This one goes out to the Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocJulez

Awesome Canadian
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just figured i'd start a thread where us Canadians can discuss all the EXTRA crap we have to do before we start med school this year (or next or whenever), ie: visas, loans, flights, canadian-friendly schools, blah blah blah.

so post whatever you want on here. and hopefully it will be easier if we're going through this together!

peace

J

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you Canadians are attending osteopathic schools? Does this mean that you will practice in the U.S.? Because it's a lot harder to get licensed to practice in Canada with a D.O., isn't it? Maybe times have changed.

So you Canadians are attending osteopathic schools? Does this mean that you will practice in the U.S.? Because it's a lot harder to get licensed to practice in Canada with a D.O., isn't it? Maybe times have changed.

well yes, i do in fact plan on staying in the states. however, in ontario at least (where i live), a DO student just has to do an ACGME residency, then the can go back to canada if they want.

again, for me, no biggie, i dont give a crap, lol, but for others, its an option. and i think more and more canadians are looking into it. :)

Yeah, I'm also probably going to stay in the states, but I want to keep my options open in case I want to go back (that's why I'm leaning more towards ACGME residencies rather than AOA, but we'll see what happens).

I found that most provinces now allow you to get back into the province some way. Ontario is definetly the easiest, but others will take you as a GP, some just want you to do your residency and take the canadian boards. It's not "easy", but the application process hasn't been either, so I don't expect anything else to be either. I am not sure if I am going to stay in the states or not, it's time will tell at this point.

I am just doing my applications for that scholarship. They want FOUR references, that's insane, and it's due very soon since the committee is meeting in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can at least get rewarded for the last minute scramble to get it!

So Julez, I see you picked AZCOM, hoorah! Aren't you so relieved?

Pete, did you decide what you are doing next year?

At this point, I'm planning on Western, but I'm still waiting on GW, so I'm not 100% sure yet.

How much is that scholarship exactly? I won't be applying for it, since I won't be able to get 4 references in time, but I'm just curious...

At this point, I'm planning on Western, but I'm still waiting on GW, so I'm not 100% sure yet.

How much is that scholarship exactly? I won't be applying for it, since I won't be able to get 4 references in time, but I'm just curious...

Hi there, where are you from and which undergraduate?

Hey Pete,

the references dont have to write you a letter or anything, you just put their names down, nothing big. i say you still apply. i just sent mine in.
anyways, the info is at http://www.osteopathic.ca/contacts.htm

you want the 3rd name down. Ms Patricia Roper. you have to send her a letter requesting an application. and yes, it must be in the mail, no email, and thou there's a fax number, she'd prefer you not use it....trust me, i asked. lol
then she'll send you the form, and you fill it out and send it back.

its for $5000 per year, and you dont have to pay it back, but thats with the understanding that you're going back to canada. if ur not, its just another loan. let me know if you need any other info. sorry i didnt get back faster, i've been a little all over the place lately. but seriously, i'd think you'd still be able to apply....and if not....meh, its not that much money....lol, the bank should be able to pull throu for ya.

J

So Julez, I see you picked AZCOM, hoorah! Aren't you so relieved?

Pete, did you decide what you are doing next year?

yup! totally pumped to start now. it just made sense for me, you know. steve nash was calling my name lol

woot woot :hardy:. dance party anyone?

Doc Julez! Are you sure you don't need a letter? The info I read indicates you need four letters of recommendation! I just emailed a bunch of references so I don't want them doing unnecessary work!! Eek. I am so confused.

The Canadian Medical Association used to provide lines of credit for Canadian students going south to study in the US.

It is worth checking if this also applies to DO students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried looking for this line of credit and could only find one for Canadians going to Canadian schools, do you have any idea where to look for this option?
I like the idea that you don't pay til after residency!

Shoot.... Now I'm not sure. I don't have my app anymore.do u still have it? Wat does it say on there?

Hmmmm. Lol, this is so not worth it sometimes...

Hey DocJ.
On the old school application is says list the references, but then the sheet of paper that came with it it indicates four letters of recommendations are needed. So I am sending them and I guess they can just throw them out if they don't need them.
I agree, it does seem like a lot of work. Hopefully it pays off!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4KTebUT6Mw[/YOUTUBE]

Hey DocJ.
On the old school application is says list the references, but then the sheet of paper that came with it it indicates four letters of recommendations are needed. So I am sending them and I guess they can just throw them out if they don't need them.
I agree, it does seem like a lot of work. Hopefully it pays off!

I knew something fishy was going on! I didnt receive any additional sheet of paper with the application. Patricia forgot to include it for me, THATS why i didnt know we had to sent letters. But i just called her to confirm, and yes, its true, 4 letters of reccomendation.
this junk always happens to me, lol, thanks for the heads up, i woulda been screwed otherwise!

yup! totally pumped to start now. it just made sense for me, you know. steve nash was calling my name lol

woot woot :hardy:. dance party anyone?
bad news Julez...theres no dancing in Arizona

....as much as Canadians don't want to believe it, Steve Nash has Africa in his heart...I said it, I ain't scerred

well yes, i do in fact plan on staying in the states. however, in ontario at least (where i live), a DO student just has to do an ACGME residency, then the can go back to canada if they want.

again, for me, no biggie, i dont give a crap, lol, but for others, its an option. and i think more and more canadians are looking into it. :)

I have Canadian citizenship and have been playing with idea of returning to Ontario one day. I haven't really don't any of the research, but it is good to know that it can be done!

Fleshy headed mutant, are you friendly?

No way, eh. Radiation has made me an enemy of civilization.

Strange Brew is the greatest movie ever made.