This will decide whether I'll apply to pod schools or not....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I've asked this question in one of the other threads I've started which started off with a salary question. I thought I'd start a thread addrssing this issue specifically rather than as a part of a salary issue.
If I decide on a pod school, by the time I finish school and be ready for residency, I'll be 43 years old. I've learned from some informative members here that as a podiatrist these days, in order to be hired on by hospitals or ortho groups one needs to go throught a surgical residency training. It was stressed that general podiatrists do well as well. But, he stressed that the focus of the profession is changing and a general podiatrist will need business saavy which I'm not really interested in. I want to pracice medicine...not be primarily a business man. So, it appears that with some exceptions, as a podiatrist these days, going through a surgical residency is of paramount concern. My concern is my age. Will my age be a deterring factor in obtaining a surgical residency? I'm a bit concerned about contacting the schools to ask this question since I get the feeling that some pod schools recuruit potential applicants and thus may have skewed opinions on this matter.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your age is fine, besides there are many people older than you in professional school. You're not the first person who wants to start a new carreer or another carreer. Most residencies now are PMS 24 or 36 but there are still 1 year residencies out there but very few. If you enter podiatry school and when you apply for residency, it is rare if you do not get a surgical residency. In addition, it is probably best if you do a surgical residency if you want to get onto hospital staff, multi-specialty group or ortho group. However, if you choose to go into private practice, you can choose not to do surgery at all and be partnered with a podiatrist that will do surgery. Afterall, not all podiatrists want to do surgery.

Regarding the business aspect of it, I know how you feel. People need to keep their practice open in order to keep helping others. It's just one aspect of the job and it's related to every medical field.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of podiatrists out there who don't want to deal with the business aspect of medicine so they join multi specialty groups or work in a hospital setting. That will allow you to worry less about the bottom line and focus more on treating patients.

Hello all.
I've asked this question in one of the other threads I've started which started off with a salary question. I thought I'd start a thread addrssing this issue specifically rather than as a part of a salary issue.
If I decide on a pod school, by the time I finish school and be ready for residency, I'll be 43 years old. I've learned from some informative members here that as a podiatrist these days, in order to be hired on by hospitals or ortho groups one needs to go throught a surgical residency training. It was stressed that general podiatrists do well as well. But, he stressed that the focus of the profession is changing and a general podiatrist will need business saavy which I'm not really interested in. I want to pracice medicine...not be primarily a business man. So, it appears that with some exceptions, as a podiatrist these days, going through a surgical residency is of paramount concern. My concern is my age. Will my age be a deterring factor in obtaining a surgical residency? I'm a bit concerned about contacting the schools to ask this question since I get the feeling that some pod schools recuruit potential applicants and thus may have skewed opinions on this matter.
thanks

At this point there may be a few 1 year residensies available but by the time you enter and graduate all the residencies should be PSR 24 or 36 and most will be 36 if things continue in the same direction.

You cannot practice in any state with out a residency. Even Hawaii requires 1 year of residency. If you plan to enter pod school to become a practicing podiatrist you should plan on also doing a 3 year residency just in case things change by the time you graduate.

About not wanting to be business savvy, this comes with any job. Every busines needs to make money to survive. even a group practice cares about its bottom line and if you are costing more money that you bring in, there will be issues and concerns. This is a fact of life even for hospital employed docs.

Thanks for the replies. I'd prefer to work for a hospital or an ortho group which seems to mainly hire grads with 3 years of surgical training. Now, I know that in the MD world, older grads have a much more difficult time getting into some surgical residencies due to their age let alone getting into MD schools while DO schools are more open to older applicants. So, my thoughts are that if I were to become a podiatrist, I better go through a surgical residency...but as it is in the MD world, would I even be able to get into one or even obtain an employment as a podiatrist/surgeon with my age? This concern isn't as big of a deal if I go into a MD/DO school since there are numerous non surgical residencies which older grads can get into and get hired on by hospitals/medical groups. However, if as a podiatrist it is much more difficult to get hospital jobs/ortho group jobs without a surgical residency AND if it is more difficult to get surgical residencies/jobs as an older student, I need to re-evaluate my plan to see if the pod route will allow me to work as a surgeon or not. What I was trying to say about the "business saavy" is that if I were to become a podiatrist, I'd rather not only do what general podiatrists do, who normally do not get hired on by hospitals/ortho groups and must resort to opening their own business.

