Thomas Jefferson Medical College Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jetdirect2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Jet did you get in? I interview Feb 20th I hope to join you next year congrads all

Hi all, Just got accepted into Jefferson for the fall and I think I just might go there. I know its early but I'm really excited. Good luck dr midnight....I hope your interview goes well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted in Dec and will be attending , have started looking for housing already philly is expensive

cool!!! congrads, everyone who I see posts on SDN really loves Jeff I hope to join the great class of 2012

WOW! Our posts are few and far between. Is there no one out there??? Oh well, I'm still pretty excited about Jefferson. Fin aid and Housing are not my favorite topics but if anyone has suggestions...I'm all ears. Also, any idea when the "second look" is? I heard it might be in April sometime but I am really unsure

Hey, I was accepted in January and i am definitely going. Looking forward to August. All the students there seemed really happy.

Congratulations....od1986!!!!! I'll be going there too.

I interviewed last week wow great school. I can't wait to hear from them. I felt it went very well. they say I could know in a couple weeks

Glad your interview went well dr midnight....One of the great things about Jeff is that they do get back to you SOON... Best christmas present so far was my acceptance call....good luck :)

Hello future Jeffersonians....

Welcome to Jeff... almost everyone has a great time here.... we are located in a fantastic location... and we have some very strong departments medically... theres a brand new building and our president has created a comprehensive plan to upgrade the entire university and health system over the next several years.... so its exciting

one issue that you need to be aware of....is the housing.
there are 3 options for on-campus housing. orlowitz, barringer, and martin.

martin: is a college style, dormed building with shared bathrooms and very low rents...
barringer and orlowitz are apartment style dorms which have recently been upgraded and purchased by Philadelphia Management - an independent management group separate from Jeff....

you must do yourself a favor and stay away from orlowitz..... it is infested with mice and cockroaches.... it has several pipe leaks a year which destroy students' property, and fire alarms occur at all times of the night. this year the heat was unavailable for a majority of the building for weeks at a time, and students had to relocate to the martin bldg or hotels nearby.... the management is atrocious and since jeff sold the building they are unable to help you very much....

so my advice is to live in barringer.... or off campus... the neighborhood around jeff is very safe and has alot of nice apts to live in. i have moved off campus and live in a great place with a deck and pay only 600$ a month...

so... enjoy jeff...welcome.... but stay away from orlowitz....

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!!!!!! wow sooo happy. Jefferson is by far my top choice. I hope to attend. Getting into my state school may make it a decision for me but 90 percent i'll be going there!!

anyone looking at apartments? im a 22/m from CT pm me and lets get this thing going.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!! wow sooo happy. Jefferson is by far my top choice. I hope to attend. Getting into my state school may make it a decision for me but 90 percent i'll be going there!!

anyone looking at apartments? im a 22/m from CT pm me and lets get this thing going.

Congratulations! I can't even imagine how happy you must be right now. All this time waiting and finally! I am very happy for you!!!

Congrats everyone! I interviewed in jan and got my acceptance three weeks ago. After you send back the post card, do you get any other material in the mail? I just got the housing info but that's it.

anyone have any info on a second look?

Dear Future Jeffersonian,

We are planning our Second Look Event and Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks will be sending out invitations within the next couple of weeks. Please mark your calendars for April 24-25, 2008. This event will give you an opportunity to meet with faculty, administrators and students as well as gain more information about the wonderful opportunities offered at Jefferson Medical College.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Office of Admissions
Jefferson Medical College

just got the call today! i was on a crowded bus and had to ask her if this was an acceptance (the bus was very loud).

Congrats NJDIF! If you don't mind me asking, when was your interview?

Congrads!!! me too I can't believe I interviewed a week ago.. they called YAHOO!!!!

a week ago today. this is fastest i have heard from any school.

Dear Future Jeffersonian,

We are planning our Second Look Event and Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks will be sending out invitations within the next couple of weeks. Please mark your calendars for April 24-25, 2008. This event will give you an opportunity to meet with faculty, administrators and students as well as gain more information about the wonderful opportunities offered at Jefferson Medical College.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Office of Admissions
Jefferson Medical College

Do you know if it is going to be a 2-day event or just pick one of the 2? Can we take a spouse/partner?
Thanks.

Hello future Jeffersonians....

