This thread is encouragement for students attending CC wanting to go to Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I went to Cabrillo College in California and then transferred to UC Santa Cruz where I did my final 2 years. I waited until I graduated (2005) to apply, which was this past cycle. I got acceptances from Tufts and USC (Keck). I will be attending USC beginning in a few weeks. The only thing relevent to my CC experience that came up during interviews was a welding class that I took. They thought it was unique and wanted to know more about it. I even took some of my med school pre-reqs at CC like Gen Chem, Physics, and a Cell & Molec Bio class. In my experience CC science classes were harder than those at the university because none of my CC instructors graded on a curve like they did at UCSC. It was all on a straight percentage. If you wanted an A on a test you had to get at least a 90%. At the university there were times when a test score in the low 80's would earn you an A. I can also say that for the most part exams at the university were not more difficult than at CC.

Members don't see this ad.

I attended CC as well. I think the main thing is your performance once you transition. If you go from a 4.0 student to a 3.0 student that says alot and could allow people to scrutinize the academic difficulty between the two. I performed well in CC as well as at the university. Many of the professors taught the same classes at both the cc and the university so personally there was no difference. I could have taken the class at the univ to escape the stigma but I went with the cheaper route. I did 2 yrs at cc and 2 at univ. I am currently an MS3.

hermit said:
Did they every talk about punctuation at junior college?

Did they ever talk about not being a snide little pr!ck at home?

Members don't see this ad :)
ihavenoidea said:
I attended CC as well. I think the main thing is your performance once you transition. If you go from a 4.0 student to a 3.0 student that says alot and could allow people to scrutinize the academic difficulty between the two. I performed well in CC as well as at the university. Many of the professors taught the same classes at both the cc and the university so personally there was no difference. I could have taken the class at the univ to escape the stigma but I went with the cheaper route. I did 2 yrs at cc and 2 at univ. I am currently an MS3.
Doesn't matter what any of us say...of course, we CC guys are liars, too :D

Sporky said:
I don't think I could do this. Plus, what about graphite, isn't it toxic?

:)

Not really. It's carbon-based. Lead pencils were the cause of worry, especially since people used to lick the tip for smoother writing.

hehehe. I said lick the tip.

I took Bio I & II (both A's) and Gen Chem I (B) at the University of South Alabama. I started Gen Chem II and Physics I, but dropped both classes. I attended the Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College and took the following pre-reqs there: Gen Chem II (A), Organic I & II (B, A) , Physics I & II (both A's). Then I transfered to the University of Southern Mississippi and took upper level bio classes for my major. I will be attending the University of Mississippi Medical Center this fall.