This thread is encouragement for students attending CC wanting to go to Med School?

hellodoc

10+ Year Member
May 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Can people or people that know people who went to a community college than transferred into a 4 year university tell what Medical schools they got or are getting accepted to?

Anyone :D

Long Dong

My middle name is Duc.
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
The Best Coast
Status
Attending Physician
hellodoc said:
Can people or people that know people who went to a community college than transferred into a 4 year university tell what Medical schools they got or are getting accepted to?

I went to long beach city college before ucla.

hermit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Did they every talk about punctuation at junior college?

coco11

will settle for roses
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
i hope dr. e continues to be this obnoxious - then he'll hopefully get banned for trolling! :)

Kuba

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
DR. EUGENIC said:
thank you....do you think you could write that in a reccomendation letter for me?.... :sleep:
looks like we aren't all perfect

Kuba

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
Back to the OP's question, I don't know of anyone personally, but I have seen it discussed on this thread. I think that as long as you transfer to a 4 year school ,take some upper level classes, and do well then you should be ok.

zach1201

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
Status
coco11 said:
i hope dr. e continues to be this obnoxious - then he'll hopefully get banned for trolling! :)
Amen.

As to the OPs question, I know of 3 people that are M2 that went from CC to 4 year undergrad. Two of them are URM.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hermit said:
Did they every talk about punctuation at junior college?
Oh, Karma. HEY! Don't point that gun at me, Hermit! j/k!

DR.EUGENIC said:
UH...does a mod go on other mods.....i think not...
Okay. First you're a UCLA student. Then you go to Berkeley. Next, you're posting MCAT's ranging from 28 to 34. Now you think you're a Mod. Wow. I think YOU are the one who might need some help, my friend. :eek:

temmie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2005
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hellodoc said:

sorry some really annoying fellows are taking over your thread. Anyways to answer your question, i transferred from elcamino college in torrance,los angeles CA to UCLA and will be starting this fall at UCSF.
I think the most important thing is for you to have good grades and achieve anything you can extracurricularly.
I dont regret going to a CC. It gave me the chance to know my professors personally and i got the best letters of rec from them. If you have any specific questions, you can PM me. good luck

Vvandenn

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I sorta have a question relevant to this thread also. I'm an incoming freshman pre-med student and have 21 credit hours coming in from Houston Community College that I took while still in high school/the summer before freshman year of college (now). Will this affect me negatively? I just took basic core classes, not any required pre-med ones. I'm not going to take anymore classes at the community college obviously since I am beginning my freshman year at a university. However, I will be classified as a sophomore next semester meaning I can probably graduate from college a semester early. Is this a bad thing in the eyes of medical schools? And I am speaking for all medical schools (the ivys and normal ones).

temmie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2005
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Vvandenn said:
Yeah, I sorta have a question relevant to this thread also. I'm an incoming freshman pre-med student and have 21 credit hours coming in from Houston Community College that I took while still in high school/the summer before freshman year of college (now). Will this affect me negatively? I just took basic core classes, not any required pre-med ones. I'm not going to take anymore classes at the community college obviously since I am beginning my freshman year at a university. However, I will be classified as a sophomore next semester meaning I can probably graduate from college a semester early. Is this a bad thing in the eyes of medical schools? And I am speaking for all medical schools (the ivys and normal ones).
Really, i dont think it will work to your disadvantage at all.On the contrary, i would say it looks good for a high school graduate to have college credit.i would suggest you just pay attention in college, get good grades, remember to have a life and be open minded. I mean dont be a blind pre-med. The farther you go, the more you realize that you dont know. you might find other interests along the way. good luck and i hope that was helpful

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
Community College classes won't hurt you. Many med schools even accept them as pre-req classes.

I know a few people who did prereqs at community college. Most of them non-traditional students. But the route of community college before a 4 yr university is becoming more popular route (and affordable) for many students across the US. Especially taking credits concurrent with high school enrollment to "get ahead" of the game.

SeaAngel45

10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
DR. EUGENIC said:
no they didnt and not spelling either....

Come on.....you can't mock someone's grammer when they are asking a genuine question, and not put apostrophe in didn't.

hermit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Medical Student
@jackieMD2007

Touché.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No biggie. Is that gun from counter-strike or something? It reminds me of this game that my husband plays on xbox or playstation or something.