Welcome to Jeff... almost everyone has a great time here.... we are located in a fantastic location... and we have some very strong departments medically... theres a brand new building and our president has created a comprehensive plan to upgrade the entire university and health system over the next several years.... so its exciting

one issue that you need to be aware of....is the housing.
there are 3 options for on-campus housing. orlowitz, barringer, and martin.

martin: is a college style, dormed building with shared bathrooms and very low rents...
barringer and orlowitz are apartment style dorms which have recently been upgraded and purchased by Philadelphia Management - an independent management group separate from Jeff....

you must do yourself a favor and stay away from orlowitz..... it is infested with mice and cockroaches.... it has several pipe leaks a year which destroy students' property, and fire alarms occur at all times of the night. this year the heat was unavailable for a majority of the building for weeks at a time, and students had to relocate to the martin bldg or hotels nearby.... the management is atrocious and since jeff sold the building they are unable to help you very much....

so my advice is to live in barringer.... or off campus... the neighborhood around jeff is very safe and has alot of nice apts to live in. i have moved off campus and live in a great place with a deck and pay only 600$ a month...

so... enjoy jeff...welcome.... but stay away from orlowitz....

Thanks for all the information. I just found out that I can't have pets on campus, so can you give me information on which off campus apartments to look into. Also how soon should I get a lease, can I wait for July and still be okay. Thank you any help would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations by the way to everyone. I received the amazing phone call two weeks ago and it still hasn't sunk in.

Gigi, yes you can have pets.. live at Orlowitz and adopt a mouse or cockroach. ha ha ha just kidding... good luck looking see you there next year
y

Gigi, yes you can have pets.. live at Orlowitz and adopt a mouse or cockroach. ha ha ha just kidding... good luck looking see you there next year
y

:laugh:

Thats great news, but my tour guide was the one who told me no way, interesting.

So have you received the wonderful call yet? I am rooting for you :luck:

yes they called 1 week to the day... I got in:D I take you got in too Didn't you interview the same day as I did Feb 20th? congrads !! 95% chance I will be there I have an interview at USC in April and am wait listed at WF. I will have to look at fin aid. I LOVE JEFF. all good choices... Just need to look at fin aid. as of right now it is JEFF

where is everyone going to live. I have been thinking since I will be new in town I just might stay in Jeff housing???? not Orw... or Martin is the 2 bed or the 3 bed better. I am not going to get a car my first year. :D they say a dep by April 1 is needed....

I've seen a lot of questions about housing in Philadelphia. I've lived here for 3 years now and will be starting at Jeff in the fall. I think campus housing is always convenient for people who are new to the city. But if you want to explore off-campus housing options here is some advice:
More affordable neighborhoods with easy parking: The art museum/fairmount area and university city/west philly are much cheaper than center city. I've lived in Fairmount since I moved here, parking is great. Look on craiglist for apartments, and things will always be cheaper if you live in a rowhome instead of highrise apartments. There are great restaurants and bars, and the neighborhood is really pretty and residential. Depending on where you live in this area it isn't too far from Jefferson. It's also very close to Kelly Drive which is great for running/walking/biking along the river.
Close to campus: All the areas around Jefferson are very nice. Parking will be very difficult though, especially if you stay in the Washington West neighborhood, and prices may be a little higher than neighborhoods that are further away.
Close by transportation: Anywhere close to Market Street will be an easy train ride to school. The Market-Frankford line runs the along Market street and then diverts into North Philly. If you stick in Northern Liberties you'll be able to get to the Market Frankford line and apartments will be cheaper. Northern Liberties is a great neighborhood with tons of cute restaurants and bars, although it's a little further out from Center City.

A very rough map of the neighborhoods: http://media.point2.com/p2a/htmltext/8d9c/f44a/bd41/335b432d7cfc43c60af6/original.gif
Northern Liberties: Cute newer area with tons of restaurants/bars and a younger feel. Parking can be difficult, and a little far from Jefferson, but can get to campus via the Market-Frankford line.
Olde City: Beautiful part of philadelphia with a lot of cool places to hang out at night. Can get very crowded on weekends cause it's a pretty popular area to go out.
Society Hill & Washington Square: Very similar to Olde City in terms of architecture, but much more residential in feel. Not as crowded or busy at night, but very safe and desirable neighborhoods. Parking will be difficult and rents may be a little high.
Queen Village & Bella Vista: These are more artsy up-and-coming neighborhoods. Pretty residential, and rents will be a little cheaper than areas closer to Market Street. I would stay in these areas, but the closer you are the South Street the better. Once you get close to Washington Ave, you're pretty far from Center City and the neighborhoods might feel a little sketchy.
Chinatown: A pretty small section and quite close to a lot of great restaurants and areas. Very close to Jefferson.
Logan Square & Fitler Square: Residential neighborhoods, very safe, parking may be difficult.
Rittenhouse Square: A very happening place to be on the weekends with a lot of bars and restaurants right around the square. Also great boutique shopping. Rents will be very high and parking will be very difficult. Very safe neighborhood.
Loft District (aka SpringArts neighborhood) & Graduate Hospital: These two areas are the newest, so they're still a little fringe. Things can be pretty block-by-block with some great pockets with young families, and some pockets which are still pretty suspect.
Art Museum: As I said before, very nice neighborhood especiall the closer you are to Spring Garden Street and Fairmount Avenue. Tons of restaurants and bars on Fairmount, parking is easier, and rents are cheaper.
University City: Where the Univ. of Pennsylvania is located, so can be overrun by undergrads at times. Pretty nice place to live, and Penn is working hard to make it nicer. Lots of great bars and cute restaurants and a lot of young families live there. Parking will be easier than Center City and rents will be cheaper.

