Thomas Jefferson in Negotiations to buy Fox Chase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Increased prices for cancer care in Philadelphia are likely to follow.

Reactions: 1 user
Good news. Too many LINACs, too many RadOnc attendings, too many residencies exist in Philly area.

Good news. Too many LINACs, too many RadOnc attendings, too many residencies exist in Philly area.

What makes you think any of this will change with merger? Seems more plausible they would remain in place. Different name or not.

JUH and FCCC provide specialty RO services that compete for the same patient pool (non-UPenn well insured residents of Philly and suburbs). JUH will consolidate them to cut costs, without a doubt.

What makes you think any of this will change with merger? Seems more plausible they would remain in place. Different name or not.

"without a doubt?"; all of the evidence suggests that consolidation increases costs by lowering competition

Linacs and residents arent going anywhere, if anything they will get more. Maybe some backend services will be consolidated. FCCC is one of ppo exempt 11 or so NCI Centers with lots of billing advantages. This gives Jeff more insurance leverage/chance to raise rates to approach those of UPENN, which is now the largest radiation department in North America.

Reactions: 1 users
Linacs and residents arent going anywhere, if anything they will get more. Maybe some backend services will be consolidated. FCCC is one of ppo exempt 11 or so NCI Centers with lots of billing advantages. This gives Jeff more insurance leverage/chance to raise rates to approach those of UPENN, which is now the largest radiation department in North America.
Penn is bigger than upmc+satellites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn is bigger than upmc+satellites?
thats what they claim as a radiation deparment. THey have bought departments and satellites in numerous community hospitals. From what I know, amazing faculty - lack arrogance and dogmatism of mdacc- but this is what future may be like for many of us- Large proton center, with multitude of satellites.

Last edited:
thats what they claim as a radiation deparment. THey have bought departments and satellites in numerous community hospitals. From what I know, amazing faculty - lack arrogance and dogmatism of mdacc- but this is what future may be like for many of us- Large proton center, with multitude of satellites.
Upmc has something like 60 cancer centers between two states

By the Numbers: UPMC Facts and Figures

Who knows

“There is the right way, then there is the Anderson way!!!”

Residents are safe, presuming combined Jeff+FCCC RadOnc will not be asked to cut spots to help meet total PGY quota. As for attendings and LINAC's, I'd not feel so safe. As it stands they directly compete and overlap, and are not overly busy.

As for attendings and LINAC's, I'd not feel so safe. As it stands they directly compete and overlap, and are not overly busy.

Contrary to the non-medical marketplace; consolidation in health systems rarely leads to doctors losing jobs. As posted above it almost always leads to monopolistic rent-seeking.

Reactions: 1 user
True, RadOnc attendings almost never get fired, they instead get "pushed out".

Contrary to the non-medical marketplace; consolidation in health systems rarely leads to doctors losing jobs. As posted above it almost always leads to monopolistic rent-seeking.

True, RadOnc attendings almost never get fired, they instead get "pushed out".

Decreasing or flat pay over years, more duties, less clinic support, and often with other demeaning situations.

Eventually it's either get tired of being taken advantage of and move on or just get taken advantage of for the long-term, which is often also agreeable to the institution. With the job market and huge non-competes, the latter option seems increasingly common to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Decreasing or flat pay over years, more duties, less clinic support, and often with other demeaning situations.

Eventually it's either get tired of being taken advantage of and more on or just get taken advantage of for the long-term, which is often also agreeable to the institution. With the job market and huge non-competes, the latter option seems increasingly common to me.

We will be resetting our expectations in the future. The best way to appreciate your job is to see others in similar situations get screwed even worse, such as experiencing all the above in some profit hungry private practice in the middle of nowhere.

Regarding consolidation, it is the primary driver of prices which is what is ruining health care. In other settings, society does not allow this, like with utility companies.

I can tell you with near certainty that when a hospital/health system acquires Rad Oncs, changes absolutely nothing, but yet is able to bill 300% of Medicare rates for precisely the same services that the MDs will not see any of that money.

Reactions: 1 users