W

WWU_Viking

to the OP....

If you don't mind, you can always finish your BA/BS at the 4 year and apply your last year if you want adcoms to see both years at your 4 yr school.

I went to a CC for two full years.I found that (since I slightly changed my major) that I will complete my degree in eight quarters so I have decided to do two sequences of Fall Winter Spring and Summer quarters.

I'm guessing there is a general stigma amongst adoms regarding CC course work. I'm in no rush so I've actually decided to spend one more year (three quarters) as a post-bacc student doing more undergrad work. I'm taking organic chemistry again as well (I have room).

Hope this helps.
----

in regards to your question an M.D i shadowed took two years off after high school, went to community college for one year, a university for 4 yrs and then Harvard Medical School.

astrolux

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
CA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
I did two years at Cuesta CC and then three at UCSB. I got accepted to Penn State and Drexel and I am sweating a handful of waitlists. I don't know what they said about my app behind closed doors, but my years at a CC never came up during interviews. In case you are wondering, I am not an URM.

DrA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Medical Student
A friend of mine did two years at cc and two years at a university...had a great GPA, MCAT scores in upper 20's, and got into med school just fine. Concentrate more on your grades than on what school you got those grades at.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
astrolux said:
I did two years at Cuesta CC and then three at UCSB. I got accepted to Penn State and Drexel and I am sweating a handful of waitlists. I don't know what they said about my app behind closed doors, but my years at a CC never came up during interviews. In case you are wondering, I am not an URM.
Hey I am familiar with Cuesta! I did some summers at SBCC while I was out there...cheaper than UC's summer session. Sweet!

ANYWAY:

I wasn't going to go here with people but I think I just might have to. :eek:
WHAT THE F IS WRONG WITH GOING TO A CC? NOTHING! Did this subject touch a nerve for me? You're damn right it did. I'm sick of the BS that surrounds transfer/community college students. I was not personally a transfer student, (I got lucky and got the college scholarship money I needed) but I worked in the office where we reviewed applications. I hope that anyone who went to a CC for some of their studies gets into school and does well. It is often hard to get people to step up and say they were a transfer or that they did their first few years somewhere else because of the stigmas attached or the dirty looks from others, but I am sure that there are a bunch of matriculants who did not do the traditional four year undergrad.

If I hadn't have gotten a good scholarship to college, I would have had to do the city college thing. And there are some truely great city colleges. So get off the stuck-up bullsh!t that goes along with it. It may turn out that some of the smartest people you know had a few years at a CC before they transferred to whatever undergraduate institution stuck a silver spoon in your @ss. That's all.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I have a buddy who went to berkely 2 years, kept a 4.0 while finishing 1.5 yrs of calculus, 1 year of bio, and a semester of physics. He transferred to a local JC and got his first couple of B's TRYING. It all comes down to the teacher being a jerk or not.

For undergraduate studies, its usually SMARTER to go to a CC (unless you're at one of the very few universities where there is a great teacher to student ratio for lower division classes). The education will be BETTER because you won't be sitting in a lecture hall with 400-800 students and you'll have an opportunity to interact with the professor on a point by point basis throughout the lectures. In addition, people like me who went to a JC for my UG studies didn't have to spend nearly as much money as those who didn't on our education. For example, I'm ZERO dollars in debt right now (at a U now). Another benifit of the low cost of the CC education is that when you make changes in the direction of your education and basically have a bunch of units sitting behind you that don't count for squat, you didn't lose much money in the process!

For upper division studies its universities all the way- that's a given for a number of reasons, but I'll outline the two most obvious for those of us who can't see very far past our noses. For one, most of them are only offered at 4 year colleges (durrrrrr). Two, I've never seen a JC with funding to conduct much of any research.

