This needs to stop – monoclonal anybody rant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArteryStudyPainting

Artery: The study of painting
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bamlanivimab.

Are you kidding me. Are you ****ing kidding me. Stop. Sthap. Please.

It's like satan's dartboard is ready and waiting any time a company names anything. And god forbid it should make any sense whatsoever. Holy ****. And that goes for ANY other drug as well. Like, just bite me.

Why does nobody talk about this more?!?!?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19 users
Bamlanivimab.

It's like satan's dartboard is ready and waiting any time a company names anything. And god forbid it should make any sense whatsoever. Holy ****. And that goes for ANY other drug as well. Like, just bite me.

Bam-lan-i-vi-mab. Five syllables, two fewer than your username.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at wikipedia, even they said that "oh that peice has no meaning" and that it should be recognizable then slightly dissed the tnf alpha inhibitors for being difficult.

name it covidbind ffs

Reactions: 4 users
Wam bam thank you ma...Eli Lilly.

5 nonsense syllables v. 7 syllables that make up 3 very basic words.

Yep, totally comparable.
All syllables are nonsense until they're assigned meaning, so... yes. Totally comparable.

All syllables are nonsense until they're assigned meaning, so... yes. Totally comparable.
Correct.

So tell me, how many monoclonal antibody names/syllables are now part of the common language?

Or non-controlled drug generic names?

Now let's compare that to "artery" "study" and "painting".

Reactions: 1 user
Artery is indeed the study of painting.

I love this discourse. I was also feeling some kind of way after my break-up yesterday, so I wanted to yell at the system lol.

Correct.

So tell me, how many monoclonal antibody names/syllables are now part of the common language?

I'm not here to do your English homework. Not sure why you're so hung up on five syllables.

All I'm saying, is that I would like one thing to be simple in medicine. Just look at the preposterous ambiguity in proteins.

You could name something after its function. After what it attacks and does. But more often than not, that scientist had it out for the future tools trying to learn his stupid system. Sonic hedgehog is always my rant starter. Like, congrats, you were so cute and quirky with your naming. Bet you didn't assume that it was going to f*** children up in the future. But at least you were quirky. Great job.

Members don't see this ad :)
So instead of saying "hey, back off" you just decided to be a jerk to me?
I wasn't intending to be a jerk with my first response. It was when you responded in a pedantic matter that I got snippy.

But fair enough, if my initial response came out in a way I didn't intend you have my apologies.

Now that we've cleared the air: hey, back off.

I wasn't intending to be a jerk with my first response. It was when you responded in a pedantic matter that I got snippy.

But fair enough, if my initial response came out in a way I didn't intend you have my apologies.

Now that we've cleared the air: hey, back off.
Fair enough. I could have been more gracious in my initial post too.

@ArteryStudyPainting, sorry to hear about your breakup. Vent as much as you need, I won't say anything else.

Reactions: 1 users
Bamlanivimab.

I was at a meeting once and asked a sales rep "how do they come up with these whacky names?"

Quite soberly, he told me that they are focus group tested.

But aren't there built in clues as to what drugs do? Like some antivirals have "___avir" in the name right? Do monoclonals have this?

Correct.

Ohmigawd! I just looked up some of these!

Yervoy and Taltz? Sounds like a law firm!!!

You could name something after its function. After what it attacks and does. But more often than not, that scientist had it out for the future tools trying to learn his stupid system. Sonic hedgehog is always my rant starter.

Don't get me started on gene names!!!! 18 wheeler? son of sevenless? Toll??? bride of doubletime??????????
:barf:

• Haha
I was at a meeting once and asked a sales rep "how do they come up with these whacky names?"

Quite soberly, he told me that they are focus group tested.

But aren't there built in clues as to what drugs do? Like some antivirals have "___avir" in the name right? Do monoclonals have this?
I've been looking into it a little. That is true for most. They do follow a system. But it's so ridiculous and hard to understand unless you parse through it every time. An example would be if you parsed out the 6 syllables for so and so, you'd find that it actually means "heart mouse + antibody + cell destroyer + location: in your b-cells". But it's so impossible to understand that unless you are around it forever.

From wikipedia: "Broken down into ab-ci-xi-mab, its name shows the drug to be a chimeric monoclonal antibody used on the cardiovascular system."

Very easy to remember! Created for the everyday person, simpletons included.

Ohmigawd! I just looked up some of these!

Yervoy and Taltz? Sounds like a law firm!!!

You could name something after its function. After what it attacks and does. But more often than not, that scientist had it out for the future tools trying to learn his stupid system. Sonic hedgehog is always my rant starter.

Don't get me started on gene names!!!! 18 wheeler? son of sevenless? Toll??? bride of doubletime??????????
:barf:
"Yervoy? Oh yeah I've used that. That's bamlanivimab right?" "Close! It's actually Ipilimumab though. Points for trying though."

"Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard, upon seeing embryos with mutations in what is now known as the Toll gene, exclaimed "Das ist ja toll!" ("That's amazing!")- hence the name"

I need to stop. I'm actually getting pi*sed off now lol.

"Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard, upon seeing embryos with mutations in what is now known as the Toll gene, exclaimed "Das ist ja toll!" ("That's amazing!")- hence the name"

I need to stop. I'm actually getting pi*sed off now lol.
And of course Toll-like receptors are innate immune signaling molecules (though I think I may have read once somewhere that they do something in development as well?).

Regardless if I ever discover and name a protein it's gonna be a stupid name like RALP-1 (Rick Astley Like Protein-1) and there won't be much of anything anyone can do about it. Unless it's a surface marker on an immune protein, then they can call it the super helpful CD679 or something and immunologists can spend every journal club arguing about whether CD4+ cells that express it are actually unique subpopulations or not.

Edit: here's a dumber name: COexpressed with Vimentin in Fulminant hEpatic Failure and Endothelial cells (COVFEFE)

Last edited:
  • Haha
And of course Toll-like receptors are innate immune signaling molecules (though I think I may have read once somewhere that they do something in development as well?).

Regardless if I ever discover and name a protein it's gonna be a stupid name like RALP-1 (Rick Astley Like Protein-1) and there won't be much of anything anyone can do about it. Unless it's a surface marker on an immune protein, then they can call it the super helpful CD679 or something and immunologists can spend every journal club arguing about whether CD4+ cells that express it are actually unique subpopulations or not.
Is that your way of rick-rolling us? lol

Took a course from a big name human geneticist once, he went on a whole rant about how fly geneticists come up with stupid gene names and how he hates having to tell a parent about how their baby has a mutated sonic hedgehog or whatever other gene name

• Wow
  • Haha
Unfortunate for board testing purposes that the MABs are the future of cancer/autoimmune treatment...good thing step1 is P/F and heck they will probably make step2 P/F in the future as well.

The company wants you to use the brand name, my dude