV.

Just a side note, why are you taking a "gap year" before applying? Seems like you could get some good volunteer and clinical experience in before your app. Your gpa is fine, just need to get the MCAT done. Sounds like you would be competitive. I keep hearing this growing trend of people just immediately taking a gap year and if its for grades and such there really is no need. If its for personal reasons that understandable.

For several reasons. first, since English is not my native language, I want to spend more time reinforceing it. second, my schedule has been so packed for the first three years. Only in the fourth year, I would find time to study for mcat. Also, I could get my us citizenship by then, which will qualify me for some scholarship that I was not legible now.