I'm starting to wonder how some of you people are planning on making it into medical school without the most basic of reasoning abilities.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
tncekm said:
I have a buddy who went to berkely 2 years, kept a 4.0 while finishing 1.5 yrs of calculus, 1 year of bio, and a semester of physics. He transferred to a local JC and got his first couple of B's TRYING. It all comes down to the teacher being a jerk or not.
This seems to contradict what you write below about community college being the place to get a better education. You seem to imply that professors at community colleges are more likely to be assholes or uncaring than at a nice university like berkeley.

tncekm said:
For undergraduate studies, its SMARTER to go to a CC. The education will be BETTER because you won't be sitting in a lecture hall with 400-800 students and you'll have an opportunity to interact with the professor on a point by point basis throughout the lectures.
This isn't true for sure. You could find a small university, possibly a liberal arts university and be just as happy there sitting in 20-30 person classes with cool professors with tons of office hours. My school the University of Montevallo is a small (~3000 students) public liberal arts university in Alabama and about as expensive as UAB or University of Alabama. So I think if you wanted to avoid the CC stigma but wanted a small college feel you could definitely find it without going to some big name liberal arts school. I find my professors very easy to approach and class size is always small (first gen chem had about 35 students).

Also I think the contention that the education will be better is just across the board incorrect. I'll put my school's professors up against any community college professors any day. They are always PhD's (except one in 3 years) and they are great educators, not just researchers with a teaching requirement assosciated with their job.

I don't want to start a flame war and say that people who go to community college are not as smart as people who go to universities. It is just that I prefer to remove as much stigma (warranted or not) from my application and going to a community college seems to me like it "could" be frowned upon by someone. Ultimately you will be graduating from a four year university and if you take high level courses and excel then nothing about your community college history should hold you back, but if you did very well on the CC level and had trouble at a university this could look bad. Although. probably not any worse than doing bad at a four year university for four years instead of two lol.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
True, there are some universities that have a very good student to teacher ratio. I should have mentioned that, great catch. Just in general, especially here in california, most of the universities have ridiculously large class sizes for lower division courses.

In that situation, you're correct, you'll probably get a more intelligent and better educated teacher at a university for your lower division courses.

I should retract that original statement and make it a "general" statement.

This seems to contradict what you write below about community college being the place to get a better education. You seem to imply that professors at community colleges are more likely to be assholes or uncaring than at a nice university like berkeley.
Okay, I misspoke, its not about the teacher being a bigger jerk in the respect that he will intentionally give you a bad grade b/c they're just mean people. But, we all know that some teachers try to make their classes as hard as possible. This happens at CC's as well as big U's.

dcolon_et06

Premed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Fresno City is where ill be for the next 2 years :). Thank god for Transfer Agreement Contracts. If all goes well, Ill be attending UC Davis before you know it :D. I was a nervous reck at first to decide between a CSU or CC->UC, but after hearing about soo many people succeed after using a CC to TRANSFER to a university (not for "easy A" summer school classes), it will all just depends on how well you played the triple threat in the end:
1. Number game - GPA.. stay consistent / MCAT
2. Research - Finding positions after you transfer to the big U / Summer research ops.
3. Letters/EC's - No reason why you cant volunteer while at a CC

IDforMe

Not recovered...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2005
Status
Medical Student
OP, to answer your original question, you can go to a CC, an unknown liberal arts college, or anywhere else for that matter. What will make a difference is your GPA, MCAT score and experiences with service/volunteerism/extracurriculars. Do your best and live your life. Stop sweating the small stuff like where you went to school for undergrad. Truly, it doesn't matter unless you are aiming for prestigious med schools that already give preference to students from Ivy's or those with grandparents and parents who went there, or perhaps Boston U. (who I hear doesn't accept CC credit-- I think they are the only ones, though).
I went to a CC, transferred to a small unknown liberal arts college that offered me a scholarship and will be starting orientation week at Loyola Stritch School of Medicine tomarrow. If it will help you out, take a look at the MDapps page in my signature. Best of luck to you.

W

WWU_Viking

I went to CC for two years, will complete a degree in 2 at a university but have also decided (so far) to do post bacc work for another year.

-----

Also a stigma may exists (amongst students and adcoms) against community colleges, one can not claim that CC's are "easier."

I have compared o-chem exams of the two instructors at my CC with those written my two instructors.at the most prestigous school in my state-University of Washington. I swear that the exams I took were much harder.