I hope this helps. If anyone has questions about places in Philly, if areas are dangerous or anything, please post questions and I'll try to respond as quickly as possible. I know how hard it is to move to a new city, especially when you don't know where the good neighborhoods are.

thank you Ashlee. I will prob stay city center or on campus because of location and I won't have a car. also I can't make it for second look and have no time to choose an apt. or a room mate. where would I stay until I find and Apt. not many would rent to someone they have never met. then my second year move off campus. do you know which is better the 2 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms

It sounds like living on campus would be your best option for your first year. That way you'll get to explore the city before making any decisions about where you should live. I don't know anything about on campus housing, so I can't help you there. But good luck!

FYI -- It's Jefferson Medical College, not Thomas Jefferson Medical College.

Wouldn't want anyone to embarrass themselves...

Congrats to all!

Anyone going?
I have class at the time it is scheduled, but I'm totally clueless about the whole fin aid subject so I'm pretty sure it's worth it to miss 1 class...
Plus, hopefully I'll get to meet some of you guys!

Anyone going?
I have class at the time it is scheduled, but I'm totally clueless about the whole fin aid subject so I'm pretty sure it's worth it to miss 1 class...
Plus, hopefully I'll get to meet some of you guys!

I'll be there!

Hi All--for those of you living off campus, I am leaving my apartment in Center City this summer, only a 20 min walk to Jeff:

3 story, 2 bedrm, 900+ sq trinity house for rent. Shared outdoor courtyard space for bikes, bbq, etc.

$1550/month
Move-in Mid-May/June 1st

For those familiar with Philly, the house is near 20th and South St. in Center City. Great, safe, centrally-located neighborhood close to Rittenhouse Sq:

If you have a car, there is reasonable street parking in the neighborhood.

Please PM me for more details. Some pics included in my CL posting:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/601354056.html

I will be looking for an apt very close to Jeff. I will not have a car. I prefer only 1 room mate ( but would consider 2) so a 2 bed 2 bath would be great willing to spend up to $750 per month plus util. I don't drink or smoke, I love to cook, very easy going. will pay rent on time and am very respectful. please keep my in mind. I am oos so I don't know my way around. does Jeff give a list for housing?

Has Jeff posted its tuition and fees for 2008-2009 yet? Can't seem to find it on their website.

Congrats everyone who just got accepted!!!!! I'm planning on visiting Jeff for the second look. I have to fly in..... so does anyone know if we can pick a day, leave early....etc. I could call admissions but didn't want to bother them with random questions. Also, I'm considering living off campus ....... 21/f, out of state, no smoking or pets.....Any suggestions please PM me.

Also...any suggestions / opinions on medical fraternities....they are cheap and probably fun but can you study and is it really advisable for 1st years?

Congrats once again y'all.

yes I just got an e-mail from Med frats, are they good? can you study? which are better. I want my own room. compare to Jeff dorms, only Barr. They sound so cheap... How do they handle the kitchen do they cook? how do you keep your food yours... I would love feed back or should I just live off campus as I am oos. thank you

yes I just got an e-mail from Med frats, are they good? can you study? which are better. I want my own room. compare to Jeff dorms, only Barr. They sound so cheap... How do they handle the kitchen do they cook? how do you keep your food yours... I would love feed back or should I just live off campus as I am oos. thank you

Have you ever experienced a fraternity house or multiple roommates? They're awesome if you like the people, terrible if you don't. Everything is shared responsibility, and I doubt they're going to cook for you. I think a part of second look week is dedicated to the different fraternities, so check them out and meet the people if you're interested.

yes I was in a frat as an undergrad. as an untrad. student I am not into the partying and drinking ( I did that as an undergrad). I like to cook but how do they divide food if you have 30 plus in the Ref. how big are the rooms? I can't make it for second look. I want my own quiet room. My e-mail says that there are 5 frats what is the diff? ( 1 is coed ed)

I won't be able to attend second look, but I am a little interested in some of the medical frats. Is there some sort of rush event in the fall?

I won't be able to attend second look, but I am a little interested in some of the medical frats. Is there some sort of rush event in the fall?
Here is what I received... I emailed back I will let you know what the reply.
Congratulations on your acceptance to Jefferson Medical College. The next four years will be an incredible time of growth, learning, and friendships which you will carry with you for your entire medical career. The Greek system at Jefferson Medical College provides an exciting living opportunity with many advantages not to mention significant savings.

