This NP is breaking the law!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://maverickhealth.com/about/

Carla Mills is a licensed and accredited Nurse Practitioner who has been a practicing clinician for more than 20 years. She began her career as an ER/trauma nurse at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. In addition to working in emergency rooms in both New York and Florida, she has practiced in critical care (ICUs and recovery rooms), in home health care, and in rehabilitation facilities. In 1995, she earned her graduate degree and became licensed and board certified as Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) in Family Practice. She is currently in private practice in Naples, Florida.

Carla has written A Nurse Practitioner’s Guide to Smart Health Choices specifically for patients with no prior medical knowledge. Since Nurse Practitioners are the only health professionals who practice both medicine (treating the disease) and nursing (treating patients’ response to the disease),

Florida state law specifically says that hte practice of medicine is regulated by the state medical board. This NP has no certification from the state board of florida to practice medicine, therefore she is breaking the law.

I just reported her to the board, I'm sure they will do absolutely nothing about it since they're so scared of the nurses.

Members don't see this ad.

http://maverickhealth.com/about/

Florida state law specifically says that hte practice of medicine is regulated by the state medical board. This NP has no certification from the state board of florida to practice medicine, therefore she is breaking the law.

I just reported her to the board, I'm sure they will do absolutely nothing about it since they're so scared of the nurses.

Which board did you report her to? You'd probably get more action reporting her to the BON. Really stupid of her to claim she practiced medicine. Stupid and false, and it makes it hard for the good NPs out there, which is why someone should call her on it.

:sleep:

I agree with Mac. Good job reporting her. It's time to stop this propaganda.

Pain Management, Anesthesia, Family Medicine... what's next?

I agree with Mac. Good job reporting her. It's time to stop this propaganda.

Pain Management, Anesthesia, Family Medicine... what's next?

Except he reported her to the wrong board.

Since when do BONs report or prosecute people who practice medicine without a license?

In every single case of a real prosecution, it was the BOM working with the DAs who got it rolling, the nursing boards had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Since when do BONs report or prosecute people who practice medicine without a license?

In every single case of a real prosecution, it was the BOM working with the DAs who got it rolling, the nursing boards had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

They go after nurses who practice outside the scope of their license all the time. I get a quarterly newsletter from my BON; there are always several people on that list who get their licenses yanked for it. I guess it just depends on where you live.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Look at it from the perspective of a nurse operating outside the bounds of her license. Don't look at it from the perspective of a nurse practicing medicine. I'm just saying this with the experience of many years of observing why and how the BON prosecutes nurses. They aren't there to protect nurses. They are there to protect the public from nurses who are operating outside their scope of practice/unsafe/impaired/etc. Heck, they'll discipline you if you start kiting checks because you are of "poor moral character."

Nobody is talking about prosecution. We're talking about regulating licensure. Since the NP is licensed through the BON, they're the ones to talk to.

What fab4fan said.

They go after nurses who practice outside the scope of their license all the time. I get a quarterly newsletter from my BON; there are always several people on that list who get their licenses yanked for it. I guess it just depends on where you live.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Look at it from the perspective of a nurse operating outside the bounds of her license. Don't look at it from the perspective of a nurse practicing medicine. I'm just saying this with the experience of many years of observing why and how the BON prosecutes nurses. They aren't there to protect nurses. They are there to protect the public from nurses who are operating outside their scope of practice/unsafe/impaired/etc. Heck, they'll discipline you if you start kiting checks because you are of "poor moral character."
I agree with Fab4. Anytime you are dealing with a board of whatever it's not there to help its licensees. It's there to smack them down when they get out of line.
Seriously we all have to remember that the medical boards aren't there to help us or make our lives any easier. Just the opposite in fact, they usually brag to their constituents about how had they make it on doctors. I know mine does. They have radio commercials about how hard it is to get licensed.

They want to make it hard so they can appear to be tough in the “public interest” but they also can’t create a worse physician shortage. Being government agencies they tend to be fairly ineffective and reactionary.
The best chance of action being taken is by the BON. I doubt the medical board would do anything. The other less likely to be effective avenue would be a criminal investigation for practicing without a license. The med board might render an opinion is asked as part of such an investigation but that's about it.