I'm still going to aim for a high GPA and super MCAT score. From what I've read about this topic, I think thats what really matters unless you are shooting for a med school like Harvard or other tops.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Between Heaven and Hell, benching like crazy
Status
Resident [Any Field]
IDforMe said:
OP, to answer your original question, you can go to a CC, an unknown liberal arts college, or anywhere else for that matter. What will make a difference is your GPA, MCAT score and experiences with service/volunteerism/extracurriculars. Do your best and live your life. Stop sweating the small stuff like where you went to school for undergrad. Truly, it doesn't matter unless you are aiming for prestigious med schools that already give preference to students from Ivy's or those with grandparents and parents who went there, or perhaps Boston U. (who I hear doesn't accept CC credit-- I think they are the only ones, though).
I went to a CC, transferred to a small unknown liberal arts college that offered me a scholarship and will be starting orientation week at Loyola Stritch School of Medicine tomarrow. If it will help you out, take a look at the MDapps page in my signature. Best of luck to you.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Great post.

This is the response I've gotten when I talked with all 8 Illinois med schools (including the osteo school). They're more interested in how you did in your classes and applied that to a standardized test than where you did your classes.

Sporky

Sporky
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Sugar Land, Texas
www.innovativehs.net
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, I am mostly a CC student now, having already completed my undergrad previously in a medically unrelated field (Religion). I am taking my pre-req's and U of H and Houston Community College.

Two of my prof's at HCC are prof's in the school of pharmacy at U of H also - Dr. Cherif and Dr. Adjei. They have introduced me to other students in similar situations who are completing their pre-req's at CC instead of re-attending a 4 year school.

Two of my classmates from last semester are beginning med school this fall in the Caribbean (where they were originally from) and one is completing an intership in micro at Prarie View before she starts at Loma Linda, I think (she is an adventist).

WHile I am enrolled at UH in the bio program, I do'nt expect to finish because I hope to matriculate next year. I am applying this fall - right now I'm waiting on my MCAT scores.

Also my advisor, who is a cardiologist completed much of his pre-req's at CC before he attended medical college of Wisconsin.

I appreciate HCC because they don't have exhorbitant, unrelated fees like U of H (breathing fee, walking on the grass fee, or that idiotic "fitness center "fee they charge you even if you never set foot in the stupid place.

Also, the marketplace is going to dictate that more people go to Community College because the quality of the product at 4 year schools is many cases is not keeping up with the dramatic tuition increases.

SeaAngel45

10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
For undergraduate studies, its usually SMARTER to go to a CC

Okay, I have NO problem with CC, I know plenty of transfer students who do just fine. However......for example...my friend who goes to CC...her physics class tests and quizes are all take home and this is the case for many of her classes.

Let's compare that with me who had a extremly difficult physics class and the tests were killer. I managed a A.....so did she. So, how does that compare????? People can't help but be bias because there is a good basis for it. The two educations do not often compare.

However, this doesn't mean, you should sit it a corner and cry. Just make the best of whatever situation you're in. CC or not, anyone can fulfill their dreams.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Between Heaven and Hell, benching like crazy
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SeaAngel45 said:
Okay, I have NO problem with CC, I know plenty of transfer students who do just fine. However......for example...my friend who goes to CC...her physics class tests and quizes are all take home and this is the case for many of her classes.

Let's compare that with me who had a extremly difficult physics class and the tests were killer. I managed a A.....so did she. So, how does that compare????? People can't help but be bias because there is a good basis for it. The two educations do not often compare.

However, this doesn't mean, you should sit it a corner and cry. Just make the best of whatever situation you're in. CC or not, anyone can fulfill their dreams.
Wow, umm, the 4-year university's A&P class teaches the same stuff as the A&P class I'm taking at a CC, but also has many extra credit points given and projects to do to raise your grade. The class I'm taking has NO extra credit. You have to do well on your tests, assignments, and labs in order to get an A. No bonuses.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
SeaAngel45 said:

There are teachers at U's that do the same thing. I've had plenty of friends who had gone to both U's and JC's and noticed no major difference, INCLUDING one of my friends who had attended UC Berkely and kept a 4.0. Now, I know there are some U's that are ridiculous. One of my buddies went to Emory and he said most of his classes were pretty damn tough and I'm not going to compare MIT to any JC, but in general you're not going to find any major differences between state universities and CCs for your undergraduate studies.