There are five medical fraternities (1 coed) within two blocks of Jefferson which offer the most inexpensive housing anywhere in Philadelphia, as well as a network of friendships which will last a lifetime. Single and double rooms are available in all five houses for incoming first years for $165-$210 a month, including all utilities. Other amenities include free text books, furniture, cable television, and internet, pool tables, foosball tables, open bars, full kitchens, and washer/dryer facilities. If all of this is not enough, please consider that living in a fraternity will save you over $8000 a year compared to living in Jefferson Apartments (Barringer and Orlowitz) or neighborhood apartments, all of which are barren and with endless utility costs.

***Important: If you have already accepted Jefferson Housing, it is still possible to decline the housing option well into the middle of the summer. You are not locked into a university housing contract***

Medical fraternities are NOT undergraduate “frats”. There is absolutely no pledging, hazing, initiation fee, or constant, loud parties. All members are fellow medical students of all years with demanding schedules. Medical fraternities offer other significant advantages over single living. After a long day of studying, it feels great to decompress by playing pool with your peers, picking up a game of basketball, or just watching TV. Unlike students who come home to an empty apartment, house members typically eat together and plan house trips. The advice from upperclassmen about classes, rotations, and residencies is truly priceless. Thousands of alumni around the country provide a fraternal network which can be quite advantageous in one’s medical career.

In order to experience the advantages of living in a medical fraternity, I would like to invite you to our annual Intrafraternity Council Open House during Second Look on Friday, April 25, 2008. This evening is intended as an informal opportunity to tour each house, meet the current members, and see first hand the countless advantages of medical fraternity living.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be sending out more information about the Open House and the individual houses in the following days. Again, congratulations and welcome to the Jefferson family.

Sincerely,

Andrew Matuskowitz
President, Intrafraternity Council
724) 689-9272
[email protected]

Congrats everyone who just got accepted!!!!! I'm planning on visiting Jeff for the second look. I have to fly in..... so does anyone know if we can pick a day, leave early....etc. I could call admissions but didn't want to bother them with random questions. Also, I'm considering living off campus ....... 21/f, out of state, no smoking or pets.....Any suggestions please PM me.

Also...any suggestions / opinions on medical fraternities....they are cheap and probably fun but can you study and is it really advisable for 1st years?

Congrats once again y'all.

It looks like different things go on on the 2 days. On the 1st day there is a reception at night. On the second day you meet profs., students, and have to choose which clinical specialty you want to visit for the day.

Anybody chose their lender for Stafford loans? I was doing my application today on the JMC website and they recommend Wells Fargo, THE, and Access. They seem pretty much the same. I was planning on calling these companies tomorrow to find out about perks for repayment and such.
Anybody started doing some research on this?

I interviewed on 2/27 and am anxiously waiting for a response. Everything seemed to have gone extremely well. My student interviewer said he gave me a great review. My faculty interview went really well I think. How long can it take to receive a response? I see that many were called within a week. Yet others 4-6 weeks. I'm just very anxious. Any inputs?

I interviewed on 2/27 and am anxiously waiting for a response. Everything seemed to have gone extremely well. My student interviewer said he gave me a great review. My faculty interview went really well I think. How long can it take to receive a response? I see that many were called within a week. Yet others 4-6 weeks. I'm just very anxious. Any inputs?
You should call, I interviewed Feb 20 and got a call on the 27th I got in.

Anybody chose their lender for Stafford loans? I was doing my application today on the JMC website and they recommend Wells Fargo, THE, and Access. They seem pretty much the same. I was planning on calling these companies tomorrow to find out about perks for repayment and such.
Anybody started doing some research on this?

In comparing loan terms, what items are important?

Origination fee (should be waived?);

Discount for direct payment from bank account (what is the max discount that the banks are offering?)

Discount for good repayment record (is this available for Staffords)? If so, how is "good payment record" defined and what's the best deal being offered?

Anything else?

So I was put on the HIGH PRIORITY wait-list. I really want to go there BADLY and I have let the admissions office know. Anyone know of past HIGH PRIORITY waitlisters and their experience in securing a spot?

In comparing loan terms, what items are important?

Origination fee (should be waived?);

Discount for direct payment from bank account (what is the max discount that the banks are offering?)

Discount for good repayment record (is this available for Staffords)? If so, how is "good payment record" defined and what's the best deal being offered?

Anything else?

From what I've seen nobody is offering "good payment record" discounts due to the current crisis in the market. I did not like Wells Fargo, answering system like any big company and no discounts whatsoever. THE was the nicest but it looks like they don't know what the terms are going to be until midsummer (and does not look that good). Access had the best deal with a .25% reduction for automatic withdrawals. All of them 0% origination and default fees and one capitalization right before repayment starts. Please share your findings/opinions as I have not decided yet.