Thanks for the replies. I'd prefer to work for a hospital or an ortho group which seems to mainly hire grads with 3 years of surgical training. Now, I know that in the MD world, older grads have a much more difficult time getting into some surgical residencies due to their age let alone getting into MD schools while DO schools are more open to older applicants. So, my thoughts are that if I were to become a podiatrist, I better go through a surgical residency...but as it is in the MD world, would I even be able to get into one or even obtain an employment as a podiatrist/surgeon with my age? This concern isn't as big of a deal if I go into a MD/DO school since there are numerous non surgical residencies which older grads can get into and get hired on by hospitals/medical groups. However, if as a podiatrist it is much more difficult to get hospital jobs/ortho group jobs without a surgical residency AND if it is more difficult to get surgical residencies/jobs as an older student, I need to re-evaluate my plan to see if the pod route will allow me to work as a surgeon or not. What I was trying to say about the "business saavy" is that if I were to become a podiatrist, I'd rather not only do what general podiatrists do, who normally do not get hired on by hospitals/ortho groups and must resort to opening their own business.

I will be 37 when I graduate from Pod school. I have no other plan than getting a PM&S 36. Set your sights the same, do well, and it will be fine. It's about networking and putting yourself out there. Don't forget that you will have maturity in your favor.:D

I'm not quite sure if you understand...

If you enter pod school after 2008 you can only do a surgical residency. It is not like you will have a choice. It is not your best bet, it is not an option, it is what you will have to do to practice. The residencies are not allowed to descriminate based on age.

Well, thanks for the insight. I'll be applying to Temple. I found that AZPOD is a PBL program which I'm not very fond of. In theory it make a lot of sense. But, from what I've heard from people in it and from people who know people in it have told me it's a lot of time researching....and learning from peers rather than from professors. Perhaps PBL is a good idea from the second year and on. But, from the first year I think it's a bit inappropriate. Just my opinion. Anyway, thanks for all your inputs.

Well, thanks for the insight. I'll be applying to Temple. I found that AZPOD is a PBL program which I'm not very fond of. In theory it make a lot of sense. But, from what I've heard from people in it and from people who know people in it have told me it's a lot of time researching....and learning from peers rather than from professors. Perhaps PBL is a good idea from the second year and on. But, from the first year I think it's a bit inappropriate. Just my opinion. Anyway, thanks for all your inputs.

I would dare to guess that the PBL setting does not kick in until you get into a clinical setting. That is how it works at DMU and AZPod is a very similar model.

When it comes time to interview for residencies, without the PBL model you will be at a disadvantage. IMO.

At AZPod, PBL is only implemented in the workshops (classes outside of lecture). You basically learn everything in lecture and practice what you learned in the workshops. I think it's a great idea since it helps you review the material before the exam.

At AZPod, PBL is only implemented in the workshops (classes outside of lecture). You basically learn everything is lecture and practice what you learned in the workshops. I think it's a great idea since it helps you review the material before the exam.

You have PBLs for the basic science classes also? Are they required or elective?

You have PBLs for the basic science classes also? Are they required or elective?

For the first year, PBL is only used for physiology and biochemistry workshops. We have 5 lectures a week and a workshop which is PBL based so in a sense, it is required.

For the first year, PBL is only used for physiology and biochemistry workshops. We have 5 lectures a week and a workshop which is PBL based so in a sense, it is required.

Those are good courses for a PBL. DMU has similar PBLs in basic science but they are elective. Most students who do them say that they are great to review.