Hell, most of my CC teachers were retired university teachers working part time living in a nearby community. The guy who heads the physics department at my local JC is doing research for UCI that may land him a Nobel (he is a HORRIFIC teacher, however).

Just think about it guys...most of you come out of high school and go to a four year and do fine when we all know that you can get a 4.0 in HS writing essays while holding the pencil with ur ass. High school was so easy its ridiculous (the reason most ppl graduate with the equivalent of an 8th grade education). Why would a person from a CC do any worse? This is just a ridiculous debate.

This is like the MCAT v DAT debate. Some idiots are just looking for ways to make themselves feel special.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
megboo said:
Wow, umm, the 4-year university's A&P class teaches the same stuff as the A&P class I'm taking at a CC, but also has many extra credit points given and projects to do to raise your grade. The class I'm taking has NO extra credit. You have to do well on your tests, assignments, and labs in order to get an A. No bonuses.
No kiddin. My A&P teacher would never even think of giving anyone extra credit. If you didn't have every bone, msucle, suture, condyle, epicondyle, etc memorized for the grooling practicum, you're just screwed.

Sporky

Sporky
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Sugar Land, Texas
www.innovativehs.net
Status
Pre-Medical
tncekm said:
Just think about it guys...most of you come out of high school and go to a four year and do fine when we all know that you can get a 4.0 in HS writing essays while holding the pencil with ur ass.
I don't think I could do this. Plus, what about graphite, isn't it toxic?

:)

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status
SeaAngel45 said:

The same can be said of some four-year institutions. You should never generalize. As I just posted in another thread, I did some pre-recs at a CC. The class average in my chem class was a 58%. I was one of two A's in the class. Take-home tests? Absurd! My classes at CC were tougher in fact than most of my classes at the four-year school

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Sporky said:
I don't think I could do this. Plus, what about graphite, isn't it toxic?

:)
Hahha. You hold the eraser side, "silly" :D Just use two lines per word and it'll be cake, I promise.

M

Mr. McDuck

jackieMD2007 said:
No biggie. Is that gun from counter-strike or something? It reminds me of this game that my husband plays on xbox or playstation or something.
It looks like the N64 game Goldeneye.

NiteOwl

Geek
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
I think that CCs are fine as long as you take some classes at a four year or upper level university also. I have not applied yet, but I went to a CC for 2 years. I was pretty much required to go to a CC so I could transfer to the college I go to now because it is a college for jr and sr level students. I could have transferred from a regular college if I wanted to, but they don't have a preference to where you transfer from. So I chose the CC because they had smaller classes, they offered a lot of classes, and they had good professors. I am really happy I did, yes there were some easy professors and but there were some really tough professors too. I feel like I learned a lot and received a good education there. And I really don't think it will create a problem when I am trying to get into medical school, especially since I needed to take the courses somewhere to transfer to my school that I am at now.

oxeye

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I went to a community college my first two years in CA - transferred to UC Berkeley. I'm applying this cycle so I'll let you know.

I'm a non-trad, though. I graduated from Berkeley in 2002 and have been finishing pre-reqs at a different 4 year university. So I didn't try applying with only one year of coursework at Berkeley.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2001
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
Ya know, I think its pretty interesting that most of us here went to a JC/CC in California...and have successfully applied to a med school in the US, and in most cases to a UC med school :) :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am glad I'm a CA transfer student too..haha...now my question is, I wonder how transfer students from other states fair...especially at the ivy and/or east coast schools...other than Penn and so forth which have been mentioned already. I've seen a few threads in here that make some interesting claims as to the "inferiority" of CC coursework.

Heck I once had a comment imply that the UC med schools were sub-par because they took transfer students;). Go figure :rolleyes:

oxeye

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the reason there are so many people posting here about the CA CCs is for two reasons. CA has a huge CC system. CA CCs also have a reputation for being very good schools and very good preparation for a 4 year university.
Where I live now, the CC does not get the same amount of respect as the CCs did where I lived in CA.

I'm not sure if the respect thing is like this everywhere but it's just my observation.